View Full Version : Pocket PC Thoughts RSS Feed zaps New Post counter

ChristopherTD
02-04-2004, 01:11 PM
At Pocket PC Thoughts I am a registered user, and have my browser set to automatically log me on. This works when I visit via IE.

When my RSS client FeedDemon visits it seems to be recorded as a visit and my "New Posts" counter is reset.

I notice this when I visit the front page as well, without visiting the forums. Is it possible for the New Posts counter to be only reset when a forum message is read, rather than the site visited in any way?

Steven Cedrone
02-04-2004, 01:54 PM
You would probably get a quicker response if you sent this to "Site Admin" via the "Contact" link. I have quoted and forwarded your question!

Steve

Jeff Rutledge
05-05-2004, 04:24 PM
I just tried RSS for the first time this morning. It happened to me as well.

I downloaded my PPCThoughts feed in Egress and then visited the Forums and there were no new posts. :(

I'm guessing it's because I visit Thoughts frequently from my PPC so there's a cookie on my iPAQ. Egress must use IE on some level and the site reads the cookie or something. I dunno...I'm no web developer.

Steve et al: Do you know if this was looked in to?

Jeff Rutledge
05-05-2004, 04:37 PM
An additional note.

It appears that you can get around this as long as you visit the site first with your browser (whether on the desktop or device) and keep it open.

I haven't tested extensively, but as long as I keep my browser session alive and refresh my RSS, the new post information is maintained. I'm doing this on my notebook right now, but it should be the same if browsing from your PPC.

ChristopherTD
05-06-2004, 02:53 PM
AFAIK it was not looked into. It seems to be a general problem in that if you automatically login, then as soon as you visit the website for any reason it counts as a visit and resets the "New Posts" indicator when you leave.

To my mind the "New Posts" indicator should only be reset when you have actually visited the forums, but it may not be possible to determine that.

I just removed my RSS feed to PPCT, since I look at this site regularly and I didn't need the RSS info also...

Jeff Rutledge
05-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I ended up removing the feeds as well. I get the email blasts from the sites, plus I'm here enough that I didn't need it.

Kati Compton
05-06-2004, 06:46 PM
It appears that you can get around this as long as you visit the site first with your browser (whether on the desktop or device) and keep it open.
This is a common problem in other areas. Like, when a Thoughts team member IM's me with a link to a post saying "Oh my - I can't believe someone said something that STUPID!". If I don't already have a browser open to PPCT, it'll screw up my new posts counter.

However, if you go to "Search", you can put "*" (without quotes) as the author, set it to search posts in the last day, and then you'll see all of the recent posts. It's very helpful for those situations.

Jeff Rutledge
05-06-2004, 07:05 PM
However, if you go to "Search", you can put "*" (without quotes) as the author, set it to search posts in the last day, and then you'll see all of the recent posts. It's very helpful for those situations.

That's a great tip! I have a problem like this every once in a while, so this will be very useful.

This may even be worth it's own thread as a tip.

Kati Compton
05-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Great - go ahead and start one. :P ;)

Steven Cedrone
05-07-2004, 12:37 AM
That's a great tip! I have a problem like this every once in a while, so this will be very useful.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23838&
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12034&

Steve

Dave Beauvais
05-10-2004, 04:22 AM
This happened to me, as well, when I first started playing around with RSS last year. I fixed this annoyance inadvertently when I abandoned Internet Explorer. My RSS reader is NewsGator (http://www.newsgator.com/), which integrates seamlessly with Outlook, but uses IE for rendering posts within Outlook in the same way HTML e-mail is rendered. Because I visited PPCT using IE, the login cookie existed and this was apparently accessed in some way by NewsGator, thus resetting my last visit state. (PocketFeed (http://www.furrygoat.com/Software/index.html) for Pocket PCs does the same thing when a PPCT login cookie exists in Pocket IE, which is actually where I first noticed this issue.)

Now that I've been using Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/), IE has no login cookie and the New Posts don't get reset when pulling down the PPCT feed. IE is now used solely for Windows Update, Office Update, and sites which simply won't work in any browser other than IE. :roll:

GoldKey
05-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Like, when a Thoughts team member IM's me with a link to a post saying "Oh my - I can't believe someone said something that STUPID!".

Your just making that up, I'm sure that never happens. :wink: