View Full Version : Restoring Partnership between 2 machines

bdegroodt
02-16-2004, 12:45 AM
I just hard reset my 4355 for the 4th time since I bought it (nothing extra installed). Each time I hard reset, I have to recreate a partnership on 2 machines. And I end up with a) duplicate contacts on one or both machines, plust the PPC and b) for some reason, I can't use the same file folder (my ppc documents) on the PCs.

Can someone give me the step by step guide on how to get back to normal? I want to establish partnerships between 2 machines that have the same data (work and home), and would like to do it this time without having to copy over the contents of the documents folder for a 5th time and most importantly, without having to delete 1,500 duplicate contacts.

Any help appreciated. Hope this time my PPC can behave, or it's off to the eBay graveyard with it.

ecard
02-16-2004, 01:22 AM
I will give you my trick...

1. Once you hard reset you PDA, sync with the PC #1. This should bring everything back to your PDA.

2. Before you sync on PC #2. You have 2 options.

Option #1, (bit risky, don't have a backup). On PC #2, delete all the appointments, contacts, tasks, and rename your Sync Folder.

Option #2. On PC #2, instead of deleting, add a Crappy Category (in my case I use "zCrap") to all your appointments, contacts, tasks, and also rename your Sync folder (this will act as a backup). You can assign a category (in outlook) by changing your view (I always us View by Category), then select all the appointments, then right click, select Category, then add a extra category. Don't change any other categories.

3. Sync you PDA with PC #2, create the new Partnership, and when it ask how to resolve your collisions, choose combine.

4. If on step 2 you choose Option #2, then you will end up with duplicate on your PDA and PC #2. On your PC #2 delete sort your appointments, contacts and tasks on category, and delete everything under zCrap category.

If you choose Option #1, you don't have to delete anything. You should be done.

Hope this help. It seems complex, but it is really not.

Let me know if it works,
ECard

baker
02-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Outlook Duplicates Remover: http://www.hlyspirit.org.uk/cms/index.php/Outlook_Duplicates_Remover/7/0/

I don't know how you avoid the duplicates on both machines, but you could sync with one, run the duplicate remover and before you sync on the second pc, delete all on the second pc and then sync with the second or sync and run duplicate remover.

I sync with Outlook at home and Lotus Notes via mNotes at work and run across this every now and then too.