View Full Version : Scrolling in P.I.E.

woffles
02-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Is there a way to make pie scroll line by line instead of a page at a time when using the thumb button on my 2215? It jumps around so much that you have to use the stylus first to get the page centered before you can start scrolling down. I'm assuming it's in the registry but haven't done much hacking in there myself.

Jeff

Phillip Dyson
03-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I don't think that its scrolling a page at a time.
I believe that is jumping from one hyper link to another.

I also find it annoying. I was just about to post the same question.

GSmith
03-02-2005, 03:59 PM
I recently had this problem posted to my message board. It seems that some people (okay, now two) are reporting a "link-to-link" jumping with the DPAD. I don't know how prevalent this is, but on my 2215 the DPAD is scrolling by the page.

Here is an excerpt from my message board post:

> Change it so it scrolls by the line,
> instead of jumping from
> one link to another. most of the stories I get are
> somewhat long,
> without links, I then have to use the scrollbars on
> the side to scroll
> the story, typically requiring the use of the
> stylus.

I don't quite understand why this is happening to you.
When the focus is on the Message Window. The DPAD down
and up will scroll a screenful, not link-to-link as
you describe. This is the way it works for me.

It sounds like the DPAD down button is operating as a
TAB button. I can get the Message Window to go
link-to-link by opening the Input Panel and pressing
the Tab button. In this case, it scrolls to and
highlights (draws a box around) the selected link.

Can you provide more information on how the Tab button
works for you and confirm how the DPAD down works as
well?

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS reader and podcatcher
Catches video, too!
www.FeederReader.com

yankeejeep
03-02-2005, 05:00 PM
PIE, by default, scrolls from hyperlink to hyperlink and will only do a page scroll if there is no hyperlink on it. There is a registry hack to change the link-to-link scroll default to full-window scroll, but I have no idea which key value to reset. It is included in Tweaks2k2 under the Internet Tricks. You can check www.tweaks2k2.com/downloads.htm#freewares to see if it is included in the new freebie version. But IMHO, it is worth the small price many times over to purchase the full version. This is one of the first apps that gets added to any device I use.

GSmith
03-02-2005, 07:36 PM
As far as I know, my 2215 did not ever do what you are describing. Probably the first applications I started using on my 2215 was Yahoo! Mail, which has PLENTY of links for me to have noticed this functionality. I guess it's possible that this functionality is different between ROM versions 1.0 and 1.1. I upgraded ROMs when it was first offered. But it's just not universally true that "by default", PIE operates link-to-link as you describe. Unless, of course, I'm overlooking something!

It's possible that this is "by default" on some machines or some ROM versions, but I fairly certain it isn't "by default" on my iPAQ 2215 English ROM version 1.1.

yankeejeep
03-02-2005, 10:21 PM
The registry hack to change the PIE scrolling has been around for a while. Have you installed an apps that integrate with PIE? If so, this was probably automatically changed by that install as it seems to be one of the items most users dislike about PIE's behavior. It's even possible that one of the apps included by HP took care of the hyperlink scrolling. But anytime I have used pristine PIE, this scroll from link to link using the d-pad has driven me nuts. I've had this hacked for so long I don't recall, but I think if you scroll using a sidewheel, you do full-screen scrolls and avoid the hyperlink shuffle.

On another note and back to the original question. I don't know of a way built into WM or PIE to do line-at-a-time scrolling. You might want to look at PIEPlus to see if it would handle this.