View Full Version : Am I too old to buy a Playstation 2?

sublime
02-08-2004, 05:04 PM
I rented a ps2 for a week a couple of months ago and now I really want one. I told my dad that I want to buy one, but he told me that I'm too (bleep) old to (bleep) buy a (bleep) video game, and that I should focus on my (bleep) school.

I'm 21. When I was a kid I played video games 48 hours a day. When I played video games a couple months ago for the first time in, say, 3 years or so, I felt so nostalgic. I remembered those 48 hour days of mine (ahhh, those were the days). But now I fear that I might be too old for video games, and that this is just perhaps a cry for the years I have lost.

:(

So tell me I'm not too young to play video games and that people older than me play them. Do they? Will I be an old bum if I start playing video games again?

Steven Cedrone
02-08-2004, 05:18 PM
As long as you don't let it interfere with school, etc. I don't see a problem with playing video games.

Steve

ziad
02-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Of course you're not too old for video games (except if you play Barbie or some kid games :lol: ), nobody is. I know a 43 years-old very respected person in the French PDA community that still loves video games. He has 2 PlayStations, a GameCube, a GameBoy Advance SP, and of course, his Pocket PC 8) ...

ignar
02-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Visit Gonegold.com. There are lots of avid adult gamers. I guess the majority of forum members are in the 20's and 30's, and there are some in the 60's as well.

GoldKey
02-08-2004, 06:24 PM
I am 30 and have a gamecube, ps2, and gb advance xp, I have friends in their 40's who love games too. I don't think age is a big deal. Just because it is not marketed to older people does not mean it is not a great for that market.

Dave Beauvais
02-08-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm about seven years older than you, sublime, and I play online games several times each week. Every Wednesday night I play Neverwinter Nights (http://nwn.bioware.com/)online with a group of four friends -- all of whom are over 30 -- and we all have a blast. (We do daisy-chained three-way calls on our mobile phones so we can all talk in real-time as we play without the network and CPU overhead associated with PC-based VoIP apps.) But I digress.

I agree with Steve; as long as you don't allow games to interfere with your schoolwork, I don't see the problem. I used games when I was in school to help blow off stress, so I would argue that they could, in fact, be beneficial to students. :lol:

stitics
02-08-2004, 09:12 PM
I rented a ps2 for a week a couple of months ago and now I really want one. I told my dad that I want to buy one, but he told me that I'm too (bleep) old to (bleep) buy a (bleep) video game, and that I should focus on my (bleep) school.

I don't think anyone is ever too old to play video games, however...

For what it's worth, from the perspective of the background info you gave us, I think whether or not your dad is right depends on a couple of things.

1. Whether or not you are living in his house
2. Whether or not he is funding your schooling, either directly or indirectly

dhettel
02-08-2004, 09:36 PM

I'm 21. When I was a kid I played video games 48 hours a day. When I played video games a couple months ago for the first time in, say, 3 years or so, I felt so nostalgic. I remembered those 48 hour days of mine (ahhh, those were the days). But now I fear that I might be too old for video games, and that this is just perhaps a cry for the years I have lost.

:(

So tell me I'm not too young to play video games and that people older than me play them. Do they? Will I be an old bum if I start playing video games again?

:roll: I am probably old enough to be your father's father. Sounds to me like you need to let your dad play a game. I would like to think you have known him long enough to know what he might like.

Like everyone else here, I would say age has nothing to do with it. It's just a question of what you enjoy doing. And not letting the game take control of your life. Being 21 I would hope that would be easier for you than say someone 14, or 8.

Just the old geezers two cents. IMHO of course you are young enough! :roll:

sublime
02-08-2004, 09:57 PM
dhettel:
My father only plays games involving cards. I don't.

stitics:
1) I am living in his house
2) It depends what you mean by funding my schooling. He gives me a room, utilities, and food. However, I pay for my tuition, books, transportation, and other miscellaneous expenses.

Well, thanks to your support, I just bought a system. My dad left for a bridge tournament, and I ran to Electronics Boutique and bought the ps2. I'm not going to open it until he comes home, because I am very, very scared at how he will react.

I don't work, so all my money comes from scholarships and loans, which results in me doing nothing but schoolwork. I need a freaking break! So, Dave Beauvais convinced me that buying this will be beneficial, since I'm working too hard. Thanks!

...but I'm still very, very scared 8O

JackTheTripper
02-08-2004, 10:07 PM
I just bought my PS2 about 6 months ago. I'm 29. ;) And married. 8O And it was HER idea! 8)

Dave Beauvais
02-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Oh sure, blame me! "Dad, it's not my fault! This guy named Dave Beauvais talked fancy to me and convinced me it would help with my studies!" ;)

If we don't hear from you after a few days, someone is sure to call the authorities to investigate just in case he gets really mad. :lol: I guess worst case would be he asks/tells you to return it.

Vincent M Ferrari
02-08-2004, 10:46 PM
At age 28 I currently own:

1. A Playstation 2
2. A Gamecube
3. A Gameboy Advanced

Not to mention the numerous games I play on my PPC and PC...

