View Full Version : Longhorn

David Prahl
01-29-2004, 04:49 AM
Thanks should go to fellow member Shadowac90 - he's the one who told me about it.

I have trouble reading the analog version - just too small. Plus the fact that I dislike analog clocks in general. Have you guys seen the analog clock in the Longhorn screenshots?

dmacburry2003
01-29-2004, 05:03 AM
I've seen it it person :wink:
It's actually nice...

David Prahl
01-29-2004, 01:48 PM
I've seen it it person :wink:
It's actually nice...

:drool:

Friend...

(Gimme a copy now!) :D

dmacburry2003
01-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Naughty David! :shocked!:

You'll just have to wait... a few years till release :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe by then Pocket PC's will have a 150 MB Sidebar too :D

David Prahl
01-29-2004, 10:59 PM
I'll be beta testing Windows Media Center XP 2005, but would rather have a copy of longhorn.

dmacburry2003
01-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Just one more post quick, (sorry so off-topic).

I think :? I signed up for Windows Media Center 2005 testing and am looking forward to that instead of Longhorn. Longhorn is just... ToOOoOOo slow right now. (I have to wait about 3-4 hours for it to start) Once loaded it runs about 1 half the speed of Windows 98. Actually, it is just like Windows XP. I haven't noticed any differences other than the fancy icons and the... 300+ crashes I have had already.

Do you [David] know when beta for WMC '05 will begin? I heard in the summer or towards fall. Someone I know said beta for Longhorn will begin in Q2 2004.

jgrnt1
01-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Sorry -- continuance of Longhorn clock discussion:

Have you seen Desktop Sidebar (http://www.desktopsidebar.com/index.html)? It's great, seems very stable and has a Longhorn analog clock option. I've been running build 55 for several weeks with no issues.

David Prahl
01-30-2004, 12:13 AM
(I really don't care where this thread goes - personally I find this tanget more engrossing than the Today screen feature it was started for.)

No idea, dmacburry2003, but I would assume that they'd like to have WMC 2005 go gold this year. Wouldn't that follow their naming scheme? Name it 2005 because it comes out in 2004? Also, how close did you just get to violating your NDA? :lol:

Neat app, jgrnt1! Does that just run on Longhorn?

dmacburry2003
01-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Windows Media Center 2005 is code-named Symphony.

I like that better than Code-Name Longhorn (I ain't no rancher :wink: ).

Since Longhorn is not yet in beta, I like the idea of WMC '05 because that WILL be in beta and beta is a lot more stable than alpha.

Again I go with the alpha, beta, theta, delta, :roll: .

That app does look neat, I didn't really look at the specs but wouldn't someone design something like that to put Longhorn features in earlier OS's?

PS: *he thinks* Longhorn? What Longhorn? I don't have no Longhorn :?
:wink:

dmacburry2003
01-30-2004, 12:27 AM
PSS: Microsoft plans their OS releases thirty years ahead of time :lol:

David Prahl
01-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Sounds like Longhorn will have as many

Charlie Rodger Alpha Sierra Hotel Echo Sierra

as Windows 98 First Edition. What kind of system are you running it on?

jgrnt1
01-30-2004, 12:43 AM
David,

I'm running Desktop Sidebar on XP. It's very customizable. You can add and delete panels, customize individual panels, etc. The Outlook panel is great. It displays my appointments and tasks, and pops up a note when I receive an email. Hovering the pointer over just about anything brings up a pop-up bubble with more info. I can read my email in the bubble without even opening Outlook. If I hover over the weather panel, the bubble shows weather.com's entire 10-day forecast, with radar image. The RSS feeds are great, too.

It can be a memory hog, though. Depending on the panels that are running, it can take up 50MB+. Mine takes about 25MB.

dmacburry2003
01-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Now, when I paint this picture, please don't laugh! :wink:

Longhorn is running on a Pavilion notebook with:

a 600 Mhz Intel Pentium III
128 MB's of RAM
a simple 4x 8 MB graphics card (I think)

This is why LH runs soooo slow, but I am sure that it is actually running faster than one would expect of the machine's performance.

Let me just say this:

The driver capabilities amaze me (the one's of Windows 98, not Longhorn, now :wink: , if you know what I mean). Not one driver CD did I pull out for my various accessories nor for the actual PC hardware during setup (even though it took SEVEN hours for it to identify my hardware). Also, the graphics capabilities of my Windows 98 OS :lol: are really neat. It instantly changes from one type of visual appearance to another. Windows 98, NOT Longhorn :wink: . Ex: Windows 98>XP and back again. Also, my mouse and popup visuals have shadows behind them (ON WINDOWS 98 ). Get it?

What I can say about Longhorn though, is that when the beta/real release is released it'll be worth the waiting now. Alpha is just... to... unstable.

Steven Cedrone
01-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Posts split from here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23761&sid=dd26e2dacc8e8a9f80795c2b1029b39f)

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

dmacburry2003
01-30-2004, 01:09 AM
lol Steven :lol:

I was wondering where it went :wink:

Steven Cedrone
01-30-2004, 01:16 AM
lol Steven :lol:

I was wondering where it went :wink:

Yeah, well it became painfully obvious that you guys were never going to get back on topic! :wink:

Steve

David Prahl
01-30-2004, 01:19 AM
Well, dmacburry2003, it would be interesting to see how well Windows 98 performs on a faster computer (like mine!). :wink:

By the way :wink: , I got the whole :wink: "windows 98" :wink: thing on the first :wink: .

