View Full Version : Outlook 2002, two computers, one copy?

animlmed
01-31-2004, 06:46 PM
I was trying to put outlook on two computers ( so that I may sync with both of them). I tried instaling outlook on the second computer ( it is already installed on the first) and it would not let me. I called microsoft anf they told me the version that came with my h1935 is only able to be on one PC at a time. Has anyone else run into this problem? They said the solution for me syncing with a second computer is to buy another license of outlook. i'm not too down with that idea. Any advice or similar experience? Thank you in advance.

SteveClawson
01-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Outlook 2002 can only be installed on one computer, due to MS licensing registration process, which works similar to XP (unless you get an OEM copy). Outlook 2000 was the last version I remember that could be physically installed on multiple computers (legally is another question).

I have Outlook 2002 at home and Outlook 2000 at work, and they seem to play well together with syncing, although email can only be synced at one location. I have mine set up to get email at home, and use WiFi to connect directly with the mail server at work to update email at work. Services like Avantgo sync up fine through both locations.

JvanEkris
01-31-2004, 10:01 PM
Legally you have to own a license for every user on every computer (so if two people use two computers together, you legally need 4 licenses....)

Jaap

Kati Compton
01-31-2004, 10:17 PM
Depends on the license. If, for example, you buy Office from Best Buy (this doesn't work if you get it with your computer usually), I believe you can install it on both a desktop and a laptop, provided you're not using both copies simultaneously. It's generally the OEM versions that restrict you to a single computer. As for a different license for 2 different people *sharing* a computer (where they're not using the computer at the same time), I don't think that's the case...

Kati Compton
01-31-2004, 10:18 PM
Oh - and I'd suggest asking around here if anyone has a spare that they're willing to send you for cheap. IE, if they already had Outlook installed on their computer and didn't need to use the copy that came with their PDA...

aroma
01-31-2004, 10:45 PM
I believe you can install it on both a desktop and a laptop, provided you're not using both copies simultaneously. It's generally the OEM versions that restrict you to a single computer.

That use to be the case, but I belive most companies have gone away from that form of license and now require a separate license for each machine. As far as OEM license go, not only are you restricted to one machine, but your restricted that THE machine it came on. Even if you no longer use that machine and trash it, you can't legally install the OEM license on another machine.

- Aaron

Kati Compton
01-31-2004, 11:17 PM
That use to be the case, but I belive most companies have gone away from that form of license and now require a separate license for each machine.
AFAIK, it's still the case with full versions of Microsoft and Adobe software. Though it could be because I have educational versions.

JvanEkris
02-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Educational licences are campus-licenses. They are much less restrictive because universities/colleges buy a (discounted) license for all students at once. The student/employee only pays for the physical medium. This more or less resembles company licenses which are much different from the personal licences distributed when you buy a product in the store....

Jaap

Kati Compton
02-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Educational licences are campus-licenses. They are much less restrictive because universities/colleges buy a (discounted) license for all students at once. The student/employee only pays for the physical medium. This more or less resembles company licenses which are much different from the personal licences distributed when you buy a product in the store....
Not necessarily. It depends on if the school *has* a licensing agreement with the software company or not. Also, educational software can be purchased online, for example, where the school is not involved buying the license. I purchased the Adobe license (and Visual Studio .NET 2003 license) myself, but with an educational discount.