View Full Version : is the older 3650 recorder/mic better than the new 1945 recorder/mic?

STW
01-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Switched to a new 1945 recently, and I wonder whether the older 3650 recorder/mic has better quality. My 1945 doesn't give me the same options for different levels of recording quality; the 1945 just has a gain level for the microphone. Music recorded off the 3650 sounded good enough to be useful, the 1945 recordings are muddy.

I need the highest quality recording I can get for music out of the little mini-recorder, so what settings should I use on the 1945. I don't have to worry about file size because I use a 256m SD card.

The music recording I do is just what I record at my guitar lessons. My teacher will demonstate a song and I use that for practice, and store it on the hard drive at home--a huge improvement over using cassette tapes for this, and I have a file of demonstrations over a few years now.

famousdavis
01-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Switched to a new 1945 recently, and I wonder whether the older 3650 recorder/mic has better quality. My 1945 doesn't give me the same options for different levels of recording quality; the 1945 just has a gain level for the microphone. Music recorded off the 3650 sounded good enough to be useful, the 1945 recordings are muddy.

I need the highest quality recording I can get for music out of the little mini-recorder, so what settings should I use on the 1945. I don't have to worry about file size because I use a 256m SD card.

The music recording I do is just what I record at my guitar lessons. My teacher will demonstate a song and I use that for practice, and store it on the hard drive at home--a huge improvement over using cassette tapes for this, and I have a file of demonstrations over a few years now.

What program are you using to record? Wouldn't the software program you're using become a major factor in the quality of your recordings?

STW
01-30-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm just comparing recordings made in Notes on the 3650 and the 1945.

I found the problem though--I was selecting recording input mode on the Audio selction in settings/system which only offers a close or far recording option. If you look in Settings/personal/input/options you can choose the reocording format Hz, 8 bit, etc. from a wide range of quality settings. Mine was set on the low quality default which probably explains my problem.

powder2000
01-30-2004, 09:57 PM
If you haven't tried yet, I would mess around with the recording options in settings.