View Full Version : Word (.doc) files are showing up as "Unknown Type"

rburleyson
02-03-2004, 04:55 PM
When I try to open a Word document on my iPAQ (either synced via ActiveSync in the Files folder or attached to an email), the first thing I notice is that it shows the generic "unrecgnized file type" icon. If I try to open from the File Explorer or as attachment I get "uable to display" or "unable to open" message.

If I open Pocket Word I can open the file, but it still shows the generic icon (instead of the Word icon). If I select it (tap and hold) in Pocket Word and tap the Rename/Move option it shows the Format as Unknown Type (.doc).

I have no problem with Pocket Excel spreadsheets.

I have ActiveSync conversion set to (No Conversion .doc).

:?: Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix?

dmacburry2003
02-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Try a soft reset.

If that doesn't work, I think someone's been messing with your registry...

PetiteFlower
02-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Pocket Word can't open native .doc files, you have to let activesync convert them to Pocket Word format.

Dmac your suggestion is, um, absurd.

Also be aware that once you convert the files to pocket word format you may lose some formatting(most? all?) on them. If you just want to be able to view the data in a portable format, then you're ok, but if you want to be able to transfer a complex document to your PPC, edit it, and transfer it back without problems, then you're going to unfortunately need a 3rd party solution. You can still edit your text and have the changes be saved when you transfer the document back to your PC, but basically it will be a plain text document when it gets back.

dmacburry2003
02-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Pocket Word can open .doc :?

My PPC shows the Word icon for .doc :?

Is there a service pack I missed or something? :wink:

PetiteFlower
02-03-2004, 08:08 PM
They may still show as .doc but if they haven't been converted, then PWord can't open them.

dmacburry2003
02-03-2004, 08:23 PM
What do you mean?

I have created a Word Doc, transfered it directly to a storage card and then to the iPaq, and it worked fine.

Am I not catching something here???

Robb Bates
02-03-2004, 08:26 PM
I'll have to agree with dmac. I just tried it. You can open native Word docs. You may lose some formatting, but it can be done.

Robb

rburleyson
02-03-2004, 10:00 PM
The PPC I am having a problem with is an iPAQ 5550. I am pretty sure that I have been able to open these files in the past.

I also have an iPAQ 4150 (I am in a support position at work... they are not mine) that I can open the same files on.

I checked the ActiveSync settings and they are set-up just alike.

Is there a file association option like you have in Windows desktop that I can tell WM2003 that .doc files are Pocket Word?

PetiteFlower
02-04-2004, 06:48 AM
Hm ok is that a WM2003 thing? I have 2002 on my machine and I KNOW there is a conversion that goes on when I sync files!

blusparkles
02-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Sounds like .doc files may have been associated with a program that you've since uninstalled? I suggest using a program like Resco Explorer (http://www.resco-net.com/explorer.asp) to reassociate that file type with Pocket Word. Find a doc file, tap and hold on it, and select the Associate with option.

Robb Bates
02-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Hm ok is that a WM2003 thing? I have 2002 on my machine and I KNOW there is a conversion that goes on when I sync files!

Yes, there is a conversion. But you can turn that off if you want. If you turn it off, the word document gets copied directly and maintains all it's formatting unless you open it and edit it. Then it might lose some of it's formatting. If you have the conversion turned on, it will lose it's formatting immediately when it gets copied over. That works that way in PPC2002 and WM2003.

You can find it Active Sync Under Tools/Options/Rules/Conversion Settings...

Hope that clears it up.

Robb

rburleyson
02-05-2004, 09:58 PM
blusparkles was right. I had installed WESTTEK's ClearVue Document as a trial (I really wanted the presentation software) and after I removed it my .doc files were not associated with any app. I used Resco to make the association with pword.exe and now can open them.

They still show up as an "unknown type" though and do not have the Pocket Word icon either. But at least I can open them.

dmacburry2003
02-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Now I realize what you mean...

This happened with my mp3 files. I assosiated mp3's with GSPlayer accidentally, but when I went to use Resco to change things back over to WMP, the icon simply changed to the dull Microsoft window instead of the familiar WMP button.