View Full Version : Can you have both Palm and PPC devices on same PC?

wolfpackfan
02-02-2004, 04:34 PM
I currently have a Handspring Treo 300 which I am considering replacing with a Dell Axim X3i. Since my Treo 300 also serves as my cell phone and I don't plan on replacing cell phones right now (will eventually though), I would like to keep both devices connected to my PC. Is this possible? What problems might I run into? Thanks.

ux4484
02-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Yes you can, but the task will be much easier if you sync only to Outlook and not try to sync to both Palm Desktop AND Outlook. It can be done, but the settings have to be selected very carefully, and you may end up loosing/restoring your device(s) data multiple times before achieving success. Contacts are the only real problem, here's what I do: First off, if you're using Palm Desktop, backup your Treo, install Pocket Mirror (on your install CD) on your PC, and start syncing to Outlook. Many of the POS data fields do not show up in Pocket Outlook, so you will have to (one time) go into Outlook on the PC, find where it put the data, and cut/paste it into a field that shows in pocket Outlook. This sounds tedious, but do it once, and you're done.
Then set Hotsync to only Sync with Pocket Mirror and sync up your Treo and verify you can see all the relocated data. This is the point you would install Activesync and then sync up your new PPC and verify all your PIM data transfered so it can be displayed (you may have to go back into Outlook and tweak some more).
There are other methods, but I can tell you this way works consistantly.
I have my Axim X5 and Visor Deluxe syncing the same data with zero problems using this method, hopefully you will too.

wolfpackfan
02-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks for you reply. I am already syncing to Outlook on my Palm, so it shouldn't be a problem.

ux4484
02-02-2004, 05:05 PM
you'll might still have to do some "user field" shuffle when you get your PPC, but you're three quarters there already using Outlook.