View Full Version : Sena or Vaja?

Hyperluminal
02-02-2004, 12:08 AM
Lately I've been thinking of getting a better case for my iPaq 2215. The one that comes with it isn't that good, and I think I might want something better.

I've narrowed my choices down to two: a Sena (http://www.senacases.com/hp2215/) leather case, or a Vaja (http://www.vajacases.com/home_en.html) case. The Sena costs $40, and I'd probably get the classic Vaja 971 case, which after my Thoughts subscriber rebate would cost about $35. So the price difference would be negligable.

Now, I'm thinking the Sena seems like the better choice. While the Vaja is supposed to be relatively thin, according to reviews, the Sena is thinner. Also, the Sena has a magnetic clip, which I want, and you can put the iPaq in the cradle with the Sena case on. The Vaja can't do that. And the Vaja doesn't have any features over the Sena that I want, that I can tell.

Still, Vaja is supposed to be the best around. So my question is, is there still a reason the get the Vaja? Is the leather that much nicer, or more rugged, or workmanship that much better? Sena is supposed to be very good also, from what I hear. But is the Vaja a lot better?

(Mods- while the cases I'm talking about are for the iPaq 2215, and some of the specific features (like syncing in the cradle) may not apply to all PDAs, I think this still belongs in General Discussion, since it applies to all people who've owned a Vaja or Sena case. If you disagree though, feel free to move it. :) )

Possum48
02-02-2004, 12:25 AM
It took me about a week and plenty of time reading and re-reading the reviews and posts about PPC cases.

I have the 2215 and wanted a case that would be as thin as possible, flip open easily and allow me to sync the unit without removing it from the case (2215 has problems with the rubber grips you know).

Also the Sena case (mine is the red & black one) is really nice looking. The quality of the leather and the construction is top notch. All the openings for the various buttons, memory cards, stylus, headphones, soft reset button line up perfectly.

In my opinion the Sena is the better of the two hands down!

Sven Johannsen
02-02-2004, 12:40 AM
I can't say anything first hand about the Vaja. My 2215 is in a SENA. It is excellent, and I even bought a SENA for an Axim in the house. Also excellent quality. I do wish SENA would produce a 4155 specific case.

Hyperluminal
02-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Interesting. I think I'm getting sold on the Sena. :)
One other thing.. putting the iPaq into the cradle with the case on doesn't sem to be hurting the leather, does it? Also, is it difficult putting the iPaq into the cradle with the case on?

Possum48
02-02-2004, 02:02 AM
I have seen no damage to the case whatsoever from putting it in the cradle. As for the ease of putting the 2215 in the cradle, again, no problem, it goes in very easily.

christak
02-02-2004, 02:36 AM
I have a Sena as well... Great case!! I highly recommend it as long as you are not looking for too much protection for your iPAQ. The screen is well protected, but the bottom of the unit has little...

8)

dh
02-02-2004, 02:36 AM
I got the red/black Sena case for my Axim, because it adds very little to the size. (Important when dealing with an X5). I've had it for nearly a year and it's as good as new. Very happy with it. :D

christheswiss
02-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Yes, Sena is the case to have :mrgreen:
I have one for my 1945 and the fit and leather quality is outstanding. I had several VAJA cases for my older IPAQ's, the quality of those cases is indisputable, however, the price was rather high on those.
The Sena was only $ 39.00 with no sacrifice in quality and it is the slimmest case to boot, go for it !!!

Paula
02-02-2004, 07:35 AM
One more vote for the Sena Case.
I have the Blue/Black combination. The case fits snugly, the magnets hold securely, The device sits perfectly in the cradle without any damage to the case, the leather is of good quality, the leather also softens to the touch with use, but does not stretch out, The stiching is perfect and finished properly.

IMHO the Sena is a quality case for a great price.

:D

Paula

Andy Whiteford
02-02-2004, 12:59 PM
I've not used the h2210 cases but between these cases for my h1940 I prefer the Sena. Both are great cases and probably the best fitting/smallest leather flips out there but the magnetic closure of the Sena sold it for me. I find it more convenient and makes the case overall a little smaller than the Vaja.
Otherwise though they are both on a par in my eyes.

ironguy
02-02-2004, 04:01 PM
I just got the SENA case for my 2215. I sync at home and work using the cradle at work. It was a pain to always take out the unit to sync. I commute on a bus so I listen to music. With the Vaja case, you ahve to remove the headphone every time you open or close the case.

The Sena is nice. The only drawback is that the magnetic closing system is a bit weak compared to the Vaja snap closure.

christheswiss
02-02-2004, 05:23 PM
My magnetic closure (for a 1945 case) was also somewhat weak in the beginning and I was concerned about it. However, after a few days of use, the flap lost a little bit of it's stiffness and it is perfectly fine now. Again, the form factor of these cases cannot be beat, partially due to the magnetic closure. Also, somebody mentioned the leather, it is simply beautiful to the touch.... :mrgreen:

Hyperluminal
02-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Well, if I get either case, I think it'll almost certainly be the Sena. Thanks guys! :)

Hey, just out of curiosity, those of you that have a 221x.. is the iPaq in the Sena case smaller/thinner than it is in the original one?

ironguy
02-02-2004, 09:09 PM
The SENA case is definitely thinner that that original junkie nylon case. The leather is form fitting. It also feels great in your hand.

I really should not be promoting the SENA as I have a Vaja I'd like to sell!

mrkablooey
02-03-2004, 03:17 AM
No experience with the Vaja, but when I go with the leather case, I use the SENA which I love. Metal I use the Innopocket.

:)

mattbugz
02-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Wow! So many opinions pro Sena. I just ordered a Vaja for my 5555 so I can't give an opinion just yet. Where are the Vaja proponents?

PS. I have the Krusell for the 2215. Inexpensive, but the leather is not of high quality.

Canuck
02-03-2004, 05:44 AM
While I haven't used the Sena (I didn't like the two-tone leather look) I have to throw in a vote for the Vaja. The quality is exceptional, and I don't find I have to take out the earphones to open the case. The snap closure is small and secure, and the case is so well fitted that the snap closes well without the magnetic aid. The shape is slim and it is easy to use with one hand. It is very classy and has very detailed construction. I ordered a matching phone case and find the two compliment each other very well.

All of this said, I would make two suggestions. First, check out casesonline.com if only to widen your appreciation for the different forms a leathercase can take. Second, make sure in your price calculations you include shipping, as it can be very significant.

All this said, the vaja is great. The only other case I've seen that makes me doubt my choice is this one: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20894&highlight=2215+naked+case

That goes a whole different direction, but if you're looking hardware protection and you want it thin....

Brad Adrian
02-03-2004, 06:06 AM
...Where are the Vaja proponents?
There are plenty of us still out here. I love my cases from both vendors, but have been bragging more about my Sena case lately, mostly because it's newer and (until recently) less known than Vaja.

mrkablooey
02-03-2004, 01:15 PM
While I haven't used the Sena (I didn't like the two-tone leather look) I have to throw in a vote for the Vaja.

My SENA is all black, no two-tone for me. :)

Steven Cedrone
02-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Wow! So many opinions pro Sena. I just ordered a Vaja for my 5555 so I can't give an opinion just yet. Where are the Vaja proponents?

I have a Vaja for my 2215, and I love it! Never tried Sena, so I can't really compare the two.

Steve

ctmagnus
02-03-2004, 11:12 PM
I really, really love my [not-listed-here (www.pielframa.com)]-brand case for my iPaq 5550 but I really, really want a Vaja case so I'll just get one for my T68. That way, I can show off my future Vaja case and my [not-listed-here (www.pielframa.com)]-brand case at the same time!

However, like several other posters here, I've never tried a Sena case so I can't compare the two.

Wiggin
02-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Here's a Vaja vote! :clap:
I have a 4150 case, a 3850 case, and an iPod case. All are of equal quality... fantastic!
Price conscience folks should think twice about Vaja...there are some good leather options out there for less money. For those willing to spend a few extra $'s, you will be very happy with the product. I have not seen any case that offers higher quality than the Vaja case. I still get a grin when I'm on a plane using my 4150 or iPod and the person next to me leans over to ask .... NOT about the technology, but about the case! :rotfl:

Hyperluminal
02-11-2004, 05:00 AM
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Anyway, thanks for all the advice. If I get anything, it'll probably be the Sena. :)

I'm still deciding on if I need one though. I'll keep you updated... :)

Jeff Rutledge
02-11-2004, 05:13 AM
I have a 4150 case, a 3850 case, and an iPod case. All are of equal quality... fantastic!
Price conscience folks should think twice about Vaja...there are some good leather options out there for less money. For those willing to spend a few extra $'s, you will be very happy with the product. I have not seen any case that offers higher quality than the Vaja case. I still get a grin when I'm on a plane using my 4150 or iPod and the person next to me leans over to ask .... NOT about the technology, but about the case! :rotfl:

I agree completely. Nothing against Sena as I'm sure they're nice cases, but the Vaja cases are incredible. I've also had many comments about my Vaja cases. If you're willing to spend the cash, you won't be disappointed.

Hyperluminal
02-11-2004, 05:23 AM

I agree completely. Nothing against Sena as I'm sure they're nice cases, but the Vaja cases are incredible. I've also had many comments about my Vaja cases. If you're willing to spend the cash, you won't be disappointed.
Interesting. I'd be interested in the classic Vaja 2215 case, which costs $55, minus $20 from my Thoughts subscription, for a total of $35. That's not so bad, but it's been out of stock for a while. The custom ones, besides starting at like $75 before coupon, also have like 30 day wait times, which would be annoying (though, I could of course get over it ;) )
Unfortunately, Sena's backordered too, so I guess they're all in the same boat...

Just curious, what color case do you have?

Jeff Rutledge
02-11-2004, 05:35 AM
Just curious, what color case do you have?

I've actually had about 5 over the course of all my PDA's (I was lucky that my work got a couple of them). Every one I've owned has been black. Not very creative I admit, but I think all black accessories looks so good. My laptop bag, my clipboard, my daytimer (when I used them)...all black.

Kind of boring I guess eh? 8)

Hyperluminal
02-11-2004, 05:41 AM
I've actually had about 5 over the course of all my PDA's (I was lucky that my work got a couple of them). Every one I've owned has been black. Not very creative I admit, but I think all black accessories looks so good. My laptop bag, my clipboard, my daytimer (when I used them)...all black.

Kind of boring I guess eh? 8)
Na.. black is probably what I'll get too. ;)

Your work bought you Vaja cases? 8O Wow... :)

Jeff Rutledge
02-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Your work bought you Vaja cases? 8O Wow... :)

yeah, well the guy who approved it isn't with us anymore. :mrgreen:

Ripper014
02-11-2004, 07:36 AM
If I was to buy a case I would get the Sena... I just wish that it opened from the side rather than a flip... but I like the idea of being able to sync without having to take it out of the case... not really an issue since I could do it wirelessly but being a creature of habit I always drop it on the cradle... and the price seems very fair at $39.99US compared to other cases...