View Full Version : Major Chip, Mobile Firms Join Processor Standards Team

Jason Dunn
02-05-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/35354.html' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/35354.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Intel has joined the Mobile Industry Processor Interface (MIPI) initiative, and been immediately promoted to the organisation's board of directors. So has Motorola. <br /><br />The two companies' membership - and high-level appointment - was announced yesterday. Some 33 other firms pledged allegiance to MIPI and its goal of defining a standard set of features offered by handheld device processors. Anyone who builds their systems to MIPI specifications will be safe in the knowledge they can throw any MIPI-compatible CPU from any vendor into it. <br /><br />MIPI was formed last July by ARM, Nokia, Texas Instruments and STMicroelectronics. It based its initial version one spec. around TI's ARM-based OMAP processor."

possmann
02-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Cool - I'm glad to see TI and Intel on the same board for once - and the inclusion of Nvidia is promissing - maybe we'll start to see on-baord graphic accelerators 8O of course we'll have to get better battery life first - and maybe better, more economical screens - like the OLED craze that is starting to come into fruition. Man - I really hope they are able to get some cool OLED screens out for PPC's in the next couple of years.

That coupled with a higher res OS, a standard or MIPI compliant chipset and longer bettery life - WOHOO 8)

dmacburry2003
02-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Cool - I'm glad to see TI and Intel on the same board for once - and the inclusion of Nvidia is promissing - maybe we'll start to see on-baord graphic accelerators 8O of course we'll have to get better battery life first - and maybe better, more economical screens - like the OLED craze that is starting to come into fruition. Man - I really hope they are able to get some cool OLED screens out for PPC's in the next couple of years.

That coupled with a higher res OS, a standard or MIPI compliant chipset and longer bettery life - WOHOO 8)

Hey, you left out virtual reality headset ports for the Pocket PC. Who cares about OLED when you can have it displayed in sunglasses and use your eyes for the mouse :D

Jonathon Watkins
02-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Mmmmm, standardising. Good – a bigger pie is better for everyone.

..can throw any MIPI-compatible CPU from any vendor into it.

Well, we’re pretty much there at the moment with all the ARM processors – but of course this is talking about every type of device. Wonder how long it will be before we see shipping silicon.

rmasinag
02-06-2004, 01:55 AM
Hey, you left out virtual reality headset ports for the Pocket PC

They do have that now.............if you have $1,000 lying around you couch :|