View Full Version : MSN Messenger Down? February 9th, 2004

JustinGTP
02-10-2004, 05:42 AM
Hello,

MSN Messenger seems to be down, although I know my internet connection works fine because here I am typing this to you. Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks!

-Justin.

Kati Compton
02-10-2004, 05:50 AM
Down for me.

jimski
02-10-2004, 05:51 AM
I too am experiencing a failure to communicate. Worked earlier this evening.

Jeff Rutledge
02-10-2004, 06:02 AM
It's down for me as well, but when I check the service status from MS, it says all systems are stable and running.

Janak Parekh
02-10-2004, 06:02 AM
Indeed, it appears to be down. AIM works fine, though.

Anecdotally, I've found AIM to be, on average, quite a bit more stable than MSNM. :|

--janak

Janak Parekh
02-10-2004, 06:03 AM
It's down for me as well, but when I check the service status from MS, it says all systems are stable and running.
That's what it always says. :evil:

--janak

tanalasta
02-10-2004, 06:21 AM
It was working for me late last night. Perhaps MSN was on one of it's "routine maintainence" phases again.

Is it working now?

Janak Parekh
02-10-2004, 06:35 AM
It was working for me late last night. Perhaps MSN was on one of it's "routine maintainence" phases again.
They usually warn you before they start that.

Is it working now?
Doesn't look like it. I guess it's a hint that I should go to sleep. ;)

--janak

Jon Westfall
02-10-2004, 06:54 AM
[00:51] *** Server Error: Server unavailable. Please try again later.

From Trillian when I try to log into MSN. So down here as well.

dean_shan
02-10-2004, 07:41 AM
It's back up now.

Jon Westfall
02-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Gee, I love it when I wake up and Microsoft has fixed something I knew not was broken.

Happy MSN-Messaging once again.

hoffm11
02-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Same thing happened to me last night. I was playing around with my wireless router and thought I blocked the port for MSN, but it was microsoft that had a problem.

Jon Westfall
02-10-2004, 02:00 PM
I hate when you play around with filtering ports and think you (or do) lock yourself out. I was reconfiguring my home DSL router from the road one time and ended up locking myself out of my email server for 8 hours or so.

Weird for MS to do an update and not send out a warning message though - no one said they heard anything.

Steven Cedrone
02-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, I took a look this A.M. to see if there was anything posted about the service interruption last night: not a peep about it on the website! I think it was a case of mass hallucination! :wink:

Steve

dmacburry2003
02-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Is MSN Messenger down again?

Feb. 14th

Janak Parekh
02-15-2004, 02:12 AM
Seems to be fine right now, although I'm not chatting with anyone.

--janak

dmacburry2003
02-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Hmmm... That's funny. I can sign in and sign out on one PC in the network, but on my laptop, it says that my password is incorrect. Any suggestions?

Oh, would someone be able to PM me my IP address? I think Windows is reporting the wrong one (???) and I just wanted to check. I saw with the demo of phpBB you could see people's IP's. Thanks.

Edit: It seems I can't get into the Windows Update site either.

Janak Parekh
02-15-2004, 04:01 AM
Hmmm... That's funny. I can sign in and sign out on one PC in the network, but on my laptop, it says that my password is incorrect. Any suggestions?
Make sure your MSN Messenger on your laptop is up-to-date?

Oh, would someone be able to PM me my IP address?
I could, but I'd rather not. Just go to a command prompt (for 2k and XP) and type in "ipconfig [Enter]".

Edit: It seems I can't get into the Windows Update site either.
Sounds like your network config on the laptop is problematic...?

--janak

dmacburry2003
02-15-2004, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the info Janak, but I remembered something that could be a key in solving my problem about fifteen minutes ago.

System Restore

How could I forget about that amazing feature? :roll:

Well, the backup was only from yesterday, so its all good. This fixed both of my problems.

Thanks anyway :mrgreen:

And, on the down side, the system restore file only removed one thing, a minor Microsoft update fix. Hmmm... Isn't that strange. They must hate me. I think it was a WMP script file update or something. :?