View Full Version : 4350 bluetoothed to T608 network speed compared to Treo 600?

ignar
02-10-2004, 05:18 AM
Ethereal, How is 4350 bluetoothed to T608 network speed compared to Treo 600? Also with T608, is your visoion subject to 3MB limit? I'm currently using Treo 600 and iPaq 4150, and considering replacing Treo with T608. Low res screen and "fat" form factor of Treo really turns me off.

Oh, to be on topic, I also recommend nPop. :)

Ethereal
02-11-2004, 03:47 AM
Ethereal, How is 4350 bluetoothed to T608 network speed compared to Treo 600? Also with T608, is your visoion subject to 3MB limit? I'm currently using Treo 600 and iPaq 4150, and considering replacing Treo with T608. Low res screen and "fat" form factor of Treo really turns me off.

OK, to keep this on topic, the PEC thing from Xenio (as headlined today on PPCT's) sounds cool.

Ignar, my short answer to your question is: I want you to stop reading this, go hug your Treo, and promise it you'll never look at another wireless PDA solution again. I'll wait.

[tearful reconciliation] :mecry:

OK, now that you're back, I'll tell you that I switched devices over a very specific and largely non-negotiable issue: wi-fi. I bought the Treo 600 just before the "underpowered SDIO slot" bombshell burst, and had intended to simply add wi-fi once Sandisk delivered on the promised Palm 5 driver. Aside from the more universal issues of bandwidth and availability deep inside buildings where cell signals don't reach but wi-fi has been set up, I will soon be working at a hospital where only local connections ("house" wi-fi, but not PCS Vision's gateway) are trusted.

Under the best of conditions, iPaq/T608 bandwidth is probably about as good as the Treo 600, although the latency is longer as the PDA prompts the phone to connect to Vision. Also, not only are there two devices to potentially lock up instead of just one, I'd say both the iPaq and the T608 are less stable than the Treo 600. Add in working SMS in Treo 600's column, and I'd say stay in that pasture--the really greener grass is over there.

Aside from its probable lack of wi-fi expandability, I loved my Treo 600. Everyone bitches about the 160x160 screen, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a PDA--if you need to scrutinize intricate mechanical drawings, sit down at something with a screen bigger than your fist!

The one-handed, no-touching-the-touchscreen navigation; straightforward menu structure; alarms, reminders, and other automated functions that work; and the abundance of neat free (and not free) software have left a legacy that the piece of crap taking up real estate on my hip will never live up to.

Painful experience has convinced me that PPC is another M$ "make it flashy (and complicated), make it half-assed, and hide it all from the user and any third-party developer who might fix our screw ups" masterpiece. The flakiest thing my Treo ever did was fail to authenticate onto PCS Vision until I turned the radio off and back on again. PPC makes me feel like I'm caught in a time warp--back to the days of Win 95 that prompted me to spend the next six years running Linux. Reboot every 30-60 min, "you'll do it our way" configuration, and bizarre spontaneous error messages (can you say, "Error opening the shortcut or locating the target filename"?) have kindled in me a special kind of hatred not seen since the Romans visited Carthage.

When the Zaurus SL-6000W hits the street later this year, my iPaq will be lucky to wind up onto eBay, or if not so lucky, the arm of my clay target thrower...

Steven Cedrone
02-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Posts split from this thread. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213491#213491)

Steve

that_kid
02-11-2004, 05:37 PM
I've been hearing alot of people talk about T608 lockups and I have to say that I've only had this happen once and that was when I was trying to pair my t608 with something and had the keygaurd on. Other than that it's great, I find the speeds of the T608 with my ppc's just as good as my cf2031 card, and the unlimited vision on both is da bomb. I have to say that the treo-600 is a great device but it doesn't fit my needs.

Ethereal
02-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Oh, I almost forgot: the 3 MB limit is largely urban legend. Yes, it was mentioned in one press release. And yes, the code to assign such a limit is in the Sprint system.

But no one I know of has actually been assigned to such a plan. I asked both when I bought the phone, and when I activated it; I was told both times I could and would keep unlimited Vision.

For the most current "word on the street," check out the T608 forum at:

www.sprintpcsinfo.com