View Full Version : <--LANDSCAPE--> view

wing
02-02-2004, 01:38 AM
Hello all,

Just wondering what you think is the best Freeware (or other) software title for flipping the PPC screen!

(I have an xscale on a Toshiba 330)

Ideally, it is prolly best to have the direction pad flipped, as well. I think that MS Reader and Excel spreadsheets would look awesome this way, and be a lot more comfortable to hold while reading in bed.

...I MEAN AT WORK! YES WORK IS WHAT I NEED IT FOR...AT WORK yeah, that's the ticket.

arnage2
02-02-2004, 04:40 AM
there is only a program for the ipaq 5000 series, toshiba e800's, and i think there is also one for ppc2002. Check pocketgear

Paula
02-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Try Nyditot Virtual Display. You can change the orientation and the resolution as well and many other things. It works on all PPC 2002 and Mobile 2003.

Paula

arbitrajeu
02-03-2004, 01:24 PM
You could also wait until later in the year when Microsoft are due to release an update to Windows Mobile 2003 which will provide native landscape support without soft resets! I can't wait :D

wing
02-03-2004, 08:56 PM
sweet ass! thank you for the ideas! i will check them out, and then show those Tungsten owners who is boss...

yippeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS????

:)

STW
02-03-2004, 10:08 PM
You could also wait until later in the year when Microsoft are due to release an update to Windows Mobile 2003 which will provide native landscape support without soft resets! I can't wait :D

Anybody have an idea when it comes out, and how much it'll cost?

arbitrajeu
02-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Anybody have an idea when it comes out, and how much it'll cost?
If it's not free I'll find me a Mydoom.C they can't dodge :lol:

Note to Microsoft lawyers: That was humour. Remember that?

Andrew
02-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Just as a point of interest I tried putting linux onto a 3870 and a 3630 just to see what it was like. One thing that was nice, was that on both machines, the os had the ability to switch to landscape on the fly, without seemingly any performance hit or a need to soft reset. The screen refresh rate was quite good to.
If we can get something similar to this from Microsoft it will be great, and if it can be done in linux, then I dont see any reason why it cant be done with Win CE either :)

Stephen Beesley
02-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Just as a point of interest I tried putting linux onto a 3870 and a 3630 just to see what it was like. One thing that was nice, was that on both machines, the os had the ability to switch to landscape on the fly, without seemingly any performance hit or a need to soft reset. The screen refresh rate was quite good to.
If we can get something similar to this from Microsoft it will be great, and if it can be done in linux, then I dont see any reason why it cant be done with Win CE either :)

I hate to harp (really I do :roll:) but the Newton OS could do this back as far as 1995. In fact one of my first big suprises when switching to PPC was that it could not do this - I spent a good hour or so reading through every piece of documentation that came with my original Jornada 545 to see where this feature was hiding! This is going to be one of the features that I will most appreciate when I finally get around to getting a WM2003 device

Steven Cedrone
02-04-2004, 05:28 PM
I hate to harp (really I do :roll:) but the Newton OS could do this back as far as 1995. In fact one of my first big suprises when switching to PPC was that it could not do this - I spent a good hour or so reading through every piece of documentation that came with my original Jornada 545 to see where this feature was hiding! This is going to be one of the features that I will most appreciate when I finally get around to getting a WM2003 device

Hey, at least with the Jornada 54x series we had the "Rotate R" command! Unfortunately it still required a reset, but at least it was there out of the box!

Steve

Stephen Beesley
02-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Hey, at least with the Jornada 54x series we had the "Rotate R" command! Unfortunately it still required a reset, but at least it was there out of the box!

Steve

Too true - the "Rotate R" (and the small apps like "rotater" and GoLandscape" which could be used to activate the command) was one of the things I missed when upgrading to a 568. It is a pity that there does seem to be any such simple solution for later PPCs. I find solutions like Nyditot and Jimmy landscape just do too much.

Lex
02-06-2004, 01:48 AM
I always chime in on this issue to point out you'll have to soft reset to go to landscape and to return to portrait view with all available software options (until someone corrects me). (Using PPC 2002)

I got tired of that resetting pretty fast.

Good 'ol portrait view...

tsb_hcy
02-06-2004, 07:03 AM
ResFix 2.0a is out now. Not only do we have hardware landscape support now, but also upside down portrait mode as well. Long live the e805. :devilboy:

Stephen Beesley
02-06-2004, 09:41 AM
I always chime in on this issue to point out you'll have to soft reset to go to landscape and to return to portrait view with all available software options (until someone corrects me). (Using PPC 2002)

I got tired of that resetting pretty fast.

Good 'ol portrait view...

...and as I have already pointed out this is something that has always bugged me with PPC as well. But even so a simple app that just rotates the screen (even with a soft reset) would be very handy so that i could use my IR keyboard in Landscape mode.

Anyway I am holding out on buying a new PPC until this issue is solved. Hey how knows maybe my next PDA may not even be a PPC :devilboy:

joelevi
03-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I hate to harp (really I do :roll:) but the Newton OS could do this back as far as 1995. In fact one of my first big suprises when switching to PPC was that it could not do this - ...

On the Newton note... I'm still waiting for Transcriber/Calligrapher to get to the point where it's (a) as accurate as the Newton's HWR, and (b) as easy to use (remember the scribble to delete gesture & animation/sound?). Also, remember the routing icon where you could send any document (card, note, spreadsheet, etc.) to an email recipient, printer, beam, and other places with a plug-in (FTP, etc.). Wouldn't it be cool to tap a single icon and be able to send your document (or whatever) via Bluetooth, Beam, Email, Ftp, printer (via Bluetooth or IR or Printer Card)...

Ah... if only Jobs hadn't killed my little green friend, we'd probably be on "www.NewtonThoughts.com" today...

Andy Whiteford
03-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Nothing official has been said of native landscape support in the first EUU for Windows Mobile 2003 although I would assume it's on the way after watching the videos of the new Motorola MPx which flips easily between portrait and landscape view. Oh and such an update should be free going on past history. :)

Palm Cow
03-02-2004, 04:13 AM
Is there any free screen rotator for PPC2k2? I checked Pocketgear, but everthing costs money! I like my money!

Thanks!

jcsickz
03-11-2004, 01:31 AM
I screwed up my t-mobile ppc 2002 by using js landscape... had to do a hard reset and lost everything because the screen was too blurry and messed up

Stephen Beesley
03-11-2004, 09:45 AM
I hate to harp (really I do :roll:) but the Newton OS could do this back as far as 1995. In fact one of my first big suprises when switching to PPC was that it could not do this - ...

On the Newton note... I'm still waiting for Transcriber/Calligrapher to get to the point where it's (a) as accurate as the Newton's HWR, and (b) as easy to use (remember the scribble to delete gesture & animation/sound?). Also, remember the routing icon where you could send any document (card, note, spreadsheet, etc.) to an email recipient, printer, beam, and other places with a plug-in (FTP, etc.). Wouldn't it be cool to tap a single icon and be able to send your document (or whatever) via Bluetooth, Beam, Email, Ftp, printer (via Bluetooth or IR or Printer Card)...

Ah... if only Jobs hadn't killed my little green friend, we'd probably be on "www.NewtonThoughts.com" today...

I just cannot help myself responding to any post that mentions the Newton (okay so I mentioned it first in this thread, but hey what can I do... :D).

Boy do I miss the routing icon and the "scribble gesture", but what I also miss is the ability to recognise text "on the fly" - ohh well I sure they will catch up one day.....

To bring this back on topic (as hard as that is for me) I suspect that until one of the reasons the Pocketop drivers were getting downloaded so much before they started charging for them was people like me who use them only to enable landscape mode.

juni
03-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Can't wait for the WM2003 update with landscape mode :). Of course, then I will have to start including landscape support in my skins again. :D

Stephen Beesley
03-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Can't wait for the WM2003 update with landscape mode :). Of course, then I will have to start including landscape support in my skins again. :D

And I cannot wait for the WM2003 update with landscape mode so that I can start using whatever great landscape skins you create :D