So to answer your question: You're never too old. Truthfully, if you're 21 years old, I don't see why, even if you're living at home, you have to ask your dad for permission to buy a game system.

Now, if he's giving you the money for it, that's another deal entirely, but really... I say don't worry about it and enjoy it. Whether or not you live under your dad's roof, you're still an adult, and if you earn your own money, it's yours to do with as you please.

Jonathon Watkins
02-08-2004, 11:01 PM
All the best Sublime - let us know how it goes....

tourdewolf
02-08-2004, 11:01 PM
over 35 and own:
Gamecube - for the kids
Xbox - for me

tried the ps2 but found it was too mediocre, not trying to start a flame war but to me it was not adult enough for me and too adult for the kids. And beside it dind't have "Live"

no flames please just my .02 :D

ignar
02-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Yeah, but if you into RPG (especially Japanese style), PS2 is a must have. Personally I have all three. Mostly play action/sports games on XBox, RPG's on PS2, and some exclusive titles on Cube.

mountainguy
02-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Hey Sublime,

I have read the above posts with interest. First, I think it is a brilliant move to blame Dave Beauvais for your purchase!! Absolutley brilliant. To have listened to the wise and informed counsel of an elder and then to be able to reference that in your hour of need is most excellent....it already sounds like a script for Law and Order.

Secondly, I'm a father with a son your age. If I were a betting man, five will get you ten that your dad's frustration or anger is not about the game but probably something else. However, since you have several times alluded to being "scared" about the game, just take it easy. Do you homework, pick up your socks, make the folks a pot of decaf, tell 'em that you appreciate all they do on your behalf.

And oh yeah. You probably want to turn the sound off or play with headphone if it is loud, at least to start with. Rarely does anything get under the skins of us who are AARP candidates than electronic beeping and zinging...not that it bothers me, but it does others.

Enjoy your games, cut your dad some slack. I bet he loves you muchly.

Kenn

Steven Cedrone
02-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Just remember this: If you are victorious and your Dad caves on the "No games for you" edict, make sure you use it in moderation! If your grades take a tumble (for whatever reason) you will give Dad the fuel he needs for the infamous "I told you so" speech. You don't want to be at the receiving end of that one, my friend! :wink:

Hope it all works out for you!

Steve

dean_shan
02-09-2004, 12:04 AM
You are never to old for video games.

stitics
02-09-2004, 12:52 AM
DISCLAIMER: Allow me to apologize in advance if this comes across as anything flame-like. That is not my intention. I don't even really intend this as a commentary on sublime's situation specifically. Also, I realize that this is going further off topic, but it IS related to the original post and a couple follow-up posts. Should it be decided that this has no business in this thread, I would like to request that the moderators move it to its own thread, as I am curious about the other forum members' opinions on the subject.

Truthfully, if you're 21 years old, I don't see why, even if you're living at home, you have to ask your dad for permission to buy a game system.

The truth is, if you're over 18 (at least where I am), you don't technically have to ask your dad for anything. I understand and support that idea on a academic level.

That said, I believe that while you are in a period of your life (regardless of age) where you cannot (or do not, even if you could) stand on your own two feet and support yourself in all your endeavors, the opinions of the people who are taking up that slack are valid, and that what you do that affects in any way what they help you to accomplish IS their business.

When a person wants to be able to make all of his or her own decisions, free of outside input or having to answer to anyone, that person needs to maintain their own residence and provide for their own existence. To the extent that they rely on others for their existence, they must listen to those others or risk losing that support.

What are your thoughts on this?

tourdewolf
02-09-2004, 01:04 AM
When a person wants to be able to make all of his or her own decisions, free of outside input or having to answer to anyone, that person needs to maintain their own residence and provide for their own existence. To the extent that they rely on others for their existence, they must listen to those others or risk losing that support.

IMO I believe the issue is more one of respect. Sure as a self supporting adult I can in America not ask my Dad's permission to play a playstation. But also as a self supporting adult I can choose to respect his opinion on whether or not I should. Just like I can choose to respect the traffic laws or choose to not respect my boss. Either way there are consequences to be considered. If I want to become alienated to society and live in a hole then I can choose not to listen to anyone but if I want to coexist as a functioning part of the whole I will need to respect others. Whether that is my parents who support me or the person driving next to me.
Thanks for letting me share :wink:

Vincent M Ferrari
02-09-2004, 02:08 AM
I'm more concerned that the posts on here seem to suggest terror. I mean, really, even though you may respect your dad, you do have the right to be treated like an adult capable of making your own decisions.

My dad's way of handling my gaming and electronic addiction was to tell me that I could buy whatever I want, but if I fell short on paying my credit card bills or phone bill or anything else I had going on (including car insurance and the like) that it was my problem to deal with, not his.

I'm not saying he should be flat out disrespectful to his father, but at the same time he has to realize that he is an adult and realistically he has the right to be treated like one even by his father even under his father's roof.

