View Full Version : How to convert .wmv (v9) to .mpeg?

Palm Cow
02-15-2004, 06:09 AM
I have some .wmv v9 video that I want to have on my e550g. But, I can only find up to Windows Media Player 8 for PPC (came on companion CD). So, I either need Windows Media Player 9 for PPC (can't find on Google) or some free, easy way to convert it to whatever for of MPEG Pocket-Tv uses (I think it's MPEG-1, maybe MPEG-1 and MPEG-2). Free is good, too. Thanks guys.

Mitchybums
02-15-2004, 06:21 AM
first : Reencoding movies already made small for pocket pc use is not a good idea.

If the movies are however normal size, or if you want to try it, you can use Windows Media Encoder 9 to convert the movies to wm8 format.
If you do the update on the pocket pc, (that is if it's running ppc2002 and the update for media player, the sound can be wm9, but the video needs to be wm8.

Thats the easiest way.
To convert it to MPG for free can be done by using a windows port of FFMPEG compiled with wmv support to do that, but basicaly it's not that easy since it's a commandline program.

Palm Cow
02-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Oh okay, so if I get WMP9 for my PC, I can convert it back to WMP8 format? Okay, I'll try it.

tom dunne
02-16-2004, 06:31 AM
You may like to consider TMPGEnc - it's freeware and quite simple to use. It will convert .wmv to mpeg for you and not a command line in sight.