View Full Version : Why wont some cd-r (rw) s play on XP home office?

wigglesworth
02-12-2004, 06:42 AM
I have a new laptop that is running windowx Xp home edition, and sometimes it will not let me play or even recognize cd-r (rw's) that have either music, photo's or Apps burnt to them, does anyone know why or if there is a solution to this?

I have a couple of cd's with family photos that I can't acces and I wouldn't want to scan them all again!.....can anyone help?

GoldKey
02-12-2004, 01:42 PM
It is probably the drive, not the OS. Did you finalize the disks when you made them?

Janak Parekh
02-12-2004, 07:10 PM
What kind of optical drive is it? I know that some DVD read-only drives occasionally have trouble with CD-RW disks, and sometimes even CD-R disks depending on the medium.

--janak

wigglesworth
02-12-2004, 09:11 PM
My cd's were finalized on my desktop, then I was able to use them on my laptop, but at times the same cd's that I used to install the programs will not work now.

My optical drive is a cd rewriter on my laptop, I currently have a compaq presario X1010ca laptop with 1.4 centrino proceesor, 60 GB HD, and 512 DDR ram.

Again, sometimes my drive will recognize a burnt cd, and other times it won't even pick it up

Thanks for helping

JonnoB
02-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Sounds like you may need a replacement drive.

GoldKey
02-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Are you saying that sometimes you can read a specific disk and sometimes you can't read the same disk? If so, I agree with JonnoB, sounds like a defective drive.

dmacburry2003
02-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Did you at least try cleaning the lens, re-installing the drivers, or checking the CD's (on another computer) for errors?

It sounded like you have re-writable ones so upon re-recording the CD might have become errored.

Just check before you go spending five billion on a new drive.

Hope that helps :D

wigglesworth
02-13-2004, 06:28 AM
Are you saying that sometimes you can read a specific disk and sometimes you can't read the same disk?

Yes that is exactly what is happening, but I haven't tried to clean it either.
I just burnt another cd-r with an app on it and my cd-drive on my laptop was able to read it.

Thank you all for your help, I will try cleaning my lens, and then I shall get a hold of the manufacturer and see what they have to say.