No one should be terrified to bring home a video game system. The idea of it just astounds me.

ironguy
02-09-2004, 04:36 PM
OK, I'm 47 years old and have an Xbox. AM I too old? Nah.

My wife actually bought it for me Xmas 2002.

The whole situation boils down to a couple of things (and I'm probably restating everything):

1) Dad pays for your living expenses. That gives him a certain authority. Ha can certainly say, "No smoking in my house" for instance. Does he have the right to tell you NOT to smoke? Not really except as a concerned parent. But he also has the right to tell you, "If you smoke, you're outta here!"

2) You, as an adult, have the right to say, "I don't like your rules. See ya!" Of course you're gonna need a new place to live... all for the sake of a video game

3) I've observed that many parents today (I think I'm probably in your Dad's peer group) tend towards the conservative end of decisions. Or as the saying goes, "Better to err on the side of caution". I'm certain his decision is based on concern for your schooling. BTW, my father taught me that there are few things more important than getting your education, at least at this stage in life.

4) Consider putting off the video thing. Get your education, get a great job, make $$. By then XboX 2 will be out! :wink:

In 25 years, when your kid asks the same thing, you will be amazed at your own thoughts and the final answer. You'll also say to yourself, "Oh no!, I've turned into my Dad! 8O

sublime
02-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Okokokokok easy here.

I feigned terror. It's not like my dad is gonna whip out his belt and give me a lashing for it. I just didn't want my father to feel disappointment at my regressing. And it's not a matter of permission. The thread asks if I'm too old to buy a PS2. My fear was that it might seem immature, and that my father would be disappointed as such. What I was worried about was my dad giving me that look like "son, what have you done?" and pulling a long face.

Sheeeeeeeeeesh.

tourdewolf
02-09-2004, 06:44 PM
The thread asks if I'm too old to buy a PS2.

Yes you are too old for a PS2, you should get an Xbox instead. :way to go:

Jon Westfall
02-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Sublime, I'm the same age as you, and can safely tell you that you're never too old for video games.

Saying that, the last console system I had was the original Nintendo in 86, but still...

Anyway, you're a gem as far as a student. I go to school full-time in addition to teaching part-time and spend way too much on things that one could argue were not worth the money (i.e. pocket pc stuff).

Happy gaming!

PetiteFlower
02-09-2004, 07:57 PM
I had my mom get me my PS2 for my 25th birthday present :) True I use it more as a DVD player then a game system, but I've certainly spent enough hours on FFX to say I've gotten plenty of value out of it as a gaming system too :) You're never too old for games of any sort, everyone needs some fun in his/her life, true your priorities change as you get older but how you choose to relax on your free time is up to you and shame on anyone who judges you for it, especially if it's something as harmless as video games! Ask your dad to justify HIS hobbies :)

Oh and the PS2 is clearly for adults too, see games like Grand Theft Auto that are definitely not meant for kids!

Jon Westfall
02-09-2004, 08:44 PM
I had my mom get me my PS2 for my 25th birthday present :) True I use it more as a DVD player then a game system, but I've certainly spent enough hours on FFX to say I've gotten plenty of value out of it as a gaming system too :) You're never too old for games of any sort, everyone needs some fun in his/her life, true your priorities change as you get older but how you choose to relax on your free time is up to you and shame on anyone who judges you for it, especially if it's something as harmless as video games! Ask your dad to justify HIS hobbies :)

Oh and the PS2 is clearly for adults too, see games like Grand Theft Auto that are definitely not meant for kids!

Good points Petite - i hadn't thought of the DVD player use of it. And GTA is definitely something I wouldn't want my future kids to play (But love to play myself).

DrtyBlvd
02-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Okokokokok easy here.

I feigned terror. It's not like my dad is gonna whip out his belt and give me a lashing for it. I just didn't want my father to feel disappointment at my regressing. And it's not a matter of permission. The thread asks if I'm too old to buy a PS2. My fear was that it might seem immature, and that my father would be disappointed as such. What I was worried about was my dad giving me that look like "son, what have you done?" and pulling a long face.

Sheeeeeeeeeesh.

Personally I wish my Dad had whipped off his belt on occasion - that look you're talking 'bout hurts me more than anything physical ever has done :| :D

Ya need to change your sig - "Future GT3 Champion" :rotfl:

sublime
02-10-2004, 12:10 PM
but I've certainly spent enough hours on FFX...

That's the game that I got with it! Woooohoooo.

DimensionZero
02-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Hi, my name is Ken, I'm 25 and have a Gamecube.
*HELLO KEN!*

Hehehe, so i'm assuming that all is well with your dad? :D

So yeah, I opted for the gamecube. XBox probably woulda been better i think, but with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals just DAYS away, I have renewed faith in the Nintendo platform! hehe.

PetiteFlower
02-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Days? 0 days, it comes out today :)

(my roommate works for Electronics Boutique)

DimensionZero
02-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Hmm.. uncontrollable urge to go to EB............. :mrgreen: