View Full Version : What to Do with a Pocket PC?

johan_the_olive
02-08-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm interested in learning about pocket pcs and haven't really found what info. i'm looking for. I'm interested in knowing what exactly they are good for, other than wireless internet (if you are forunate enough to live in an area with hot spots, or work in an office with it)? Thanks for any pointers!

baker
02-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Calendar, contacts, tasks, family pictures, Excel, Word, Adobe files, checkbook, secure passwords, lists, etc. It's a PClite.

johan_the_olive
02-08-2004, 09:34 PM
any "game" support or media?

baker
02-08-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm not into the games. My recreation on a ppc is reading books. Many buy'em to listen to music and games. And many have an opinion as to which is the best gaming ppc. Some with compact flash have a camera option too.

Deus
02-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Wtach Movies and TV Shows,
use it as a Universal Remote,
use it to track finances,
use it to get streaming news,
use i to watch my home when I am away with MobileHomeCam(free),
use it to chat on AIM,
use it to get up to date weather,
use it for maps,
use it with GPS for finding your way,
subway maps with Metro,
use it for information about other areas when traveling like exchange rates and conversions with World Mate

etc. etc. etc. :D

Deus
02-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Its beginning to be easier to ask what CAN'T you do with a PPC

johan_the_olive
02-08-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm looking more so for answers that don't require wireless internet (hotspots are far from common, if their are any, where i live)

mountainguy
02-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Hey Johan,

A most excellent question that demand a reasoned answer. One of my favorite things about PPCs are their ability to keep a massive amount of data in a small format and the ability to manipulate that data. A couple of things come to mind for me, but you are going to get as many responses to this questions as their are folks who read it.

Although I live in the States, I do a great deal of traveling, both domestic and international. I cannot tell you how great it is to have all my contact information: names, addresses, telephone numbers, email address, actual physical addresses on how to get somewhere from the airport. I do not always travel with my laptop computer, but I ALWAYS travel with my Ipaq. On several ocassions, a coup d'etat, bombing, crisis or emergency means that I change my plans and instead of spending three weeks in Singapore or Bangkok, I end up in Lahore or Lima. It has been invaluable having all my contact information in one place.

The other thing, in addition, to all that has already been said is having a program like eWallet with all my passwords, codes and sites in one easy application. Two clicks, a password and I know exactly with the password is to that esoteric financial site that discusses the growing markets in Bhutan for Fritos or something similar. It really does have keep me organized.

There are a thousand and one other uses, but thought I would just mention these two. Usage is only limited to our imagination. Explore, and enjoy!! :mrgreen:

Kenn

Mitchybums
02-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Basicaly drag movies with you on the go
If you have a digital camera, you can stick the card from the camera in the ppc and work with the pics, email them, etc etc
Games, reading books, play music
etc etc.

Lex
02-09-2004, 03:35 AM
I'm in sales and I've replaced the laptop in the car with the Pocket PC.

Still need the PC in the office but it's a laptop and it just sits on a desk like a desktop.

PPC is my mobile deviCE. :D

dclax07
02-09-2004, 05:14 AM
its a mini multimedia "hub"

Even without wireless, use it as an electronic wallet. keep track of all your

info, play mp3's, watch videos, keep pictures, etc.

check email with activesync without wifi

Ethereal
02-10-2004, 03:57 AM
Its beginning to be easier to ask what CAN'T you do with a PPC

OK:

1.) I can't get a device with a built-in KB that doesn't pop up a friggin' on-screen keyboard in half my screen real estate every time I enter text;

2.) I can't get a "sticky" Alt key, so entering twenty digits requires 40 keypresses;

3.) I can't get an email client that can be potty trained to grow up and handle messages on its own;

4.) I can't get applications to close on exit;

5.) I can't get through even basic operations with one-handed navigation, despite having a directional pad, a full keyboard, and several "shortcut" keys.

phritosan
02-10-2004, 08:46 AM
as per #4, search google for 'magic button'

free and i love it

Jon Westfall
02-10-2004, 12:21 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but I use mine as a phone. The wonderful combination of having all my contacts, Calendar, files, and more on the device just makes it hard to live without.

A friend of mine just got my old T-Mobile Pocket PC and told me, quote, "I don't know how I lived without it".