Jason Dunn
01-30-2004, 01:39 AM
What a strangely disjointed thread this was to read. :lol:

dmacburry2003
01-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Sorry, I just wanted to be sure :wink: You know how Microsoft can get all suey and everything :roll: Plus I wouldn't want to lose my copy. It would be worse than losing my PPC 8O

Anyway, my *Win 98* has a few neat things about it (I don't know if this is offered in Windows XP) like when I pop in a DVD it opens a box asking:

What do you want to do?
Play DVD Movie using the program included on the DVD
Play DVD Video using Windows Media Player

Or something like that...

If I put something in with pictures or abstract files on it it opens up a similar dialog.

Also, it seems the explorer apps are now seperated (Windows 98 build 4051) like now the vice versa can no longer take place between the My Computer explorer and the Internet Explorer. The included "block pop ups" button is nifty in IE. There is also a download manager. Again W98.

Windows no longer freeze, as they used to. Now, if a window stops responding, I can still click the "X" button no matter how disfunctional the window is. Its almost as if the heading of a window is a seperate app.

Mostly the biggest upgrades are in My Computer, IE, and in the basic overal visual style.

David Prahl
01-30-2004, 02:02 AM
How did you get in line to alpha test "Win98"?

I'm in the WMC'05 crowd, but would love to see win98.

JustinGTP
01-30-2004, 02:05 AM
What a strangely disjointed thread this was to read. :lol:

Indeed - does David ever sleep or go out with friends? I swear he lives on this board :shock:

Jason Dunn
01-30-2004, 02:07 AM
How did you get in line to alpha test "Win98"? I'm in the WMC'05 crowd, but would love to see win98.

Well, it's part of MSDN Universal - that's how I got it. I think I have the disc around here somewhere...now I'm itching to take it for a spin. ;-)

David Prahl
01-30-2004, 02:13 AM
Indeed - does David ever sleep or go out with friends? I swear he lives on this board

Hey, look at your post count and join date! I'm not the one who spent 20 posts trying to convince Jason to fudge the sig rules... :)

You're right about the "sleep or go out with friends" part, though. My computer is about five feet from my bed, so I tend to spend a bit of time on it. Okay, maybe a lot of time. 8)

Hyperluminal
01-30-2004, 03:10 AM
Well, I applied for the MS beta program, and judging by the survey they sent me, it looks like I'm being considered for the WMC05 beta program too. Even though I said "Windows Lognhorn" in the box for the application I'd like to test. Some nerve... ;)

Anyway, from what I hear Longhorn is supposed to enter public beta by summer of this year (although that seems unlikely based on dmacburry's description of his copy of Win98).. but that's what I've heard. You can only hope, right? :D

dmacburry2003
01-30-2004, 03:41 AM
Windows 98 :rotfl:

To let you know the speed of Longhorn on my computer, I wanted to post this twenty-five minutes ago.

*Dmacburry2003 worries about being accepted into the WMC '05 beta. He quietly thinks about his secret weapon, Kazaa.* Oh, too bad for Dmac, Kazaa does not work well with Longhorn :D

David Prahl
01-30-2004, 04:36 AM
*Dmacburry2003 worries about being accepted into the WMC '05 beta. He quietly thinks about his secret weapon, Kazaa.*

Yikes! Nearly violating your NDA and insinuating illegal software distribution in one night! MS will be after you soon, dmac! :)

Oh, too bad for Dmac, Kazaa does not work well with Longhorn :D

There goes any hope of Longhorn succeeding. Isn't Kazaa's install base the size of a small planet?

JustinGTP
01-30-2004, 04:40 AM
Indeed - does David ever sleep or go out with friends? I swear he lives on this board

Hey, look at your post count and join date! I'm not the one who spent 20 posts trying to convince Jason to fudge the sig rules... :)

You're right about the "sleep or go out with friends" part, though. My computer is about five feet from my bed, so I tend to spend a bit of time on it. Okay, maybe a lot of time. 8)

Well the stuff you come up with, it makes you wonder :) I mean, look at all of your Off Topic posts recently :lol:

Janak Parekh
01-30-2004, 05:39 AM
Nothing wrong with that. My job requires me to be in front of a computer... 8)

Well the stuff you come up with, it makes you wonder :) I mean, look at all of your Off Topic posts recently :lol:
What's wrong with them? The Off-Topic forum is there for a reason... ;)

--janak

dean_shan
01-30-2004, 05:41 AM

:rofl:

Janak Parekh
01-30-2004, 05:42 AM
I think I have the disc around here somewhere...now I'm itching to take it for a spin. ;-)
8O Nononononono. Perish the thought! Win98 beta? :pukeface: ;)

--janak

David Prahl
01-30-2004, 01:55 PM
I think I have the disc around here somewhere...now I'm itching to take it for a spin. ;-)

"Oh yes," remarked the powerful king. "I do seem to remember having that particular diamond laying around here somewhere."

JustinGTP
01-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Nothing wrong with that. My job requires me to be in front of a computer... 8)

What's wrong with them? The Off-Topic forum is there for a reason... ;)

--janak

Since when did this include you? What I said was merely pointing out about David's post, I didn't say that anything was wrong with them.

:frusty:

David Prahl
01-31-2004, 02:08 AM
Look! I just de-railed another thread!

:mrgreen:

Steven Cedrone
01-31-2004, 02:11 AM
Look! I just de-railed another thread!

:mrgreen:

And look! I just locked another thread!

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator