View Full Version : Knocking the stuffing out of my case and other case-mod stories.

Skoobouy
02-12-2004, 10:26 PM
There are lots of cases for any PDA out there, and not just the expensive form-fitting "wedding gifts" made by Vaja and Sena. I posted pictures of my Palm m100 series case I bought for my iPaq 1935 a little while ago. It's a great case and a solid wallet replacement, but something is wrong: it's thick!

No problem there. Turns out Palm crammed the faux leather full of styrofoam for pete's sake. What, like three layers of firm plastic-board and a stack of credit cards (:oops:) aren't enough protection?

Anyway, I decided to perform a little liposuction on my Palm wallet case. I simply cut the inside skin of the "spine", dug in there, and ripped out all of the foam. I'll sew it back together soon; for now, tape will do. But the case is MUCH improved.

http://www.jeffreyz.com/images/case_stuffing.jpg

Has anyone else here modded their case, or made an interesting home-made case?

Jason Dunn
02-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Very clever! :way to go:

dmacburry2003
02-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Wow that looks like mine 8O Except I don't go disecting it and being a mad pocketrist.

I have the 1935 on the side and that exact same wi-fi card in the pocket like you got it. I had to shove an SD to PC card adapter in the pocket so that the Wi-Fi SD card doesn't fall out :D

Edit: Total things in my case, 8 MB SD, 64 MB SD (usually in ipaq), SD Wi-Fi card, SD to PC card, 64 MB CF, a few ID's, a fake spy card, 24 screen protectors, cleaning cloth, three styluses, the iPaq itself, and a *few* dollars. This is all in a zippered case about the size of yours. And I carry it around in my pocket :wink:

Jimmy Dodd
02-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Hmmm. How hard is it to sew leather back together after performing surgery on it? I have a Belkin (I know, but it was an impulse buy) case for my h2215 that I would like to add a slot so I could use my CF WiFi card while the iPAQ is still in the case. The slot would be easy enough to cut out, but how do you sew leather? What kind of thread do you use? Can it be done by hand? Do you need special tools?

I've hemmed pants before but they weren't leather!

Kati Compton
02-13-2004, 01:54 AM
I imagine they sell special needles for leatherwork. I'd suggest using thimbles, both on the side that the needle is poking out of, and on the figure you use to push the needle.

dmy
02-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Run down to your local shoe-repair shop...... Most do luggage, purses etc and will inexpensively throw in the the stiches for you. I had one mod a camera case for me, cost me under 10 bucks to go from a belt loop to a locking belt clip/post arrangement and it's killer.

D.

Stephen Beesley
02-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Hmmm. How hard is it to sew leather back together after performing surgery on it? I have a Belkin (I know, but it was an impulse buy) case for my h2215 that I would like to add a slot so I could use my CF WiFi card while the iPAQ is still in the case. The slot would be easy enough to cut out, but how do you sew leather? What kind of thread do you use? Can it be done by hand? Do you need special tools?

I've hemmed pants before but they weren't leather!

I did exactly this with the Krussel case I bought for my Jornada 568. As you said cutting out the slot was pretty easy just a sharp blade and a minutes work. I have been planning to get it stiched at a shoe repair place (as suggested by CloudDancer) but haven't gotten around to it yet. In fact I have been taking a bit of a break from using the case of late and been back to the bare Jornada with flip screen. No problems with the case just wanted a change :D but who knows maybe it is time I got the case out again.