View Full Version : What a crappy Valentine's Day!

karinatwork
02-15-2004, 07:42 AM
Oh man. I booked that great table at the town's most romantic restaurant three weeks ago, just to make sure that we would get a table for Valentine's, plus the baby sitter (just to make sure because it's a Saturday night) and I got this totally romantic card, and all, and I had so many great plans for the day... and then I get sick!!! :cry:

It's been going on for 4 days, and today I finally got diagnosed with sinusitis. I couldn't even sit in front of the computer, because this sinusitis is accompanied by the worst headache I ever experience in my life. Now I'm on antibiotics but it doesn't seem to get better. It just sucks. My pocket pc has this really romantic heart theme, but who has looked at it at all today? Too much pain around my eyes. I better go. Just wanted to whine a little. *sniff*

I just hope that all of you had a much better day (and night)! *snort*

K.

Jeff Rutledge
02-15-2004, 07:51 AM
That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear you had such a lousy day. A lot of people don't really care too much about Valentine's Day. Why couldn't one of them get sick eh? ;)

Maybe you can reschedule in a couple weeks? This year Valentine's could be on the 28th.

Jeff Rutledge
02-15-2004, 07:58 AM
As for me, my wife and I took a slightly less romantic approach this year than we have in the past. Instead of dinner and flowers, we joined two other couples at the Calgary Roughnecks lacrosse game. Unfortunately, they blew a four-goal lead and ended up losing in overtime. :(

It was still a good night, though I suspect any night out is a good night when you have a nine-week old. :)

karen
02-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Tha's awful...Here's a story that might make you laugh..

One VD Day I was running to my desk between meetings and my phone was rigning...it was the front desk...I had flowers!!!

All excited that my husband had remember, early no less, I ran up the stairs and there was a really nice boquet. But wait...the card said "Happy Valentines Day, Love Mom. Wow, what a nice surprise.

I had to run off to my meetings...I felt bad that never had time during the day to call my Mom and thank her. When I got home that night, there was a message on my answering machine...the cards had been mixed up and some other wife was busy trying to explain why she got flowers from my husband.

I thought it was a hoot that my mom got oodles of points that day and my hubby got none...'til later.

ironguy
02-15-2004, 08:15 PM
We had originally intended to go to California Cafe for dinner, but there were no reservations between 4pm and 10pm. OK, Let's get Outback to go. I called Outback and ordered. We were going to get our dinner and watch 'Under a Tuscan Sun'. During the day my wife had been feeling peculiar. Turns out she has a UTI (Urinary tract infection), so while I left for Outback, she was on the phone with the help nurse trying to get a prescription to take care of it.

I got to Outback and therer were 20 people ahead of me at the take-out window. It took 40 minutes to get my food. Dumb Outback was taking people in order of whe they arrived rather than when there food was ready. I had ice cream in the car. Fortunately it didn't get too soft.

I got home and my wife was still on the phone with the help nurse. Finally the nurse agreed that the Dr would call the pharmacy to get things taken care of. We put on the movie and sat down to our long-lamp heated dinner.

Not one bite later the phone rang. It was my brother-in-law. He told us my father-in-law had a heart attack that afternoon and they were in the emergency room. We couldn't leave yet as my wife needed the meds for her UTI. But she handled the calling of the rest of the family (8 siblings). We managed to get most of our dinner finshed between many phone calls when the pharmacy called. I left, picked up the meds and went home. She took them and we waitedfor them to take effect. We did finish the movie - although we paused no less than 20 times for phone calls. Finally we left for the hospital and syated ther until 2 am.

Whew. Sometimes the cleansing fires of our trials burn hotter... :!:

karinatwork
02-16-2004, 02:52 AM
Ironguy,

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law. I hope he'll get better. I'm also sorry that someone had to have a more horrible VD than me, and it makes me feel bad for whining so much.

My headache is not gone yet. If it doesn't get better in a couple of days I might have to go to the hospital for surgery. And that doesn't even scare me, as long as this horrible pain is going away.

Once more, all the best for your father in law (and your wife). I am sure that we'll all going to feel better at the end.

Btw, we watched that very same movie last night. This is the very town where I used to live a few years ago. So many memories. :D

K.

