View Full Version : what PPC can connect to output display device? (like projector?)

sdwised
01-29-2004, 11:10 AM
What PPC can connected to other output display device, so i can make a presentation with it? and how?
like a pdv file or power point?
can my V35 viewsonic connected to projector?
Thanks
Swise

rhmorrison
01-29-2004, 01:39 PM
What you need is a video output card (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=PK203) like these (http://www.mobileplanet.com/listing.asp?cat%5Fid=101&cat%5Fname=Pocket+PC+Devices&pdept%5Fid=28&dept%5Fid=3713&dept%5Fname=PDA+Presentation) unfortunately your PPC only has a Secure Digital (SD) slot and I haven't found a video card in this format.

The Margi Presenter-to-go (http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/margi_presenter.htm) is the only SD format device that I found after a quick search, unfortunately it is for Palm devices. You might contact them to see if they have (or will have in the near future) the same for a PocketPC.

Darren Behan
01-29-2004, 05:41 PM
What I'm wondering is why someone hasn't come up with a sync port based version of this (and while I'm ranting most of the other card based accessories)?

For instance, I went and looked at the product mentioned above. One of the features that they tout is the ability to save a presentation to a storage card. Precisely what use is that if you then have to remove the card to display the presentation?

I also looked at the EyeTop lcd glasses mentioned in another post and it is pretty much the same thing. How are you supposed to watch videos like they tout with 64 mb memory max?

Personally, I don't see any reason why the sync port can't be used but I'd be happy to be enlightened as to why that is (other than the fact that there are too many different types cause I don't know if I buy that arguement)

And don't get me started on how you can't find an SD version of virtually anything....

db

sracer
01-29-2004, 08:45 PM
This is exactly the reason why PPC devices with dual slots (SD/MMC and CF) are a "must-have" for me. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to explain to those who "didn't see the need" for more than 1 slot.

The SD and CF slots on my iPAQ 2215 are indispensible. I'm in the market for a VGA card and I'll be able to pick up a CF VGA card and have plenty of room for presentations. (256MB SD card)

As for why manufacturers don't use the sync port on the PPC.. it basically boils down to designing a device for an industry standard interface, like Compact Flash... or creating one for each individual device... there is no standard and those sync ports even vary within the same manufacturer.

They would end up either creating a unique version of their product for each device or creating one with a generic connector and then creating conversion dongles for each device.

Also, the sync port is "external" and things like a video card need to be an integral part of the system...which is only possible via an SD or CF slot.

Just look at the issues with external keyboards (non-IR keyboards).... it's a mess!

Sven Johannsen
01-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Don't forget that the ability to use any of the peripheral devices requires an SDIO slot, not just an SD slot. I don't believe the v35 has that in the in the first place, so you are pretty much out of luck with that particular device.

JGRicci
02-07-2004, 02:13 AM
you know what i hate more than people who want to present off the screen of their pocketPC's? That's people who enjoy the idea of tying a bigass vga cable to their mini-butt PPC. Seriously?! it defeats the point of having a nice small device! Take a look at 'SlideShow Commander' or periscope. Most places you go to present either A: have a computer hookd up to a projector or B: someone in the joint has a laptop, or even you do.

i found the slideshow commander software works AWESOME over bluetooth and wifi. I waltz all over the room, and control the slideshow from my pocketPC with speaker notes showing on my screen and all, you can even write on the slide and have it show up on the screen.

So really... ditch the cables, get loose!