View Full Version : My 5555 is H-A-U-N-T-E-D-!

SassKwatch
02-05-2004, 04:13 AM
I swear I'm going to turn the thing on one of these days and the theme to Twilight Zone will be playing. Here's the scoop......

- Purchased the PI5 upgrade the other night.
- Decided to do a full backup before installing.
- Went to the Start menu to load/run 'iPAQ Backup'. But it ain't there. Ain't there? When I did I move that...and where to, I wonder? Maybe in the Programs folder. Nope, t'ain't there either. Oh wait, no worries, I put it in the Snoopsoft Dashboard MiniLauncher a while back.
- Go to the MiniLauncher. Guess what....iPAQ Backup ain't there.
- Well heck, I *KNOW* I can get to it via Dashboard's Launcher (not the 'Mini' version).
- Click over to the Launcher area of DB. Select the 'Programs' folder there, but no Backup app. Select the 'Utilities' folder from there. No Backup app there either. Check the Games folder, the GPS folder, the Utilities folder.....all to no avail. iPAQ Backup is simply nowhere to be found.
- Ok, let's try a soft reset and see if it doesn't reappear somewhere. No luck. Despite repeating the steps/searches described above, it's still nowhere to be found.

At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if I should submit myself for drug testing....or get a prescription for some!

One last thought......
- Open up trusty old Resco File Exlorer.
- Drill down to Windows/Start Menu. Is the shortcut in there? Nope.
- Drill down one more level to the Programs folder.

BINGO!!! Right there in the Programs folder sits the familiar blue & orange icon that says 'IPAQ Backup.lnk' right next to it. Say what?!?!? Resco can find it in the Start Menu/Programs folder, but Windows itself thinks it's non-existent.(???) Whaddup with that????

This is TOO weird. Anxious to install PI5, I put this problem aside for the moment and go do the backup (oh yeah, I should mention that executing the shortcut from within Resco allows the backup to be performed as per usual practice). Then install PI5 and play with it for a while.

But I can't put this 'missing' shortcut thing out of my mind entirely, and before long I'm back trying to retrace my steps.....yet again. Same results. What to do.....

- Copy the shortcut from the Programs folder and paste it into my Utilities folder. Maybe there's something weird going on with the Programs folder.(??) No good...drill down to Start/Programs/Utilities...and no IPAQ Backup shortcut.
- open Resco again. Drill down to Program Files/Snoopsoft/Dashboard/Launcher. Guess what...there exists yet another copy of the shortcut.....though this one is only visible via Resco also.

Only 1 more place I can think to look. Go to Start/Settings/Personal/Menus/Start Menu. Is there an option there to have IPAQ Backup appear on the Start Menu. Nope, it ain't there either.

So, now that I've bored everyone to tears with this tale, the short story is....
- IPAQ BAckup does exist on my device. The .exe is in the Windows folder and is fully functional.
- There are copies of the shortcut to the program in several different folders, and those shortcuts are all visible from within Resco File Explorer...and can be executed from within Resco.
- As far as Windows is concerned, those shortcuts simply do not exist. They are not visible/executable from any of the myriad 'launching' mechanisms available.

I hope nobody minds if I stand up and shout....."Rod Serling GO AWAY! Go haunt somebody else's device.....PLEASE!"

But the TZ music just keeps on playin'.

JustinGTP
02-05-2004, 04:30 AM
Wow, what a thrilling story! :D

-Justin.

dmacburry2003
02-05-2004, 05:53 AM
If you must be so into the twilight zone thing go here (http://music.lycos.com/postdownload.asp?size=1.18&type=F&date=2002%2D09%2D29T05%3A01%3A00%2B00&score=60&name=TwilightZone%2D102Open%5F441%2Emp3&QT=S&QW=twilight+zone&MFS=674089215&loc=http://mrvideo.vidiot.com/TwilightZone/audio/TwilightZone-102Open_441.mp3) and download the theme song(s).

Do de do de do de do de 0X

Jason Dunn
02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Call a priest, get some holy water, and perform a hard reset exorcism. :grinning devil:

SassKwatch
02-06-2004, 01:14 AM
Call a priest, get some holy water, and perform a hard reset exorcism. :grinning devil:
That's sorta the direction I was leaning, but thought I'd post hear to see if there might be any better ideas. I'd really rather not become *too* familiar with the hard reset process. :)

Plus, I've been half wondering if this particular problem didn't arise with the last hard reset I did a couple weeks ago to solve this problem (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23640). Once I got the WiFi working that time, it's been working like a champ ever since and I fear I'll mess that up......or who knows what else.