Jon Westfall
02-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Karina,

I empathize with your situation. Last 2 times I've been with my girl (We are a long distance relationship) I've gotten sick - its horrible. And sinus headaches - I got my worst one the first day I started teaching adult-education classes. I let a 12 pm class (8am - 12pm) out at 10:30 because I physically couldn't function. It was a horrible way to start. Thankfully, I haven't gotten bad sinus since.

Hope things look up for you, get (completely - physically, emotionally, mentally) well soon and back to us!

jbachandouris
02-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Here's my vent:

I was laid off on Thursday and released from the Electrician's Apprentice Program on Friday. My wife was so upset, she came home from work for less than an hour and took our daughter with her to her mother's house and did not return until 10pm (5 hours later). Saturday, when I presented her with a card and candy, she said 'take them back' since money is pretty tight right now. Then at noon she left the house until 5:30pm and then she was in a little better mood. No romance, just a McDonald's meal between the 3 of us.

Oh well, maybe Friday, our anniversary, will be better. It's our 4th year together and I hope I can get a job prospect to help ease the stress.

So K, even though I did not have physical pain, the emotional pain of the last few days has been pretty bad. Oh BTW, Sunday, I was involved in a minor car accident :<.

buckyg
02-16-2004, 08:54 PM
My wife & I both have been trying to fight off the flu, unsuccessfully. So, yeah our V Day pretty well sucked too. It's not as bad as what some of you have mentioned, though. Hope things are starting to look up for everyone with the new week.

karinatwork
02-17-2004, 04:57 AM
My wife was so upset, she came home from work for less than an hour and took our daughter with her to her mother's house and did not return until 10pm (5 hours later). Saturday, when I presented her with a card and candy, she said 'take them back' since money is pretty tight right now. Then at noon she left the house until 5:30pm and then she was in a little better mood. No romance, just a McDonald's meal between the 3 of us.

I really, REALLY hope that your wife can relax a little and help you out emotionally. It's probably hard enough on you, you don't need her to make it even worse. I'm sure you are going to find a new job soon, and in the meantime, even a job flipping burgers would help you out of a financial low.

I'm totally sorry about all the trouble you're having, and I'm going to wish you lots of luck for the future. It's going to be ok, I'm sure.

When it comes to me, I just got the results back from my doctor today. It looks worse then they thought. The X-rays show that I've had a chronical sinus infection for quite some time now, and that it spread above the eyebrows is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm probably really going to need surgery. I said to my husband earlier, while they are working inside my nose, maybe they can give me that little nose job I was wishing for. :wink: My dear husband got all upset and said that I had a beautiful nose and that nobody should touch it! :D That's better than any Valentine's dinner in the world!

Oh yes, and I do feel better. The antibiotics have finally kicked in, it seems.

I'm thankful that so many of you answered to this thread. It just makes it a great community, that so many people help you, not only when you need to find out how to avoid a hard reset to your pocket pc, but also when your life is in a slump and you need a little bit of compassion. At least, that's what I found here in the last couple of days.

:D

Paul Martin
02-17-2004, 05:30 AM
Glad to hear you're feeling a little better. My wife and I spent our first Christmas with the flu...we both layed in bed and didn't feel like opening presents.

My wife has had 2 sinus surgeries. After the recovery, she does feel better. Hope it works for you!

famousdavis
02-17-2004, 06:13 AM
It looks worse then they thought. The X-rays show that I've had a chronical sinus infection for quite some time now, and that it spread above the eyebrows is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm probably really going to need surgery.

You know, I always wondered why your avatar had you holding your head just so...now I think I understand! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

(Sorry...couldn't resist...but at least I waited until you were feeling better....I wanted to chime in early on this thread, but that was just a little too cheeky, even for me!). :wink:

karinatwork
02-18-2004, 01:46 AM
You know, I always wondered why your avatar had you holding your head just so...

Well, this picture is a self portrait (with the help of a tripod and a timer), and when I took the picture my hair looked really dumb and I tried all kinds of ways to arrange it but it kept looking messy, so at the end I just tried put my hands up to my head to kinda cover is up, and I liked the result more than I thought.

(Sorry...couldn't resist...but at least I waited until you were feeling better....I wanted to chime in early on this thread, but that was just a little too cheeky, even for me!). :wink:

That's funny! :mrgreen: Thanks for waiting! At least now my head doesn't hurt anymore when I'm laughing!! :lol:

K.