View Full Version : Volume Control for e740

bondo
02-14-2004, 01:23 AM
I have an e740 and use it to listen to music via gsplayer. Through headphones, though, the lowest volume I can get down to is too loud and hurts my ears. I can lower the volume on the player, but it does nothing because the machine seems to have some sort of minimum volume built in. Does anyone know of any volume control programs that will affect the volume?

thanks,
bondo

backpackerx
02-19-2004, 07:34 AM
I don't know of a program like that but I'm guessing your headphones don't have much resistance. I don't know a ton about this but I know different headphones have different levels of resistance and I get different sound levels between the several sets of headphones I have.

You are right though, the volume control is inadequate.

Janak Parekh
02-19-2004, 04:31 PM
backpackerx is correct... Your solution might be to get an inline volume control from Radio Shack, or a different pair of headphones which have higher resistance.

alizhan
02-25-2004, 03:46 AM
I had this very same problem, and tried many sets of earphones seeking a solution. The best I found were a set of Koss behind-the-head earphones with inline volume control; they work well, though the cord is a bit long. Most of the Sony's are way too loud (and tinny, but that's another rant).

Another option (the one I used on my e740), is to get a media player with a built-in preamp. Chucking the preamp all the way down brought the main volume control into a reasonable range. I had good success using withMP3. The OSS crowd was supposed to be working on a player with pre-amp, too, but it was pretty rough last time I looked.