View Full Version : SLOOOOOW Outlook

delfuhd
02-04-2004, 01:16 AM
This is desktop Outlook I'm talking about, not Pocket Outlook, just to keep that clear from the start

Well all I can say is that checking mail is getting to be a real hassle. Outlook 2002 loads fine, but when I try to read a email in my inbox, it takes at least 10 or so seconds to load the email into the preview pane, and at least 5 seconds for Outlook to register that I clicked on the dang message! What's goin on! All the other outlook stuff (calender, tasks, etc..) work fine.. Are there any temp files or caches that I could clear out? Would that bring it back up to normal speed? TIA!

dmacburry2003
02-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Try Longhorn for a day... 8O

Edit: Outlook doesn't even work on that.

Janak Parekh
02-04-2004, 02:22 AM
This is desktop Outlook I'm talking about, not Pocket Outlook, just to keep that clear from the start
Has this always happened, or is it a new problem? Also, what kind of account? POP3, IMAP, or Hotmail? I've always found Hotmail performance in Outlook 2002 to be excruciatingly slow. Also, how much mail do you have in your Inbox?

dmacburry: Please refrain from useless responses like these in legitimate questions. Outlook probably runs on Longhorn, but what does that have to do with anything? :?

--janak

delfuhd
02-04-2004, 03:12 AM
it's POP3 (I have comcast cable). I tried deleting a bunch of messages, and emptied my trash (it was actually pretty full) but it seems only a tad bit faster. I also made sure I wasn't up near my storage limit for my comcast service, and I'm using about 1% of my space, and it's still slow... This is really annoying as I don't get that many emails int he morning, but about 7-12, and sifting through all of them takes way more time that I have... Thanks again

Steven Cedrone
02-04-2004, 03:16 AM
Just to throw out a few ideas: "Scanpst" and "detect and repair"???

Steve

Janak Parekh
02-04-2004, 05:47 AM
Just to throw out a few ideas: "Scanpst" and "detect and repair"???
You'd think that all the Outlook modules would behave like this then, right? :| I guess it's possible though.

delfuhd, it's almost definitely not a server-side issue, because once POP3 pulls down the messages, it's all on your own PC. Have you recently installed any software, especially those that affect a web browser (such as a popup blocker)? The reason I ask is because IE is actually used in the preview pane to render the message.

--janak

delfuhd
02-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Well it seems a bit up to speed now, after I cleared all the trash out...

No I haven't installed any adware or pop-up blocking programs or anything like that, I try to stay miles and miles away from those programs, as far as I'm concerned all they do is take up space in my toolbar and menubar.

But I guess I'm good for now. Thanks for the help Janak :D

Steven Cedrone
02-04-2004, 12:25 PM
You'd think that all the Outlook modules would behave like this then, right? :| I guess it's possible though.

Hey, two quick things that it doesn't hurt to try... :wink:

Steve