View Full Version : Squeal like a pig

MadAxeMan
01-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi all,

new to this forum - I have just exchanged my Pocket Loox for an IPAQ 5550.

I have to say I was very pleased with the 5550 - built in wireless and bluetooth and Windows Mobile 2003 made wireless setup childs play.

Also like the feel in the hand and the touchscreen seems a little more sensitive than on the Loox.

Overall first day impressions were really good. Until I used it at night, when all was quiet. Then I noticed the squeal. Emitted from the top and bottom of the unit mainly and it seems to change pitch if you put pressure on the case at different points.

Anyway I am in the process of exchanging it for a replacement. Although the chap I gave it back to couldn't hear a thing, neither could another guy, but I'm not the only one who could either...

I have done some research and it seems the IPAQ is not the only device that display this feature. Palm T2 and T3's do too. One solution to the Palm problem was to overclock.

So my question is two-fold:

1) Has anyone else expereineced the squeal on one device and not on another (identical model)?
2) Is it possible to over/under clock the IPAQ to see if this cures the squeal?

Cheers.

buckyg
01-31-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi MadAxeMan,
I have a 5555, with no squeal or other unwanted noises. So I'd say that what you're experiencing is not normal. Hopefully, your replacement unit doesn't squeal. If you can get that problem taken care of, I think you'll enjoy the machine very much.

It is possible to over-/underclock this iPAQ. The two programs I hear the most about are ImmierSoft XCPUScalar and Anton Tomov's Pocket Hack Master. I believe they're both available on PocketGear & Handango. You can probably find a lot of information and feedback on these and other programs by searching the forums here.

Good luck!
Best Regards,
buckyg

dylanbj
02-01-2004, 07:52 AM
This happened to me before, with an ipaq 1940, when i first bought it it was only a mild squeal then over the next couple of days it just got worse and worse.
I took it back to the place where i bought it and they gave me a new one and it didn't (and still doesn't) make any noise.

MadAxeMan
02-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Cheers guys.

Hopefully the replacement will be here tomorrow and I'll let you know...

Server
02-02-2004, 05:03 PM
1) Has anyone else expereineced the squeal on one device and not on another (identical model)?
2) Is it possible to over/under clock the IPAQ to see if this cures the squeal?
Cheers.

There is a small ferrite core transformer inside
these units, part of the DC to DC converter circuitry.
If the two halves of the core are not glued together,
it will emit a high pitch whistle. There is NO FIX other
than playing with the screen brightness to find an acceptable
noise level. In some cases, recording is also affected by this
interference noise but using a mic plugged in helps.

This issue is exhibited across multiple platforms and observed
in many units with no apparent long term ill affects.
Apparently, with time the noise level dies down.
Changing the unit for another will NOT guaranty you
a noise-less unit (which is only audible in dead silence).
But go ahead you never know, you might
end up with one that has no noise but 4 bad pixels or a bad
cold solder or both.

2. Overclocking will not cure the 'squeal' as this is unrelated
to the problem/issue

MadAxeMan
02-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Cheers for the info. I suspect you are right on the nail.

I have the new unit and it is better than the last one. However it is still audible, just not annoyingly so.

I will experiment later with the backlight when all is quiet.

It's odd that my Loox was never audible in any way, perhaps the new brighter screens are the cause... ...I guess that's a fair trade off :)