View Full Version : should i purchase ewallet or flexwallet?

phritosan
02-10-2004, 09:06 AM
I really dont know much about either. i currently have the trial of ewallet installed, and im not over impressed. ill be purchasing one soon, if im getting ewallet, sooner, because im buying listpro in the next few days.

can anyone share with me why they went one way or the other, and why?

iant54
02-10-2004, 10:12 AM
I've got neither - I'm using Developer One's Code Wallet Pro, which does the same thing. However, it was a fairly easy choice as the PPC software came with my Jornada 568, and I got the Desktop version via a magazine covermount. When I got my iPAQs, I'd lost the ability to have Code Wallet on my PPC (the program was limited to loading onto the Joprnada 568), but then I won a copy of the PPC software in a competition!

I also got Applian's version, Virtual Wallet, when I bought their Super Incredible Bundle, but I dragged my feet over loading my data into it. That's the drawback with all the wallet software - there's no (easy) way of porting your data from one to another if you should happen to want to change.

rhmorrison
02-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Another vote for Developer One's Code Wallet Pro which came with my Jornada 568. I updated to the newest version (for FREE) and it works great!

hamishmacdonald
02-10-2004, 01:58 PM
I've been using eWallet for a couple of years. Recently, though, when moving it to a storage card, I lost my registration details (which, foolishly, I'd stored in eWallet!), and while waiting for the developer to get back to me, I questioned whether I really needed a separate wallet program.

I use TreNotes from Fann Software (http://www.fannsoftware.com/) as an outliner, and it occurred to me that I could just as easily put all my financial and password details in there. It allows for a password on each file, which was enough in a wallet for my purposes (my iPAQ is always attached to me).

It's a visually appealing program, and simple to use, but when you dig, you realise there are tons of features in there, good ones I've not seen anywhere else (export dated list items to To-Do tasks, for instance). The developer keeps working on it, too, refining it and adding new features -- for free.

Just an alternative.

Steven Cedrone
02-10-2004, 02:00 PM
I've used Ewallet ever since I picked up my first Pocket PC. Always liked it, never had a problem with it!

Steve

Jon Westfall
02-10-2004, 02:09 PM
I agree with Steven - I've used Ewallet since coming to PPC platform - works fine for me, I can't think of any features missing from it. I bought it with ListPro in their essentials pack, and think I've gotten the bang for my buck.

christheswiss
02-10-2004, 02:28 PM
One more choice is Flexwallet from www.twopeaks.com
It comes with a PC desktop companion....

Steven Cedrone
02-10-2004, 02:37 PM
One more choice is Flexwallet from www.twopeaks.com
It comes with a PC desktop companion....

Chris,

Flexwallet is one of the poll options! :wink: Go grab yourself a cup of coffee! :D :wink: :lol:

Steve

Steven Cedrone
02-10-2004, 02:38 PM
One option that was missed: CodeWallet Pro! (http://www.developerone.com/codewalletpro/pocketpc.htm)

Steve

Steven Cedrone
02-10-2004, 02:40 PM
BTW, if you have some time, read this thread, (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16729&start=0) tons of information there! Doug did a great job with that "shootout"!

Steve

Godsongz
02-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah, the shootout was excellent! Preferences between ewallet, flexwallet, and code wallet pro (all in the wallet category) are very much like preferences between Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant (representing the PIM category)... all excellent programs that accomplish very much the same tasks. They all have little pluses and minuses, just pick one and learn it and stick with it.

Jimmy Dodd
02-10-2004, 03:06 PM
I've used eWallet for years and have never had any problem with it. I use the desktop version a lot as well. The best way to decide is to install them and use them for the trial periods. You may find one has features that you like that the other is lacking.

Jacob
02-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Jimmy's right - they all have a lot of common functionality, but they all have their own original functionality.

For example, they all have different ways of customizing/creating templates and cards.

When I tried out all three, I found the decision somewhat hard since I liked and disliked something from each over the other two.

I settled on eWallet since overall I did like it just a little more than the others and their support staff actually responded to me(I emailed questions to all three, I only got a reply from Ilium).

Wiggin
02-10-2004, 06:48 PM
One more vote for CodeWallet Pro.
After using this app for 3+ years, it now contains all of my critical/must have info, in one place (actually 2... PC and PPC :lol:).... talk about a "critical application"?!!...yikes!
:way to go:

famousdavis
02-13-2004, 06:17 AM
I use FlexWallet -- it was on sale for a special price of only $5 when I bought it!

eWallet is the more mature offering. FlexWallet is cheap and less mature. Both offer the necessary 128-bit encryption that protects your sensitive data. For what I need FlexWallet for, it's fine -- I like having passwords handy and other personal info (account #s, SSNs, etc.) just a few taps away, yet feeling satisfied that if I had my PPC stolen or I lost it, no one would be able to extract my personal info for devious purposes.

Although FlexWallet (like eWallet) has desktop software that works with the synchronized data, I never use the desktop software.

pier39fan
02-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Folks,

I seem to be missing something. Sure all of the "wallets" are pretty. But why not to create a custom list in ListPro and password-protect it? Is there any other reason to have a "wallet" besides the visual appeal?

Kati Compton
02-13-2004, 04:52 PM
FlexWallet is $5 again! See:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=214383

Jacob
02-13-2004, 04:53 PM
eWallet encrypts the data in the password and the file. It provides higher security than ListPro.

ListPro doesn't store its password in plain text, but it doesn't have as high a security factor.

I guess it depends on your comfort factor - if you're okay with what ListPro provides, then it'll suit you fine.