View Full Version : Upgrading to OFFICE 2003???

prototype
02-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Are there any known problems with Sync'ing after upgrading an installation of Office XP to Office 2003??

Read to take the plunge ... just don't want to find out after there is some huge issue.

THanks
-Drew

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Are there any known problems with Sync'ing after upgrading an installation of Office XP to Office 2003??

Read to take the plunge ... just don't want to find out after there is some huge issue.

THanks
-Drew

I didn't have any problems!

Steve

JohnnyFlash
02-12-2004, 04:58 PM
I didn't have any problems whatsoever, either.

bleeman
02-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Been working like a champ for me since the first Beta release. Other than the usual ActiveSync issues from time to time, but those have nothing to do with Office.

jeremyweisser
02-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Yup, no prblems here either. Office 2K3 is as close to perfect as Microsoft has gotten.

prototype
02-12-2004, 07:45 PM
not quite.

I ran the upgrade ... it all seemed to go fine ...

but it didn't create ANY icons for the 2003 product ... and all the Office XP icons are gone ..

UGH.

-Drew

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 09:16 PM
not quite.

I ran the upgrade ... it all seemed to go fine ...

but it didn't create ANY icons for the 2003 product ... and all the Office XP icons are gone ..

UGH.

-Drew

It no loger puts them in the "root" of the Start>All Programs, it puts them in a folder in there. Look for "Microsoft Office"

Steve

DimensionZero
02-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Yah, took them long enuff to do that! I always moved them to a folder after a new install.

If the icons aren't there at all, run the install and do a repair. That should fix it.

My only beef, is that Outlook's little icon on the sys tray (which I love, I used a reg hack to put it there with Office XP), stays there when I close Outlook with the PPC still connected via Active sync.

Outlook's always running in the background when you sync your ppc which is fine, but it'd be nice if the icon went away. =)

Oh well. no biggie. Outlook's open practically all day for me anyways.

Steven Cedrone
02-13-2004, 01:48 AM
My only beef, is that Outlook's little icon on the sys tray (which I love, I used a reg hack to put it there with Office XP), stays there when I close Outlook with the PPC still connected via Active sync.

Outlook's always running in the background when you sync your ppc which is fine, but it'd be nice if the icon went away. =)

Funny, I actually have a problem with that icon. When I close Outlook, sometimes the icon remains (even if ActiveSync is not active). If I click on it I receive an error, I have to go into Task Manager and kill Outlook for it to dissappear. :evil:

Steve

Pingu
02-16-2004, 03:54 AM

Funny, I actually have a problem with that icon. When I close Outlook, sometimes the icon remains (even if ActiveSync is not active). If I click on it I receive an error, I have to go into Task Manager and kill Outlook for it to dissappear. :evil:

Steve

I have the same problem too, seems to occur when Outlook has been running for a long period of time.

But I upgraded to 2003 from XP, absolutely no problems here with activesync.

bdeli
02-16-2004, 05:33 PM

Steve

Same error here as well....Outlook not respoding error. The way round it is to open outlook again and then exit normally - System tray icon should be gone. I only get this error with ipaq still connected to PC.

buckyg
03-16-2004, 03:44 AM
They just made me take the plunge at work. It seems okay so far, a few cosmetic changes MS made that drive me a little crazy. Still playing around a bit with the various settings, so maybe those peeves can be overcome. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'll buy it for my own use or not. I'm only considering it because we can get 1 copy for a very discounted price for personal use as part of our licensing agreement, wouldn't pay full price for it yet.

I do have to admit, I was nervous as I plugged my iPAQ into the cradle the first time after the upgrade. It synced perfectly, haven't had any major problems yet.

Janak Parekh
03-16-2004, 06:04 AM

Steve

Same error here as well....Outlook not respoding error. The way round it is to open outlook again and then exit normally - System tray icon should be gone. I only get this error with ipaq still connected to PC.
Ha! I just installed O2k3 at work today and I found it funny that within about 60 seconds, I managed to crash Outlook in that exact same way -- except, like Steve, even without ActiveSync running. Sigh. :roll: I'll keep playing with it and see if I can figure out what's causing the problem in my case...

--janak