View Full Version : Is a screen protector necessary when using the highest quality stylus tip?

ng608
02-14-2004, 07:24 AM
All screen protectors that I tried affected the vibrancy of the color, and the writing surface; therefore, I decided not to use a screen protector. However, I am using the highest quality stylus tip made by Panache stylus. Is the screen protector necessary in your opinion? Thank you. :)

JGRicci
02-14-2004, 07:28 AM
I've been using my new hp4150 naked for a month now, and there are no extranneous marks just from using the stylus that comes with it. The screens are so smooth and seem to be unaffected thus far.

you can always just touch the screen a lot with your fingers and get a nice layer of grease lubrication on there to further safeguard it :P

dmacburry2003
02-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Just so you know 8)

I would DEFINITELY get a screen protector no matter what. It protects not only from stylus scratches but from foreign object scratches, dirt, dirt caught under stylus scratches, etc.

Put it this way, "better safe then sorry".

Besides, I would spend twenty on a bunch of protectors then twenty on a stylus.

Color degradation is not too much of an issue. I see the screen, not the pixels :D

And most screen protectors actually increase the accuracy/ease of writing on the Pocket PC.

jimski
02-14-2004, 08:36 AM
I can only write on a screen WITH a screen protector. A naked screen feels like I am writing in a pool of vegetable oil. My current protector has been on for months and aside from an occational cleaning, it's not ready to go anywhere. There is a slight difference in screen clarity, but after a day or so it's not even noticable. I keep my 5450's brightness level at about 40% which is plenty bright for me. And oh yeah, it also protects your screen from scratches.

Stone
02-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I've had a screen gaurd on my device for over 5 years and would never go without! The best I have found thus far are the ScreenGuardz (http://www.pocketpcmall.com/product_info.php?products_id=566). Great price and great value!

These are the non-adhesive type. After using a different brand with adhesive backing for several years, these are amazing!

We have had a great response from everyone at our local user's group who has used the ScreenGuardz brand.

Kowalski
02-14-2004, 09:40 AM
i still dont get it. i dont use a protector and no i dont plan to use in the future. how can a thin plastic cover your screen and protect your device from straches?

WillyG
02-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Id say no. I havent used a screenprotector since back in the Casio E10 days (and thats a while a go). My screens never got any scratches. Make a habit out of stroking your stylus tip against your fingertip or pants (to make sure there is nothing on the tip). Clean your screen now and a while and you will be fine. PDAs are made for beeing used.

Doug Rausch
02-14-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm firmly in the screen protector camp. I actually wore through the top layer of my old Aero 1550 (the area over the letter recognizer) when that was my primary PDA. Granted the screens are soooo much better now but I'm still not taking any chances.

I've used several brands of protectors but have settled on WriteShield from PocketPC Techs. They are a great quality and feel very good to write on. Almost paper-like.

Anyway - that's my two cents.

pacemkr
02-14-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm not going to commment on use or not use factor, its completely up to you, but ill say this.
You can try Martin Fields screen protectors. I am VERY critical of such things and even though I tried only Belkin protectors and now MartinFields, I am willing to agrgue that these protectors are virtually invisible. Belkin went back for return withing 2 minutes. MartinFields was a PAIN to apply, but works beatifully. I only started using the screen protector, because my screen already got some scratches (dust I suppose). With these protectors though I simply dont have to worry about scratching the screen and there is absolutely no degration to anything. The feel was a little different, but honestly I got used to it withing a few minutes and frankly my first impression was that the feel was better. I also dont get the idea of glare protection and martin fields look like the naked screen (doesnt have glare protection). The glare protection only makes the screen dimmer or blured in my opinion.

My only "gripe" with martin fields is that at some spots the sides of the protector do not stick to the screen (about 1 mm), but this is where the black area of the screen is (around the actual viewing area). When the screen is on I cant see it. When its off, it doesnt matter :lol:, but you can see these spots. Keep in mind that I am very critical of such things and if I see a slight degration in screen quality I would still take it off.

PPCMD
02-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Even the best stylus will grab that tiny spec of dust and scratch it. The cost to repair is more than the small loss of transparency. Now if they could just build better screens I would pay a bit more for them to be scratch resistant.

dmacburry2003
02-15-2004, 07:38 PM
How do Tablet PC's survive without screen protectors? 8O They have to be able to scratch. Then again, the tech specs on one of them said "electromagnetic digitizer" so maybe the pen is magnetic and the screen is magnetically sensitive, which means that they could put the most non-scratchable sheet on there be it as thick as it may, and the pen would be detected as it glides across the screen. (this is really just a guess) Still, it could scratch. I imagine it would have the same type of sheet that the MobilePro 880 has nevertheless.

Anybody have a Tablet PC? (ah, I guess your Pocket PC may have taken care of one of those :wink: )

JvanEkris
02-15-2004, 09:07 PM
TabletPC's do not have to be touched. The screens are not sensitive to touch and therefor can be made much harder...

IMHO, a screen protector is necessary. When i look at my screen-protector, it has wear and tear on certain spots after a year. Not anoying (yet), but visible. Especially around the X from closing applications. My wifes PDA has severe markings around the place where the new cards are in solitaire. I rather replace a screenprotector after a year, then a screen......

