View Full Version : ActiveSync Contacts... Only Sync... not working?

Mark_Venture
02-17-2004, 12:46 AM
iPAQ 2215, ActiveSync 3.7.1....

In Outlook, I've setup my contacts with Categories. (work, family, friends, etc)

In ActiveSync, I've selected the radio button to "Synchronize only those contacts in the following selected categories:" and selected 4 of 6 categories.

I expected this to mean that only contacts in those 4 categories would be synchronized between Outlook and the handheld, and those remaining two categories would not be.

BUT, when I sync, AS still syncs ALL contacts, reguardless of their categories.

What did I miss? Is my expectation wrong? did I do something wrong? or does this feature not work?

ale_ers
02-17-2004, 11:11 PM
I had the same expectations and the same problems. Only I compounded it by deleting the contacts that I didn't want on the computer and I expected it to NOT sync those deletions. Which of course it did. Thank God for the trash bin.

I would love to figure out how to get this to work.

ale_ers
02-18-2004, 10:41 PM
I did nome research on cewindows.net and found that if you sync on 2 computers you have to have the same catagories selected on each computer. They did say that you can buy 3rd party software to get around this issue.

It's not worth it to me, but I thought I would pass on my findings to anyone who is interested.

WindBag
04-22-2004, 08:06 PM
iPAQ 2215, ActiveSync 3.7.1....

I expected this to mean that only contacts in those 4 categories would be synchronized between Outlook and the handheld, and those remaining two categories would not be.

Is my expectation wrong? did I do something wrong? or does this feature not work?

Me too. I think your expectations perfectly reasoinable.

Myself & Partner have been trying to go "all electronic" as she got annoyed that I wasn't filling in the paper calendar any more. We'd thought about the problem of having each other's work appointments going off at the wrong times, found categories, and thought the control would work. If only those who sold such things realised that such inability to deal with something so blindingly obvious gives electronic working a bad name. To be asked for 40 GBP to cure this inadequacy via third party for each device is a substantial fraction of the purchase price!

Do senior Microsoft execs have partners? Do their pocket PC's go off when their wives/husbands are due to go to a meeting? I bet they don't. So why does they expect us to put up with such shoddy implementations? Bah!