View Full Version : Would you buy an MSN Direct watch?

Perk
02-17-2004, 01:06 AM
I'm a gadget nut. The smaller it is, the better. I truly need my iPAQ during a workday, no question. However, I can't stop wondering how it would be to wear one of these little gems.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/images/features/2003/11-19comdex-spot.jpg

http://direct.msn.com/About/default.aspx

They cost anywhere from $130 to $300 and require subscription service. You can pay $10 per month or just $60 per year. It syncs data via FM radio and can send channel services like what I now get from Avantgo. In addition, it says it will sync my Outlook appointments and receive msn messenger service, keep the watch atomic synced with local time wherever I go and it's rechargable to to support it's bright backlight function and the processor within.

If you got one, I'd REALLY love to hear from you. What's it really like. Is it buggy? How does the calendar alarm perform? etc.

Steven Cedrone
02-17-2004, 01:09 AM
I'm not really a watch person, but I will probably try it. I just wish they would make a "Pocket Watch" version!

Steve

Vincent M Ferrari
02-17-2004, 02:45 AM
I definitely would. It would solidify my role in the office as the resident gadget whore ;-)

arnage2
02-17-2004, 03:11 AM
i will. I am always on the technological edge. I have to maintain my title.

Ill have a smartphone, portable media center, wm2004 device and a smart watch for junior year of high school. (next school year)

jimski
02-17-2004, 06:28 AM
Not quite the same, but I have been using a Timex Skypager Watch for the past year and while it has eliminated the need for me to wear a pager on my belt, it can sometimes be a pain.

I receive weather & news updates and sports scores for my favorite teams. Can also receive short messages but I can't get anyone to send them. While I sometimes look forward to the info, a.)I usually already know what it is beeping me about (news story, etc.) or b.)It seems to beep at the most inoportune time.

It automatically updates the time constantly so as a watch, it works. But is is sure geeky. If it was not for the pager feature, I would not think of wearing it. (Why can't they add a pager chip to a PDA or a cell phone - it fits in this watch).

One thing I do like is the zinc air battery that gives me 5-7 weeks between changes.

GoldKey
02-17-2004, 01:45 PM
I would, but service is not available in my area.

Sheynk
02-20-2004, 02:15 AM
I am a bit skeptical of this.

Wes had some interesting experiences with his Fossil Spot watch that he posted on his site....good stuff. http://www.wessalmon.com/000235.html#comments

Mitch D
02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm not really a watch person, but I will probably try it. I just wish they would make a "Pocket Watch" version!

Steve

Creating Pocket Watch version of SPOT watch:

(1) Remove Band
(2) Stick watch in pocket
(3) enjoy

:wink:

Sorry Steven I couldn't resist...

Wiggster
02-21-2004, 09:58 PM
I voted "No, it's too geeky for me" when I wish I could have voted "While coveting it, I find that I have no disposable income to devote to such an extravagance".

I'm all in favor of geeky, but a few financial windfalls have befallen me, and since my phone has internet, I can pretty much get all that information from my start page.

Curses!

dean_shan
02-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Doesn't work in my area. So it's a no go from the start.