View Full Version : Toshiba e805 or HP Ipaq H5555

mountainguy
01-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Hey Folks, in the next week or so I'm purchasing a new PPC. I've been a dedicated Ipaq 3835 user for a good number of years now and it is time to upgrade. Just recently spent a good deal of time face down recovering from eye surgery and WI-FI capability is a given. I'm debating between the e805 and the H5555.

Characteristics that are important for me are: WI-FI, large excellent screen due to vision issues, preferably both SD and CF slots. Sturdy unit. I do a lot of traveling both domestic and internationally so will be using this for email, surfing and ebooks.

Let me tell you what my dilema is. For the last couple of weeks, I've been reading about new devices and doing my home work and specs and what not. Either one of those devices would basically fit my needs, probably more than my needs. Screens size and quality is a really, really huge deal for me, so that is driving a lot of this. I had heard and read so much about the e805 and finally got to see one today. The guy at the local Circuit City shop did not even know how to get the thing turned on. Anyway, after getting it up and running, it was nice, but I was underwhelmed. Without exception every single review I've read goes on and on and on about the great screen. Please do not hear me wrong, there was nothing wrong with it, but it was a little bit like hearing that the Messiah has arrived, and that his name is Joe. Screens, as well as messiahs, should make the trumpets blow. I was also surprised that the format just did not look as professional as I had assumed that it would. It sort of reminded me of one of the first giant calculators that I had had many years ago in college.

After seeing that model, I tooled down the road to the local Office Depot and looked at their Ipaqs--driving by the way, with a black patch over my eye looking all piratey. Of course the Ipaqs were locked in this clear plastic circular display that Harry Houdini would have been baffled with. You could touch them and mainpulate the keys, but you could not hold them. What good is an unholdable handheld? The local clerk was cool though when I asked if I could hold it. He told me that to get it out of the case was too much of a hassle, but he went and got a completly new unit, openned up the box and let me hold and play with it a little.

The H5555 seemed professional and well put together. The screen did not seem that much smaller or less clear than the e805. Does .2 make that much difference? It does lack the CF slot without the sleeves, which is a bummer as I hate loading it up with different sleeves. However, I do already have a number of sleeves from my current 3835 so it is not like I have to buy any new equipment.

I think what I really am interested in knowing is if you debated between the two machines and chose one for a specific reason, what was that reason for you? It could be a technical reason or just a visceral one that was right for you. I have probably read all the different reviews that are on the different sites, but I'm very interested in the reaction of folks who are using these machines day in and day out and what that reaction is based on. Ultimately, of course, I will end up making my own decision, but I value your collective wisdom.

Thanks for your input and your insights. And by the way, watch out for piratey guy with an eyepatch driving an F150 in Virginia!

Kenn

Janak Parekh
01-29-2004, 09:42 PM
The e805's casing is indeed inferior to the 5555's, in my opinion. On the other hand, it does have dual slots. On the other other hand, Bluetooth is not integrated.

Regarding the screen, you have to view it in VGA mode to truly appreciate it. In QVGA, it's just that it's a bit large -- nice, but not astonishingly so. Given your eyesight condition, I'm not sure how useful VGA mode would be for you anyway. What you should do is to launch the "Screen Resolution" applet on the e805 and see how it looks in the high-res mode. There are hacks that make that high-res mode work with many other WM2003 applications.

--janak

mountainguy
01-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the word, Janak. Just about the only thing I DID NOT do when play with the e805 was to launch the applet for the VGA screen. I'll swing by there in a day or so, launch it and see what it is like. That will give me another exposure to the screen and the product. I appreciate your insights.

BTW, congrats on your MS MVP status. That's cool.

Ripper014
01-30-2004, 12:54 AM
I agree.. from reading your first post it seemed evident that you did not have the E805 in VGA mode... In 320x240 you would be underwelmed since the screen is larger that the Hp5500 it would not be nearly as clear... the pixels are further apart...

I think it is a great idea to swing by and have another look. However I don't agree about the VGA not helping you... I think it will actually make things a look more sharp for you... have a look and please post back... I would be really interested in your point of view... I have yet to come across a unit in Canada... and my interest is peeked...

mountainguy
01-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Okay Ripper, I'll swing by there this weekend and let you know what I find out. I'm interested to see it in full VGA mode. Thanks for your input.

Later.

newst
01-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Before you spend your money cruise the E-800 forum at Brighthand http://www.brighthand.com

This is the most active E-800 community I have found. Members have developed programs that open up the VGA capability to all installed programs, not just the Clearview apps that the Toshiba is limited to out of the box.

Considering the controlling issue of your vision the modified 800's VGA capability, giving smooth, large print with a reasonable amount of information on the screen, can not be over emphasized. The problem is that you won't be able to check it out at the store counter.

In fact, the latest version of RESFIX (one of the upgrades) will give you stable, hardware controlled, and fast landscape capability in VGA. Combine this with the larger typeface and it could make a significant difference in your enjoyment of the PPC experience.

Finally, I have never seen a PDA screen capable of putting out as much total light as that on the 800. I've got to keep the screen throttled way down for normal use.

Just some thoughts to keep in mind.

Janak Parekh
01-30-2004, 05:15 PM
This is the most active E-800 community I have found. Members have developed programs that open up the VGA capability to all installed programs, not just the Clearview apps that the Toshiba is limited to out of the box.
Yup, I've been reading it for a while. ;) My only problem is that the current Pocket PC OS has limitations on how well the built-in user controls scale. I'm personally OK with it, but I could imagine it would be a bit small for some.

Considering the controlling issue of your vision the modified 800's VGA capability, giving smooth, large print with a reasonable amount of information on the screen, can not be over emphasized.
True -- MS Reader and PIE are fantastic in 480x640 or 640x480.

Finally, I have never seen a PDA screen capable of putting out as much total light as that on the 800. I've got to keep the screen throttled way down for normal use.
I just keep mine in "auto" mode, and that seems to work great. ;)

--janak