View Full Version : Upgrading to Outlook 2003

bgate
01-30-2004, 06:10 PM
I am considering the upgrade to Outlook 2003 and I am wondering if anyone here has done so and if there were any issues on the PPC side of life? Issues like: dreaded Guest, ActiveSync issues.

I am also wondering if it fixes any issues. I have some conflicts in my contacts that can't be resolved :evil: . They are "locked" in outlook and can't be deleted or altered :? ...

Thanks-

ppcsurfr
01-30-2004, 06:35 PM
The Guest issue is an ActiveSync issue and not an Outlook issue.

Outlook 2003 is actually much better than Outlook 2002 (XP).

I think upgrading to 2003 is a good move.

Carlo

famousdavis
01-30-2004, 06:52 PM
The Guest issue is an ActiveSync issue and not an Outlook issue.

Outlook 2003 is actually much better than Outlook 2002 (XP).

I think upgrading to 2003 is a good move.

Carlo

Do tell!

I tried upgrading to Outlook 2003 and something strange and awful and awfully strange began to happen with my Address book. I don't even remember the details now, but my tried-and-true address book sorta disappeared and in it's place was something else that looked like an address book from years earlier. I'm sure it was correctable, but I didn't bother with it (and wasn't a member here yet!) so I just returned to Outlook 2002.

buckyg
01-30-2004, 08:49 PM
This is related, but if it needs to be a new thread, that's fine too...

Does anyone that's using Outlook 2003 use it with Exchange? I primarily use my work PC w/ my PPC. Our company currently uses Office 2000, will soon be going to either XP or more likely 2003. We use Exchange. Since Outlook 2002 came with my PPC and we'll be upgrading one of these days soon, I gave it a try.

BAD mistake! I could barely send & receive emails. It was forever trying to send/receive with the server. It was worse when I was connecting to work from home via a VPN and cable modem. It was so bad I could not send emails most of the time. ActiveStync really stank when that happened too.

I've heard the same thing from the couple of people I know who tried Outlook 2002. So I'm happily back on Outlook 2000 and hoping 2003 is better.

famousdavis
01-30-2004, 09:26 PM
This is related, but if it needs to be a new thread, that's fine too...

Does anyone that's using Outlook 2003 use it with Exchange? I primarily use my work PC w/ my PPC. Our company currently uses Office 2000, will soon be going to either XP or more likely 2003. We use Exchange. Since Outlook 2002 came with my PPC and we'll be upgrading one of these days soon, I gave it a try.

BAD mistake! I could barely send & receive emails. It was forever trying to send/receive with the server. It was worse when I was connecting to work from home via a VPN and cable modem. It was so bad I could not send emails most of the time. ActiveStync really stank when that happened too.

I've heard the same thing from the couple of people I know who tried Outlook 2002. So I'm happily back on Outlook 2000 and hoping 2003 is better.

By golly, as I read your note, I had an epiphany: I use Outlook 2000, not 2002. It was Outlook 2002 I had such problems with, not Outlook 2003.

FWIW....

buckyg
01-30-2004, 10:38 PM
That's okay, famousdavis, I get confused sometimes too with all the number labels: 2000, 2002, 2003, XP, etc. Either Outlook/Office 2002 or 2003 is also referred to as XP, I think it's 2002. When I talked to the PC support folks here at the office, they kind of got it confused, too. (As in: "Outlook 2002" "You mean Outlook XP?")

Anyway, am hoping Outlook 2003 is better than 2002, for my sanity with both work email and working with my PPC.

Janak Parekh
01-30-2004, 11:34 PM
Does anyone that's using Outlook 2003 use it with Exchange?
My officemate does, and likes it a lot. That said, I found 2002 to be a huge improvement over 2000 when working with Exchange. The simple fact you can have IMAP and Exchange coexisting was a major difference. However, it's entirely possible your problems with 2002 were for a different reason, and I won't guarantee you won't have those problems in 2003. They should be fixable on either version, but it might take some effort...

--janak

Steven Cedrone
01-31-2004, 01:40 AM
I use Outlook 2003 and Exchange, works fine for me!

Steve

aroma
01-31-2004, 03:37 AM
Same here. I've been using Outlook 2003 since about the moment it was availabe and have had no problems with it. I belive it is by far the best evolution of Outlook to date. I use it with an Exchange server on a notebook (so I do both online and offline use) and haven't had any issues regarding the Exchange server or ActiveSync.

- Aaron

buckyg
01-31-2004, 04:51 AM
Thanks everyone, that's good to know.

