View Full Version : Using Mencoder (MPLAYER) for encoding to divx PocketMVP

Mitchybums
02-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Does anyone use Mencoder for encoding to divx for pocket PC?
I have been trying to get it working, but it just wont play in Pocket MVP.
It seems like the AviHeader is not written correctly for PocketMVP to read it, even though windows media and the like can.
In the header (hexedit an avifile) it mentions something like vids in the beginning part of a file that;s not working, and on a file done with virtuadub, that does play in PocketMVP, it has VIDSDIVX.
the nonworking one doesnt have it.

Is there a way to fix this pretty simple, without loading it in virtuadub?

Tom W.M.
02-01-2004, 05:24 AM
Frankly, I have no idea what half of what you said means, but if it's a problem with the structure of the AVI file, you could load it into VirtualDub and set the audio and video streams to "Direct Stream Copy" (in their respective menus) and save the file.

kaneis
02-01-2004, 08:12 AM
I have the same problem with transcode.
The resulting .avi does not work with PocketMVP, the only solution
so far is -as mentioned- to open the .avi with virtualdub and save it with direct stream copy... It's a good thing virtualdub works under wine for us linux users out there!

Mitchybums
02-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Just figured it out.
virtuadub is not fixing it properly either, but for the linux users (and daring windows users as well)

ffmpeg does the job just great, and very fast.

Just set video and audio codec to copy, and you are set.

will most likely work for your transcode as well.
also make sure the divx resolution is in power of 4 size.
otherwise it wont rotate.

Big headache today because of this, lol.

btw, both mencoder and ffmpeg are command line tools, this runs in either linux or using a windows port of them in a dosbox.

Jude
02-02-2004, 05:19 PM
You can also try using OggMux. Load the AVI into OggMux and let it convert the AVI to an OGM, it only takes a few seconds. PocketMVP can play OGMs just fine. The OGM will also be slightly smaller than the AVI.