View Full Version : Does Restore, Restore everything? (iPAQ1940)

kingpin
02-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Hardware Problem, the backlight flickers and sometimes the backlight does not go on and when the PDA is on charging it locks the PDA and the only way to start it is to do a hard reset. The problem is increasing and it’s only a matter of time before the backlight won’t go on at all. I would assume that it is a hardware problem and I have to send it in for repair.

A question however, when I do a backup is that a complete backup? If I buy a new similar unit can I do a Restore and that’s all? Will everything, system settings, programs and user files be restored? It was a pain to set up the Bluetooth I would not like to do that again.

Tommy

Jason Dunn
02-06-2004, 11:08 PM
It depends on what program you're using - since I see you have an iPAQ, you're using Sprite Software's Pocket Backup, which is an excellent tool. It will restore your iPAQ to the exact state it was in at the time of the backup, including all your Bluetooth settings.

Ripper014
02-07-2004, 03:22 AM
It depends on what you intially backed up... if you did a full backup of your device... then yes everything will be returned to the point of the backup... If you did not backup everything, then obviously only what you backed up will be returned to your device. Note that if your machine has not been hard reset... then only the files backed up will be copied back.. and any files that were not backed up but are on the device will remain on the device...

Does that make any sense...?

kingpin
02-07-2004, 09:18 PM
My first thought was to use the MS ActiveSync Backup to where I have done full backups from time to time. But it would of course be much more sensible to do a backup to a SD memory card even if a I have to do an investment into such a card, since the restore from a memory card will be a breeze, I hope.

Tommy

Dave Potter
02-07-2004, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't touch ActiveSync backup with a 40 foot pole.
Stick with Sprite's PocketBackup - the differences are like night and day.

Ripper014
02-08-2004, 05:43 AM
I use the sprite backup but then I move it to my computer... why keep a backup on your memory card... I have had my memory card fail (Sandisk) losing my backup along with a lot of my other important data.