Jaap

Janak Parekh
02-15-2004, 10:59 PM
JvanEkris is correct on the Tablet PC. They use electrostatic digitizers.

As for the Pocket PC, I'm in the no-protector camp. Despite that, I treat my Pocket PCs extraordinarily well. My officemate was shocked to see that my i700's screen still looks like new. It does, though, because I wipe it with a wet paper towel every single day. Dust buildup is the biggest precursor to scratches, since the stylus can catch it. If you're careful, though, you probably won't get any. 8)

--janak

PR.
02-15-2004, 11:57 PM
I have a couple of scratches on my 14month old iPAQ 5450. I can blame this on Pocket PC Thoughts as they were all caused by my free game of Gamebox Solitaire :D

I did try a screen protector but it looked awful, so I took it off again. The truth is while my iPAQs screen is scratched I will probably be replacing it in a few months with the 6300 and then the 5450 will join my other PDAs in their original packaging for 'old times sake' :)

Andy Whiteford
02-16-2004, 12:10 AM
In my opinion a screen protector is essential but that is a subjective thing. Through extensive use though a screen will show signs of wear - usually in areas where screen contact is required more such as the start menu or the soft keyboard. There are screen protectors that will mimic a naked screen i.e. no lack of vibrancy and smooth finish if you don't like the ones that reduce glare and mimic the paper touch.

tanalasta
02-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Yes, a screen protector is essential unless you don't care about scratches to your screen. Why?

1. The styli that come with your device are expensive and good quality - but sooner or later you might drop it. And are you really going to buy a new expensive stylus over a screen protector?
2. Everyone gets lazy and occasionally use their fingernail, whatever pointy device, pen or even mechanical pencil (my bad) on hand if they can't find their stylus within immediate reach.
3. Sooner or later you will drop a pen, metal ruler or other object that may potentially scratch your screen.
4. Screen protectors are easier to clean and reduce fingerprints - which are almost as annoying as scratches. (except reversible)
5. Show your device to your friends and let them play with it - they won't take anywhere near as much care of the screen as you will. And even after a while, you'd get absent minded enough one day.
6. If you screw up and scratch a protector, you can replace it. Screens are expensive. Like very very very expensive.

The only reason not to get a screen protector? You're a perfectionist who doesn't like having something that may obscure the clarity of a non-scratched, uncovered screen and have enough money to buy a new one at the drop of a hat should it get scratched (or not care at all because you don't love your PPC that much).

Kati Compton
02-16-2004, 05:06 PM
As for the Pocket PC, I'm in the no-protector camp. Despite that, I treat my Pocket PCs extraordinarily well. My officemate was shocked to see that my i700's screen still looks like new. It does, though, because I wipe it with a wet paper towel every single day. Dust buildup is the biggest precursor to scratches, since the stylus can catch it. If you're careful, though, you probably won't get any. 8)
A wet paper towel? I'd think *that* would scratch the screen. Paper towels are surprisingly abrasive...

Rod3
02-16-2004, 05:15 PM
I use a little Son Of A Gun plastic protectant on a soft cloth to wipe over my screen. (It's made by STP for cars) I've never had a scratch, except one that a G2 screen protector put on one of my old PDAs. That stopped me from screen protectors. I don't get it anyhow, what are you saving that screen for? Somebody on eBay? 8O

PetiteFlower
02-16-2004, 07:30 PM
I think that the heaviness of your hand when you write has more to do with whether you will scratch your screen then what kind of stylus you have. And remember that screens can get scratched other ways besides being written on! If you carry it without a screen-covering case, then it's vulnerable to anything in your pocket or bag that you carry it in.

dmacburry2003
02-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I use a little Son Of A Gun plastic protectant on a soft cloth to wipe over my screen. (It's made by STP for cars) I've never had a scratch, except one that a G2 screen protector put on one of my old PDAs. That stopped me from screen protectors. I don't get it anyhow, what are you saving that screen for? Somebody on eBay? 8O

I'd be saving the screen for me of course! I wouldn't want my pretty--now a bit more ugly--little baby to look like I found it in a dumpster! :wink:

I have an old Visor Deluxe (I have several actually) that I took apart to play with. I ripped out the screen and began testing it to see how badly it would scratch.
How it scratched:
Pen (ink)-BIG scratch, but had to use quite a bit of pressure before the give. Now there is ink in the slit and everything.
Teeth (oww)-Very scratchy. The teeth made it give way quickly.
Knife-Ohh this was fun. I kept rocking the knife back and forth to make a star. The cuts were thin, obviously, but they were deep; to the bone.
Rubbing it on the edge of the desk-This made some skid marks on the screen. The low quality wood ( :wink: ) or not even wood at all left chips among the screen.

Hehehehe with a screen protector:
Pen-Nothing.
Teeth-Nothing.
Knife-Definitely. I don't think anything is safe from a knife :D
RIOTEOTDO-The screen was safe from skids, although the protector didn't hold up to well.

:lol: It was so much fun to do this. And how nice to rip up a Palm, too :twisted:

There you go, some real life figures. Anyone want to join in and destroy for the sake of common knowledge? 8)

Rod3
02-16-2004, 11:14 PM
If you're saving it for you, when will you get to enjoy it unadorned?
:wink: