View Full Version : irock Anyone Heard of This??

shawnc
02-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Anyone ever heard of this or something similar? I sampled this in Sharper Image and it seemed to work fine in the store. You plug it into the headphone jack, set your radio to one of 4 stations, and somehow you are able to hear your PPC through the radio.

I don't know how this works but the price is only $30. I was just wondering if there was anything similar.

Thanx.

www.sharperimage.com/us/en/search/searchresults.jhtml?_DARGS=/us/en/include/standardheader1.jhtml.13

Sven Johannsen
02-03-2004, 03:28 AM
There are lots of similar things. Came across one today, in one of these forums I believe, that seems a bit more sophisticated. Saw prices from ~$70 and down, but http://www.mp3playerstore.com/buy_it_now__/audiaX.htm seems to be the best price. Know nothing of the seller though. I found a couple of decent reviews on the item. Biggest advantage is that it can tune continuously from 88 to 108. Good news for those in crowded radio markets.

Anthony Caruana
02-03-2004, 03:35 AM
I reviewed the iRock 300W recently for this site

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,18938

Nice device but I rarely used it so I recently eBayed it.

jngold_me
02-03-2004, 04:41 AM
Garbage. Not worth the money.

Just my .02

Canuck
02-03-2004, 05:10 AM
I have a similar device (Radioshack $25 I think) and I find it adequate for road trips, when you are going cross country, but not for the city. Mine can tune between 88.3 and 90.5 or something like that. I live in a large city (Toronto) and find that it is basically un-listenable in town, but has helped on long trips. I had earlier tried a cassette tape style adapter which was terrible, so this was a little better.

shawnc
02-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanx guys. The link to the review was especially helpful. I'll try it for a couple of weeks and post back with my experience.

jcsickz
03-11-2004, 01:21 AM
I got the irock from radio shack with the dc adapter for my t-mobile ppc... no complaints thus far. sounds pretty damn good, only step up would be getting a stereo with a line in jack

shawnc
03-11-2004, 02:00 AM
I kind of forgot about this thread but since I promised to post back......

I loved the irock for the 1st week but started to get frustrated with the constant static. It wasn't real bad but just enough to irritate once the novelty wore off. I increasingly found myself simply listening to my ipaq with the headphones on (I know, not very smart while driving). Once I realized what I was doing, back to the store went the irock. Oh the beauty of the Sharper Image 60-day return policy.

Unfortunately my car doesn't have cassette so I can't get one of those adapters. I've GOT to figure out a way to listen to my SD card while in the car :evil: !

Canuck
03-11-2004, 04:53 AM
I found a slight improvement when I actually dangle the unit of the edge of the dash so it is hanging directly in front of the stereo, but it is still useless for music. Audio books on the other hand... I find the quality less an issue. So if you are into Audible content on those long comutes, I still think it is worth it.