View Full Version : Wisbar vs. Wisbar Advance

bgate
02-13-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm looking to tweak the appearance of my 4150 and am wondering what the difference is between these? Also looking to add Dashboard as well. I did a quick look at both web sites and searched the forums here, but couldn't find a comparison.

Thanks in advance!

pivaska
02-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Thought I would keep this all on one thread... I don't have the comparison but I would like to know if WisBar Advance can do VGA. I tried it on my E800 with deek's res fix and it didn't go all across the screen. Does anyone know if there is a wisbar advanced "VGA" version?

jkendrick
02-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Thought I would keep this all on one thread... I don't have the comparison but I would like to know if WisBar Advance can do VGA. I tried it on my E800 with deek's res fix and it didn't go all across the screen. Does anyone know if there is a wisbar advanced "VGA" version?

Wisbar Advance works perfectly in VGA. But, if you run standard QVGA skins on it it won't go all the way across the screen. There are a number of VGA skins for WA (and many other programs) on PocketPC Tools.

Paula
02-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Wisbar Theme question:
I have several Themes that I love and do not want to get rid of,
do regular themes work with Wisbar advanced or do you have to redo themes to Wisbar specs?

Paula

Lex
02-15-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm posting too so I'll get an email when the answer arrives. Thanks.

juni
02-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Wisbar Theme question:
do regular themes work with Wisbar advanced or do you have to redo themes to Wisbar specs?

They are different. WA uses a "skin file" where the whole theme is defined. This makes it a lot easier to change skins, all you have to do is select a theme and everything changes. WA also has more buttons and features than the old Wisbar. I recommend switching, unless you really like your old themes.

I suppose you could use your old themes, but then you would have to set up everything manually in the WA settings.

Jeff Rutledge
02-15-2004, 04:13 PM
I'm posting too so I'll get an email when the answer arrives. Thanks.

Actually you don't need to post. Just click "Watch this topic for replies" at the bottom of the thread to receive an email when it's updated.

Just FYI...

Paula
02-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Juni,
Thank you for your reply.

Paula

emmfan
02-16-2004, 05:54 PM
I upgraded to Wisbar Advance, but I have been using a Star Trek theme (combination Wisbar and Dashboard) that I like a lot and has never been updated (don't even remember who the author was, have to do some research). So like Juni said, I just set it up manually to work with Wisbar Advance. Works well enough, just had to modify a couple of icons. I'm not talented enough to update the complete skin myself :oops:

Perk
02-16-2004, 08:59 PM
I used wisbar for quite a few versions and prefer it over other programs who's names escape me at the moment. However, Wisbar Advance is better. I understand that Wisbar Advance represents a new owner of this program and they have improved upon the old versions increadibly. Many of the posts I see above talk about skinning it. I prefer it plain with clock/date combo in small print with running tak icons. This little freeware program is an essential for me.

To me, there is no reason to get the old version anymore. The lates version of Advance does everything better except for employing the color of the theme you're using.

I'm looking to tweak the appearance of my 4150 and am wondering what the difference is between these? Also looking to add Dashboard as well. I did a quick look at both web sites and searched the forums here, but couldn't find a comparison.

Thanks in advance!

bgate
02-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, I am using and really enjoy WA. Of course it helps to have a great skin by Juni!

gsim
02-17-2004, 08:28 PM
I have been using older versions previously. Now using latest version but am not able to get clock to display despite checking it. How do you set the clock?

I get confused in the Item menu why there are 2 sets menu bars to configure. Can anyone clarify?

Also, volume control in older version was in small incremets. Current version is only in 5 steps. Any way to change this?

Lex
02-18-2004, 12:19 PM
gsim, what brand and model PPC and what OS are you using?

Custom skins seem to override some feature options.

Here's how I get to clock setting: (on an iPAQ 3845

Get to WA 'Settings'.
Tap 'Items' tab at bottom.
Drop down top menu and scroll down to last choice, 'Clock'.
Tap 'Settings' button that appears.
For Time format I entered: 'h:mm'
For Date format I entered: 'M/dd' (no quote marks)
Tap 'OK'.
Tap 'Apply' at bottom.
Your choice should then appear.

pdclarkipaq
02-18-2004, 02:18 PM
I have used WA for a long time and love it. I figured out the option menu after some working with it and it makes sense now. I still can't get the date to change color though. Any suggestions.

gsim
02-19-2004, 04:17 PM
I am using IPAQ 1940 with PPC2003. I have tried all the steps you mentioned and selected "Apply" button at the end but the time does not appear.

Lex
02-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Sorry I can't help w/ OS '03. There's a Wisbar Advance Forum at the developer's site: www.lakeridgesoftware.com

Hope that's useful.

Kevin C. Tofel
04-26-2004, 04:50 PM

Wisbar Advance works perfectly in VGA. But, if you run standard QVGA skins on it it won't go all the way across the screen. There are a number of VGA skins for WA (and many other programs) on PocketPC Tools.

I'm running a VGA theme with no problem. However, if I run WA on my Tosh e805 with MyVGA, when I click the Start icon, the menu cascades down and instantly disappears. I can't choose from my Start menu....is anyone else seeing this behavior in VGA? I'm also using the UnDead hack....might have something to do with it....

Thanks!
KCT

zilla31
05-02-2004, 10:46 PM
just out of curiosity (and spare me becuase i'm brand new to PPC from palm) but how exactly do dashboard and WA work together? from what i can tell they *seem* to do the same thing... but lots of people are using them together?

thanks!!

Ripper014
05-03-2004, 12:31 AM
The clock issue is caused by your theme. In your settings you will need to adjust the "Theme Settings" to "Use Custom Theme Elements" at this point you should be able to make the changes your looking for with the clock. If you are in "Use a Theme File" mode it will lock in the settings for the given theme.

Don't Panic!
05-03-2004, 07:23 PM
The clock issue is caused by your theme. In your settings you will need to adjust the "Theme Settings" to "Use Custom Theme Elements" at this point you should be able to make the changes your looking for with the clock. If you are in "Use a Theme File" mode it will lock in the settings for the given theme.And that is the answer everyone has been looking for! 0X

Don't Panic!
Bobby

melb_angel19
05-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Wisbar Theme question:

Paula

Wisbar advance gives you the option to use your current pocket PC theme. It defaults to their new blue theme when you install it but then you can go to themes in the wisbar settings and select "Emulate PPC Theme" and it will put whatever them you selected in the settings of your Today Screen.

Stephen Beesley
05-10-2004, 09:48 AM
just out of curiosity (and spare me becuase i'm brand new to PPC from palm) but how exactly do dashboard and WA work together? from what i can tell they *seem* to do the same thing... but lots of people are using them together?

thanks!!

Not so :D But they do complement each other very well. Dashboard skins and adds to the functionality of the Today screen - effectively allowing multiple today screens each of which can be configured to do a range of different things. Wisbar and Wisbar Advance skin and add to the functionality of the task bar. Many people have, however, written skins for Dashboard and Wisbar that work together to provide an integrated look to the display. For good examples of this you can check out Juni's excellent themes HERE (http://www.kolumbus.fi/anders.ruohio/skinz.html)

Zidane
05-11-2004, 10:11 PM
It looks like WisBar Advance will give you more incentive to upgrade. Check out the screenshots in their forums: http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=323. It looks almost like the author is trying to revive the functionality that PocketBlinds had, plus some others that he hasn't mentioned yet.

I wonder if it's still going to be free?