View Full Version : Bought one yesterday - reception sucks big time, pls help

stasik
02-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Got XDA 2 yesterday. So far has been greatly dissapointed. My Jabra 200 does not work but this I can live with. My major worry is very poor reception or dropped of reception whatsoever. Maybe I am doing something wrong - I do not know. From the box with the sim card inserted the strength is shown by the aerial symbol. When you configure gprs it is being displaced by the the two arros and their strength. Should one have gprs on at all times and how or should you only connect it when surfing or getting your emails?

At any case both of those strength indicators seem to drop off very frequently - never had so many missed calls in my life. I have also noticed that when the power is switched off on the unit the sinal strength drops of and when you switch it on it can go back to full strength within few seconds - is it normal?

Please help as I am really annoyed to hear from the people that they cannot get in touch with me any more and I cannot brag about my brilliant new unit. I am tired to look at "searching symbol on my xda 2.

Janak Parekh
02-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Got XDA 2 yesterday. So far has been greatly dissapointed. My Jabra 200 does not work but this I can live with. My major worry is very poor reception or dropped of reception whatsoever.
Are you using this with your same provider or a different one? From what I've heard, the XDA 2 has good reception overall, but of course your wireless carrier might be weak where you're trying to use it...

--janak

stasik
02-09-2004, 07:16 AM
I have swapped my metal case today for the generic leather and not a single problem with the reception. Can this be the case not letting the signal through?

Janak Parekh
02-09-2004, 05:04 PM
I have swapped my metal case today for the generic leather and not a single problem with the reception. Can this be the case not letting the signal through?
Absolutely, assuming the case wraps around the antenna. A metal case will act as an RF shield.

--janak

stasik
02-10-2004, 01:51 AM
Are there any other users that have purchased these cases that had similar problems?

Janak Parekh
02-10-2004, 02:48 AM
Are there any other users that have purchased these cases that had similar problems?
Well, it depends on the design of the case. If it cuts around the antenna stub instead of covering it, and leaves enough space, I think it would be OK. But I'm not an expert on hardcases, so I have no clue...

--janak