View Full Version : Big Hello from Jonathon

Jonathon Watkins
02-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Hello everyone. Let me introduce myself. My name is Jonathon Watkins and I’ve shed my fur as PDA Gerbil :D . I’m from the UK and have worked with PDAs since the early Psion days. <br /><br />I was flattered when Jason asked me to roll up my sleeves and give a hand with the admin behind the scenes of this great site. It sounded like fun and a good thing to do, so I’ve taken him up on his offer. <br /><br />I feel exited about being part of the team and look forward to contributing to making the Pocket PC Thoughts’ community *the* place to go for news, views, support and to generally chill out. I love this place 8)

WillyG
02-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Welcome "old" Gerbil! :)

mrkablooey
02-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Congrats!

krisbrown
02-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Psion eh?
So you're a Nokia man then.

Jonathon Watkins
02-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys - it's good to get going. :D

So you're a Nokia man then.

Not unless you count a 8310 as a PDA. :lol:

My Psion days are behind me now - 3a, Sienna, Revo etc. PocketPC is my game now - much more fun & functional. 8)

seeker
02-13-2004, 12:36 PM
You will doubtless help with the level of understanding and enjoyment for the many who frequent this site.

May your time here be filled with fun and with a focus on what can help the rest.

Seeker
:)

shawnc
02-13-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm gonna miss PDA Gerb, but welcome aboard Jonathon.

Mike Temporale
02-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Congrats Jonathon! 8)

wocket
02-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Congrats!

It's great to see someone from the UK being made a part of the Thoughts team. :D

mountainguy
02-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey Man, welcome. Glad you are here. Glad that Jason has some good guys on deck to lend a hand. I'm glad that this is a truly international site as I think that gives it a much better flavor. Looking forward to continued interaction with you.

Peace,

Kenn

Jon Westfall
02-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Congratulations Jonathon (nice name...) on your 'upgrade': PDA Gerbil 2.0

- Jon.

zzzmarcus
02-13-2004, 02:51 PM
You have to admit you miss the keyboard on the Revo though... I switched when they stopped making them, but to this day I miss that keyboard.

PR.
02-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Agreed, I still have a little shrine to my old (but still working) Psion Series 5mx :(

Does this mean we will get news during the UK morning when the US is still tucked up in bed? :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
02-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Does this mean we will get news during the UK morning when the US is still tucked up in bed? :wink:

It could well do - it could well do. What an intriguing idea. :wink: 8)

Bear with me for the time being - I am still learning the ropes & getting up to speed. There is a LOT to learn about running things smoothly behind the scene here. But I'll get there in the end. :mrgreen:

I really appreciate all your support guys! :way to go:

Jonathon Watkins
02-13-2004, 03:26 PM
You have to admit you miss the keyboard on the Revo though... I switched when they stopped making them, but to this day I miss that keyboard.

Yes - I did too, Yes. :D

I still have a little shrine to my old (but still working) Psion Series 5mx

Agreed - the sooner we get a real keyboard - the better. Come back HPC - all is (almost) forgiven. :?

Still, Psion is history - PPC is the way forward - at least - that's why *I'm* here. :mrgreen: How about you?

David Prahl
02-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Congrats, Jonathon! Always great to have another voice and view on the site.

Mark (NL)
02-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Congrats Jonathon,

Hope you'll keep on having as much fun as you obviously had over the past time :wink:

I miss the Series 5 (MX) keyboard more than the Revo one... I don't miss it's size and weight though &lt;lol>
Something I miss even more are the ALARMS, I used to use the Psions as travel alarmclocks, I just can't depend on the PocketPC like that.
At least we know that it is possible to make a device that sounds every alarm, has unlimited alarms, choose EVERY sound you want as an alarm.
Ow and all that out of the box, no 3rd party apps involved, and 10 yrs ago that was possible... But there is a solution... stay up till after mid-night and your alarms will sound in the morning... Just not very likely you want to do that if you have to get up at 4am &lt;lol>

Jeff Rutledge
02-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Congrats Jonathon! It's great to hear that you're on board. I'm looking forward to your contributions.

ux4484
02-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Way to go Jonathon!

...ah...the name behind the rodent :way to go:

PR.
02-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Still, Psion is history - PPC is the way forward - at least - that's why *I'm* here. :mrgreen: How about you?

Ah but are they?!

Now they have sold there stake in Symbian they have some money to invest again, while it may not run EPOC anymore they are looking at Windows CE and Linux

More info here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/35504.html :)

Jonathon Watkins
02-13-2004, 05:29 PM
...the name behind the rodent

Yes - I really should get round to posting in the "Why did you choose your avatar" thread shouldn't I. :lol:

Pat Logsdon
02-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Congratulations, Jonathon! I thought something like this may have been in the works when your name mysteriously changed sometime last week... :mrgreen:

Doug Rausch
02-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Congrats Jonathon - nice to have you on the team.

Mitch D
02-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Now you'll be expecting to be names honorary "poobaa" when we finally get the Calgary Users Group up and running :wink:

Congrats Jonathon

Zensbikeshop
02-13-2004, 09:57 PM

Ah but are they?!

Now they have sold there stake in Symbian they have some money to invest again, while it may not run EPOC anymore they are looking at Windows CE and Linux

More info here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/35504.html :)

I was gonna post the same...

As an ex-Psion employee I follow what goes on with interest and sometimes dismay.

I do know however that DP regrets getting out of the PDA business.

I'd love to see a Psion PDA running Linux. Imagine great Psion hardware (gotta love Therefore's work) updated with modern technology (colour screens, li-poly batteries, Bluetooth) running Linux... mmmmmmm tasty!

Jonathon Watkins
02-13-2004, 11:17 PM
...you'll be expecting to be names honorary "poobaa" when we finally get the Calgary Users Group up and running

Darn right - and *don't* forget it! :wink: :lol:

ctmagnus
02-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Lessee... Two username changes in the last litle while... I was wondering about that. ;)

Welcome aboard!

Jonathon Watkins
02-13-2004, 11:43 PM
I *knew* it was a bad idea to mention Psion on my introductory post. :

Zensbikeshop - I know where you are coming from. I loved my Psions - I would have LOVED a colour bluetooth Revo Plus. BUT - it didn't happen. :?

You know what? How about Psion producing PocketPCs rather than Linux? Rather than plough their own solitary furrow, they could join in with a OS with some serious support & market share. If Psion's design flair teamed up with the promises we've had for PPC 2004 - THEN you would really have something. It's a thought anyway. :mrgreen:

Back on topic :rotfl: (Being this side of the fence brings a whole new light on staying on topic BTW)

Lessee... Two username changes in the last litle while... I was wondering about that. ;)

Indeed - a bit of a givaway - but there you go.

Cheers guys. 8)

yawanag
02-14-2004, 02:18 AM
Welcome, Jonathan. You've come to the right place.

PR.
02-14-2004, 02:40 AM
Ok, I know I said that I wouldn't post about Psion again... But... :)

I'm still undecided about the idea of them using PPC...

Since I have started using PPCs over the last 2-3years I reckon I have reset my ipaq 300-600hundred times. I had my iPAQ 5450 running without a reset for 4days and it had leaked 20mb of RAM!

Do you know how many times I had to reset my Psions over a 4-5year period? Never, only once did my Psion (soft) reset on its own and that was a static discharge and it lost no data at all 8) If an App locked up you switched to the Task Manager and killed the application the memory came back and your other documents were unaffected!

I see Windows Mobile 2003 as the Windows ME of the PDA it has the looks of a good OS but deep down its still based on that old unreliable code of 9x.

Psions SIBO and EPOC OS's were the Windows NT4 of PDA with stability but limited on what it could do.

I'm still waiting for the Windows 2000/XP of the PDA world. :D

But whatever Psion get up to please make the sync software better than EPOC Connect/PsiWin, and you lot think ActiveSync is bad :)

Jonathon Watkins
02-15-2004, 04:12 PM
OK - time to hijack the thread again - It's my thread and I'll take a detour if I want to . :mrgreen:

Do you know how many times I had to reset my Psions over a 4-5year period? Never, only once did my Psion (soft) reset on its own and that was a static discharge and it lost no data at all 8)

Then you've been doing better than me. I had to soft reset my Psion Revo Plus about once a month and I had to do a hard reset at one due to the battery de-charge issue. :|

I see Windows Mobile 2003 as the Windows ME of the PDA it has the looks of a good OS but deep down its still based on that old unreliable code of 9x. Psions SIBO and EPOC OS's were the Windows NT4 of PDA with stability but limited on what it could do.

I'm still waiting for the Windows 2000/XP of the PDA world. :D :)

Well, I tend to see PPC2003 as NT4. There is a huge amount of change under the surface, but the GUI looks lust like the previous version (Win95/PPC 2002). I believe that our XP, or at least 2000 will come in PPC 2004 which will build on all the changes under the surface of 2003. These features aren't really being used yet, but are there to be fully used in the future.

But whatever Psion get up to please make the sync software better than EPOC Connect/PsiWin, and you lot think ActiveSync is bad :)

Yes, oh Yes! PsiWin was *dreadful*. :evil: Bad memories there. :twisted:

Jonathon Watkins
02-15-2004, 05:02 PM
8O I have just accidentally managed to hit the "Delete All" button on my private messages, instead of the 'Delete Marked" button. Doh! :cry:

So sorry if I don't reply to your PM - I don't have it any more. :(

I agree with ED that PMs are a pain. :? It would be great if people could email me at "Jonathon at PocketPCThoughts dot com". Finding info is a lot easier in email form! 8)

Mike Temporale
02-15-2004, 05:35 PM
I would change you're email address so it can't be picked up by the spam engines. ;) Use the ever popular Jonathon @ PocketPCThoughts dot com format or something similair.

ctmagnus
02-15-2004, 11:22 PM
^ ANOTHER name change! 8O So many editors/contributors!

Jonathon Watkins
02-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Yup, they're breeding like flies! :wink: Jason needs a lot of troops for his world conquest! :lol:

Cheers for the heads up guys. My inbox is filling up with spam already - before I even started. :?

Janak has enabled Spam Assassin for me - so that should help. :twisted:

Steven Cedrone
02-16-2004, 05:17 AM
I would change you're email address so it can't be picked up by the spam engines. ;) Use the ever popular Jonathon @ PocketPCThoughts dot com format or something similair.

I already emailed him about it, but I decided to change it anyway! :wink:

Steve

Jonathon Watkins
02-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Hey - you have the power - why not use it? :mrgreen:

Mike Temporale
02-16-2004, 11:57 PM
^ ANOTHER name change! 8O So many editors/contributors!

I get the impression you're talking about me. :wink: As Jonathon said, it's all part of Jason's plan for total world domination. :mrgreen:

Jonathon Watkins
02-17-2004, 12:22 AM
I get the impression you're talking about me. :wink:

That's what we use quotes for then - to clarify things. :mrgreen:

You talkin to me, You TALKIN TO ME????? :agrue:

:lol: