View Full Version : My 1935 has great timing

Wiggster
02-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Well, a few days ago, I ran across the trouble with my device that's listed here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23416); the device dies any time I plug it into an AC outlet. So, after talking to someone on HP's live support site, I'm told to call Compaq's number and arrange a pickup of my device so it can get sent for repair. A few minutes later, I found out that my warranty ended less than two weeks ago, so after a free estimate for repair, I'll be footed with the bill for repair if I want it repaired. If I don't like the look of the price, they'll send it back to me, no money changing hands.

Now, this happened two days ago, so obviously I haven't sent off my iPAQ yet, so I've no idea how much it'll cost to repair my $200 iPAQ. So, I'm thinking that if this repair costs more than $100, I'll be looking for a new device, maybe getting a nice upgrade somewhere.

Not really any point to this post, just venting a little. And if anyone has any suggestions for what to buy, I wouldn't mind hearing some. I'm looking at the 4155 as a possible replacement, as I could still use the metal case I got for my 1935. But then I'd have an extra SD WiFi card. Oh, well.

Wiggster
02-06-2004, 12:30 AM
$180 to replace that motherboard. Yep, time to shop for a new PDA.

I'm really, really leaning towards the 415x, but with the rumor that it'll be discontinued soon has me a little jumpy. So, I'm looking for opinions: should I stick with my buddies at HP and get the 4155, or should I look elsewhere, like Asus, for a PDA with built-in WiFi and higher-end specs?

arnage2
02-06-2004, 03:47 AM
get an asus a620bt. or if you have some extra $$$$ pick up a ipaq 5555 discounted.

whatsnext?
02-06-2004, 04:02 AM
I have a 2215 plus some nice things(aka Krussel case, keyboard, etc.).
If you are interested pm or email me at [email protected]

Wiggster
02-06-2004, 04:35 AM
get an asus a620bt. or if you have some extra $$$$ pick up a ipaq 5555 discounted.
I have a 2215 plus some nice things(aka Krussel case, keyboard, etc.).
If you are interested pm or email me at [email protected]

Arg, two people give me suggestions/offers, and manage to hit on three of the four PDAs I'm considering. So what are the pros and cons? (Let me know if I've got it wrong anywhere)

iPAQ 4155 Pros: I can use all my existing accessories and cases. Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth for under $400. Getting a PDA from the most popular PPC manufacturer. Normal headphone port. Tiny. My roommate has one.
iPAQ 4155 Cons: Possibly going to be discontinued soon. IR placement makes it incompatible with my IR Keyboard unless I flip the screen. Is prone to the same motherboard meltdown that my 1935 went through

Asus A620bt Pros: The longest battery life around. Good gaming capability. Bluetooth and Wifi for under $360. Asus makes good things
Asus A620bt Cons: Asus makes PDA's? :wink:

iPAQ 5155 Pros: 128mb memory. Bluetooth and 802.11b
iPAQ 5155 Cons: $550 for a bulky device

iPAQ 2215 Pros: CF and SD. Microphone in. Cheapest of the bunch.
iPAQ 2215 Cons: Still rather bulky. I have no CF accessories

Feel free to add anything to the list.

Here'rs what I did with my last PDA: I hooked it up to a keyboard and transcribe lectures and took notes. I popped in my SD WiFi card and surfed the internet out on a hammock. I played quite a bit of Bejewelled, Insaniquarium, Quake, Age of Empires, Bust Em 2, and anything else that I find laying about. I also watch some movies or listen to MP3s on a 256 mb SD card.

I'd like a little increase and speed, and to have WiFi integrated so that I can keep my SD card in there and still be on the internet. (Un)fortunately, all of these PDAs do that, so I'm still a little in the middle about what to do. I love HP and like my accessories, but the Asus is so tempting, and the other form factors of HP negate some of my accessories. Price isn't much of an issue, I'd just prefer a sub-$500 device.

Bladefree21
02-06-2004, 05:39 AM
I'd like a little increase and speed, and to have WiFi integrated so that I can keep my SD card in there and still be on the internet. (Un)fortunately, all of these PDAs do that, so I'm still a little in the middle about what to do. I love HP and like my accessories, but the Asus is so tempting, and the other form factors of HP negate some of my accessories. Price isn't much of an issue, I'd just prefer a sub-$500 device.

We all know and you know, :wink: you want the 4155 8) Go for it and enjoy! :D I am sure it is a great device! 0X

whatsnext?
02-06-2004, 02:53 PM
i could include an atari retro sd game card and two cf mem cards. the 2215 is a great gaming device and is pretty durable. a yeah i have a best buy PSP with it as well.