View Full Version : Janet Jackson: Put your two cents in.

sublime
02-03-2004, 04:23 AM
Rather than linking people to pictures of Janet Jackson's nipple ring and the nipple in it, I'd like to know what people thought of the stunt; not whether it was premeditated (because I hardly think one can doubt that), but whether it was obscene/offensive. If you were offended by it, I should like to know why. What is about this that is so offensive that it is almost taboo to discuss? I sense this heading for the hall of flame and shame, but I should like to get an idea of the cause of people's outrage beforehand.

As for me, I do not have any children, so I did not pull the Maud Flanders-esque hysterics by repeating "think of the children!" I found it shocking for no more than five seconds. The first four seconds were spent contemplating whether that really was Janet Jackson's boob, and the last second was spent acknowledging how this is merely a publicity stunt. My morals were not outraged. Were yours?

Jacob
02-03-2004, 05:07 AM
I wasn't offended at all. I thought it was just stupid - accident or not.

Also, the breast was only visible for a split second.

There is worse imagery on plenty of TV shows.

PetiteFlower
02-03-2004, 06:03 AM
I didn't see it, but come on, it's only a boob. 50% of americans have them. Think of the children? Who's more familiar with boobs then children? Well babies anyway. Someone's top accidentally coming off is not sexual(well not intentionally, some people have fetishes), it was an accident, what's the big deal? Americans take nudity way too seriously. Now if Justin had started DOING stuff to her boobs, that might be offensive :) Unless you're Diana Ross bouncing lil kim's pastied boob at the MTV awards a few years back, that was just cool. IMHO ;)

As far as I can tell, the top layer of the outfit was supposed to come off, but somehow the second layer got scrunched down during the dancing, hence the exposure. If you've ever worn a tank top made of silky or lacy stuff(and I'm betting that most of the people here haven't, being mostly guys!), you'd know how easily they can shift and slide. So that's why I think it was an accident.

Brad Adrian
02-03-2004, 06:09 AM
I've got nothing against human anatomy. The thing that bothered me, though, was that this stupid display occured without any warning. In most other programming situations, we're given an indication of the appropriateness of a show for young viewers. I think MTV owed it to the viewers to provide some kind of "M" rating prior to the show.

And, go ahead and call me a prude. :)

In the end, though, I think the whole thing was a pathetic gimmick aimed at trying to breathe life into a flagging career.

Mitch D
02-03-2004, 06:56 AM
In the end, though, I think the whole thing was a pathetic gimmick aimed at trying to breathe life into a flagging career.

LOL... who's? Janet or Justin??? :wink:

carphead
02-03-2004, 08:00 AM
I was just amazed at how naff her nipple ring was! 8O

You'd guess if she knew she was going flash she'd at least got the breast prettied up a bit. Maybe next time she could sell advertising space on it. Think of the money!!

BTW This thread is rated PG = Parent Guidance is recommended!

dh
02-03-2004, 12:28 PM
The non-football part of the Superbowl has gotten to be unwatchable as far as I'm concerned. There wasn't a single act I could stand so I found something else to do at halftime.

At least the second half of the game was good.

ironguy
02-03-2004, 03:59 PM
I didn't like any of the halftime show. The Janet Jackson thing was way out of line.

aroma
02-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Honestly it wasn't any more offensive then most of the dancing they were doing where they were basically "dry-humping" each other. And it was most definately NOT an accident. That's the sad part, is that it was planned in order to get a reaction.

Kati Compton
02-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Well, if you watched and re-watched it with your TiVo, TiVo knows...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=1&u=/nm/20040203/en_nm/television_tivo_dc

baker
02-03-2004, 05:14 PM
When half time came, I saw about a minute of the show, then went to the PC and then to PocketPC Thoughts. It wasn't until I was driving to work and heard the story on the radio that I knew what had happened. I did read a post on Thoughts later that night about a "boob", but thought it was a joke.

Jacob
02-03-2004, 05:19 PM
The last I heard was Janet claims that they came up with the idea to rip off part of her costume after rehearsal - why CBS knew nothing about it.

She also claimed that there was supposed to be a red lace thing covering her breast when it happened.

I agree that the whole half-time show was bad. I can't remember the last one I saw that was good though.

aroma
02-03-2004, 06:00 PM
I'm not going to insert the picture here, but if you take a look at this picture (no nudity): http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20040203/mdf462759.jpg

and take a look at the part of the costume in Justin's hand, there is no red lace bra that was also ripped off. The red lace that you see is a small strip that was sewn to the top of the black cup.

Steven Cedrone
02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Well, how about we drop this and get back to discussing Pocket PC's?

Thread locked!

Steve