View Full Version : Moving MSReader from Card to RAM

baker
02-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Trying to save some memory on my little e310, I moved a book to the SD card and updated Reader to the SD card. The thing is now even slower than before. Is moving the Reader update to RAM as simple as remove from the PPC and re-installing into RAM? I guess it would mean another activation of Reader also? Thanks.

dMores
02-03-2004, 02:43 PM
how did you "update reader to the sd card" ?
install the update to sd-card?
i'd guess you just uninstall the upgrade, then reinstall it to ram.

baker
02-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Yes, just like other programs it let me pick card or main memory for the update. Supposedly the new Reader lets you pick a few fonts. I can see the fonts on the card, but Reader doesn't give the option to pick one. I even tried moving it to windows/fonts, but I guess you have to change the font for the entire ppc to make it work in Reader

Jorgen
02-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Since your aim is to avoid the activation: the activation files are

Microsoft Activation.Unload
Secrep.dat
Secrep.dll
Secrep.xml
Secrepid.dat

I even used the files from a hp-568 to activate a newer version of the reader on a h1910.

- soft reset to ensure nothing is running
- copy the files into \Windows on the PPC and "overwrite" the ROM files
- doubleclick the .xml file to load it into memory
- soft reset again and execute Reader which should then claim that it has been installed

I have not tried this on PPC2003 so if anyone do, I would like to know.

Jorgen

ChristopherTD
02-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Yes, just like other programs it let me pick card or main memory for the update. Supposedly the new Reader lets you pick a few fonts. I can see the fonts on the card, but Reader doesn't give the option to pick one. I even tried moving it to windows/fonts, but I guess you have to change the font for the entire ppc to make it work in Reader

AFAIK the Pocket PC version of MS Reader doesn't let you change fonts. Nor does the desktop version for that matter, but the desktop one will respect font requests encoded into the .LIT file. So if the book publisher wanted a particular font, and you had that font on your PC, it would be used. Otherwise it uses the Reader defaults. On the Pocket PC though it will only use its own pre-defined fonts.

Jorgen
02-06-2004, 12:32 PM
I think he means ability to change font size.

Jorgen

baker
02-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Jorgen & ChristopherTD,
Thanks. Font size wasn't the problem. I wanted to see the other fonts in Reader and I now understand how it works from your help.
Thank you.