Since my upgrade was on a work laptop w/ my own copy of the software, it wasn't officially sanctioned. So I couldn't ask for much help from the support staff at work. I will talk with them before they roll 2003, though, just in case. Who knows, maybe it was something else unique to my machine or our setup?

Thanks again!

PDANEWBIE
01-31-2004, 04:46 PM
Okay just so everyon is clear there was Outlook 97, Outlook 2000, Outlook 2002 (which is also Outlook XP) and Outlook 2003. After Outlook 97 and 2000 there was a push for the address book to get "migrated" into the contacts instead of as an address book. As far as that is concerned I happened to love my address book but now that I have been using contacts so long I am starting to get used to it.

As far as upgrade problems I have not had ANY issues with any upgrade. Though I must admit I have not upgraded my outlook while I had a Pocket PC connected to it (I just started using Outlook 2003).

Let me tell you though that I have had not one problem so far with Outlook 2003 and synchronizing.

Janak Parekh
01-31-2004, 07:58 PM
Okay just so everyon is clear there was Outlook 97, Outlook 2000, Outlook 2002 (which is also Outlook XP) and Outlook 2003.
You forgot Outlook 98, which was not the same as Outlook 97 and was a free download from MS for a while. ;) That was the first "decent" version of Outlook, in my opinion.

--janak

Mark_Venture
01-31-2004, 10:57 PM
Does anyone that's using Outlook 2003 use it with Exchange? I primarily use my work PC w/ my PPC. Our company currently uses Office 2000, will soon be going to either XP or more likely 2003. We use Exchange. Since Outlook 2002 came with my PPC and we'll be upgrading one of these days soon, I gave it a try. .....

I've heard the same thing from the couple of people I know who tried Outlook 2002. So I'm happily back on Outlook 2000 and hoping 2003 is better.Currently, my job has me working at a customer site. The customer has supplied a laptop, running Win2000 and Office 2000 SP3 and that stays in the office at all times. The laptop from my company is WinXP Pro with Office 2003 and I take it everywhere. So I decided to configure it to access my email on my Customer's Exchange server.

BIG MISTAKE.... While Outlook from Office 2003 works fine, ActiveSync with my iPAQ is happy, etc, there is a Problem where Outlook 2000 will hang on exit saying "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook exits." if you have accessed your mail box with outlook 2003. So as you can guess, I have to END TASK on my Win2k/Office2K box.

When I searched for this a few weeks ago in the MS Knowlege base, I found nothing. Now I found... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834005&Product=out2K that talks about a Post SP3 hot fix for Office 2000 to resolve the issue, but it is not available for download, you must call MS to get it.

aroma
01-31-2004, 11:59 PM
Hmmm... curious. While I use Outlook 2003 on my laptop 90% of the time, I also use Outlook 2000 when accessing my mailbox on our Terminal Servers, and I haven't experience this problem. I wonder what exactly is the cause...

- Aaron

dlangton
02-01-2004, 01:29 AM
I'll see the hanging on exit problem quite often with Outlook 2k, updated to SP3. Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to Outlook XP, even though I have a copy, because I run a Journal application on my PPC which won't sync properly with versions past 2k.

ctmagnus
02-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Do any of you use Word as your email editor? iirc, there was an issue several versions of Outlook ago where Outlook would hang when shutting down, when Word was used to edit/read email messages.

dlangton
02-01-2004, 01:48 AM
I sometimes use Word as my email editor, but not recently. I prefer straight text messages. The problem with Word occurred in Outlook 97, as I recall.

I'm just about ready to install the patch - mskb 830045. I'll post back with my results.

dlangton
02-01-2004, 03:02 AM
So far ok after installing the patch for Outlook 2k. Had a little problem at first with ActiveSync server throwing an exception error (I've never seen that before.) And Outlook crashed while checking my mail. After a reboot of Windows 2k, everything seems to be just fine. Of course, half the problem may have been due to about 35 viruses I just received. :cry:

Mark_Venture
02-04-2004, 04:28 AM
Do any of you use Word as your email editor? iirc, there was an issue several versions of Outlook ago where Outlook would hang when shutting down, when Word was used to edit/read email messages.Nope. But I did try changing that setting, makes no difference. O2K still hangs on exit. :(

IowaArchitect
02-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Outlook 2003 is okay, as long as you don't plan on using the Business Contacts Manager portion of it - those contacts wont synch with ActiveSync.......good one Microsoft - make two pieces of software that don't work with each other. 8O 8O

Jason Dunn
02-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Does anyone that's using Outlook 2003 use it with Exchange?

Yup. Works like a charm for me.