View Full Version : I need to reflash my 3135's rom

powder2000
02-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Hi all, I have a 3135 that I have played around with linux on. Got it to work but couldn't add any extra programs????? Anyways, I want to get it back to pocket pc 2000 which it came with. Is there anyone out there who could extract their rom image and email it to me at casenov@yahoo(take this out).com?

I would greatly appreciate this help. Thanks.

dmacburry2003
02-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Is that legal? 8O

Steven Cedrone
02-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Actually, no it isn't. Powder, you should have made a backup of your own ROM before you loaded Linux. Call HP, maybe they will sell you one? (the 2000->2002 upgrade? It's 16 MB Installed memory and 4-bit (16 gray levels) so it may not even take a ROM upgrade!)

Steve

powder2000
02-13-2004, 07:55 PM
For some reason, I thought it was legal if I was looking for the original os that was on my unit, ppc2000. Sorry, disregard or delete this post. I will contact hp.

dmacburry2003
02-13-2004, 07:59 PM
For some reason, I thought it was legal if I was looking for the original os that was on my unit, ppc2000. Sorry, disregard or delete this post. I will contact hp.

Hey wait, don't delete this.

I would actually like to know how to flash a ROM in the first place. Do you need special utilities? I could buy a cheapo PPC on Ebay and format it. I think it would be cool to get Linux on a PPC. After all, a lot of people have posted saying they have it/or would like it. Could I do it with a Nino? Or with a MobilePro?

powder2000
02-13-2004, 08:08 PM
there is a package you can download at the familiar linux project website. Just do a google search for 'familiar linux ipaq'. They have a bootloader and flash backup utility as well as the latest release. If you have a 36-3700 I think you will have best results. In the past you could only load the image from a serial connection to your computer but now you can flash from the cf slot. The problem with the 3100 is that it only has 16 mb rom, enough for the basic image. I forgot to mention that I did back up my ipaq but the ppc 2000 os is flaky now. When I perform a soft reset my ipaq hard resets. That seems to be the only problem. Anyways, I emailed hp to see if I could get an image.

dmacburry2003
02-13-2004, 08:37 PM
I have done a bit of non-linux moderating on the Nino and MobilePro 880 recently and it caused problems. For example, the battery no longer charges in the MP since I removed the rom (with no regard to the warnings :wink: ) and if I leave it on AC too long, it resets and messes up so I have to hard reset it. (I left it plugged in for three hours and it reset, then the screen was like de-pixeleled)
As for the Nino, the backup battery exploded inside the unit :D I couldn't believe it still worked.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll check that out, and who knows, maybe I'll flash my 1935 if I like it. (which will certainly take weeks of consideration :wink: )

Qman
02-13-2004, 09:28 PM

Hey wait, don't delete this.

I would actually like to know how to flash a ROM in the first place. Do you need special utilities? I could buy a cheapo PPC on Ebay and format it. I think it would be cool to get Linux on a PPC. After all, a lot of people have posted saying they have it/or would like it. Could I do it with a Nino? Or with a MobilePro?

I installed Linux on one of my Pocket PC's over the weekend (iPAQ 3635) and have been having fun setting it up every since! There are two GUI's GPE and Opie I've installed and played around with both.

The cool thing I like about Linux is that if you have a wireless connection you can install programs and upgrade the OS over the connection, now how cool is that!

Visit: http://opie.handhelds.org/usermanual/installation.html