View Full Version : Music Industry Wants Info on Canadian File Swappers

Jason Dunn
02-14-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1076683398081_54/?hub=SciTech#' target='_blank'>http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...4/?hub=SciTech#</a><br /><br /></div>"The Canadian Recording Industry Association has kicked off what promises to be a lengthy battle against online music sharing, and the first hurdle may be the most difficult to clear. The CRIA has asked a number of Internet service providers to hand over contact information for customers it suspects of "egregious" uploading of music files. But at least one of those companies, Calgary-based Shaw Communications, says it intends to oppose the CRIA, citing new federal privacy laws that protect its customers.<br /><br />"We're absolutely compelled under the privacy act not to provide that information," Shaw Communications president Peter Bissonnette told The Globe and Mail. Arguments in the case begin Monday at a federal court in Toronto."<br /><br />Gosh, that sure didn't take long for Canada to follow the US lead. :roll:

karen
02-14-2004, 02:16 AM
Yeah, I know...

Why can't Canada follow the US on anti fax and e-mail spam laws? Why don't we have a DNC registry? Why is it we only get the bad legislation up here?...oh, wait...follow the money...

K

Mike Temporale
02-14-2004, 02:22 AM
Isn't this why we pay a levy on every peice of blank media we buy?!? Shouldn't they just leave us alone. :twisted:

Paundskumm
02-14-2004, 02:31 AM
Yeah, well my heart goes out to you guys. I was born and raised in Calgary (same a Jason) but bugged out 15 years ago to the land of low taxes and all the best advanced hardware...

With the Loonie at record highs even REAL DVD's (let alone pirated ones) are cheaper here now...

Enjoy being spied on by big brother...

Mitch D
02-14-2004, 02:41 AM
Isn't this why we pay a levy on every peice of blank media we buy?!? Shouldn't they just leave us alone. :twisted:

I think this one is going to be hard for them to go after in court due to on the record (excuse the pun) comments made by the president of the CRIA back when the levy first came out.

dmacburry2003
02-14-2004, 03:02 AM
The CRIA has asked a number of Internet service providers to hand over contact information for customers it suspects of "egregious" uploading of music files.

Oh, I'm so glad to be living in the US. :mrgreen:
Now its not like I'm all into Kazaa and everything :wink:

Thinkingmandavid
02-14-2004, 03:28 AM
I guess it was just a matter of time until this was to come about, but I am wondering what Mitch D is referring to in in this comment I think this one is going to be hard for them to go after in court due to on the record (excuse the pun) comments made by the president of the CRIA back when the levy first came out.

I personally think they should calm down about this and realize that there are always going to be file sharers.

Ed Hansberry
02-14-2004, 03:37 AM
NAFTA at its best… spreading idiocy across the borders. :roll:

Mitch D
02-14-2004, 04:29 AM

Too True.... Too dang true!

Jason Dunn
02-14-2004, 04:36 AM

Well, if you've got extra to share... :lol:

DaleReeck
02-14-2004, 06:13 AM
The Third Reich aka, the Music Industry, can request records of people it "suspects"? Just great...now, proof isn't even needed, just suspicion :evil:

szamot
02-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Bring it on suckers! Welcome SSL!

Mitch D
02-14-2004, 02:41 PM
I guess it was just a matter of time until this was to come about, but I am wondering what Mitch D is referring to in in this comment I think this one is going to be hard for them to go after in court due to on the record (excuse the pun) comments made by the president of the CRIA back when the levy first came out.

I personally think they should calm down about this and realize that there are always going to be file sharers.

The then President of the CRIA stated back in I believe it was 2000 when the levy first came out that "it is a small price to pay for the right to copy music" (this is the jist of what he said, it's been a while). Now I know there is no logic to these type of people but how does one justify going after people for file swapping when you make a comment like that?

Just that's just my 2 cents worth... CRIA + RIAA = alot of stupid people!

Mitch D
02-14-2004, 02:42 PM
The Third Reich aka, the Music Industry, can request records of people it "suspects"? Just great...now, proof isn't even needed, just suspicion :evil:

Not in Canada, there are no laws that allow the CRIA to do what the RIAA is doing. Plus the new privacy laws up here forbid the release of customer data by any company including our own goverment.

karen
02-14-2004, 10:01 PM
The then President of the CRIA stated back in I believe it was 2000 when the levy first came out that "it is a small price to pay for the right to copy music" (this is the jist of what he said, it's been a while). Now I know there is no logic to these type of people but how does one justify going after people for file swapping when you make a comment like that?

Just that's just my 2 cents worth... CRIA + RIAA = alot of stupid people!

Wait...I participated in a position paper on the levy last year...and the CRIA position (and that quote) is that personal, legal copying is what the levy is compensating for...not illegal copying. That's what made it so outrageously offensive.

The levy has nothing to do with file "sharing", it was soley to compensate the record companies for all the lost revenue you all cause :roll: because you normally would have bought one CD for your PPC and another one for your home stereo, and yet another for your car. :roll: Since technology allows you to do all the legal stuff, the music industry was about to fold in Canada; therefore the collective (!) was FORCED make a private levy to keep the music indutry alive in Canada. :roll:

Really, it was so laughable hearing people puke out this kinda crap...and that's what our position paper said..

Karen