View Full Version : Pocket PC memory questions

asarro
01-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Hi - this may not be directly AppForge related but can someone explain how the PPC memory works? I have a 3.5 meg PDB that takes up that much space in the Storage area. When I open this PDB it appears that the Running Program Memory is decreased by 7 megs. It seems that when this PDB is open it is actually taking up 10 megs on my device.

Is this PPC related or AF Booster related?

newst
01-29-2004, 06:32 PM
OK, It works like this:

First, you have the pdb file taking 3.5 meg in storage memory.

Then, to read the file the PPC copies the file (another 3.5 meg) and the program that is reading it (? meg) to program memory to function.

Add in whatever overhead files that Windows CE requires to operate the program and you get a 10 meg drop in available RAM.

Kowalski
01-30-2004, 09:57 AM
this is no suprise! the same thing happens when you use linux. any program that uses 100 kb of space on disk turn out to a giant in ram with 1 megs of space.

Janak Parekh
01-30-2004, 05:09 PM
this is no suprise! the same thing happens when you use linux. any program that uses 100 kb of space on disk turn out to a giant in ram with 1 megs of space.
Or Windows, or most any other platform, possibly excluding PalmOS (the one upside of Palm databases, IMHO).

I don't know anything about AppForge, but couldn't it be a little more clever about memory management, i.e., read only part of the file at a time?

--janak