View Full Version : Active Sync Stopped Working

cklaszlo
01-28-2004, 08:09 PM
I need some help.

I just got this error and it seams to have affected Active Sync from interfacing with Outlook. The web stuff syncs like Vindago and Avantgo but not the Calender, Contacts etc.

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/alextemp/error.jpg

I reinstalled Outlook and Active Sync. I don't think its a virus. It seams to be a DB error. Just not sure.

Thanks

Alex

Anthony Caruana
01-28-2004, 11:32 PM
OK...some general ifo about mpr.dll

DLL File: mpr or mpr.dll
DLL Name: Multiple Provider Router DLL
Description: File that contains functions used to handle communication between the Windows operating system and the installed network providers.
Part Of: Windows
System DLL: Yes
Common Errors: File Not Found, Missing File, Exception Errors

:google: revealed this article in the MS Knowldegebase

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q180127

Although it refers to Outlook 98 perhaps it is relevant to you. Not sure what version of OL you are running.

This seems confirmed in a FAQ I found at that says

Q. I get the error, The procedure entry point WNetEnumCachedPasswords could not be located in the dynamic link library MPR.DLL
A. This is usually caused by an incorrect mapi32.dll, sometimes software installs the Windows95 version. Copy mapi32.dll from your NT installation CD-ROM to %systemroot%/system32.

Hope this helps

cklaszlo
01-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks for your help.

This is what I had to do.

I'm running XP Pro SP-1, Outlook 2000 SP-3

Somehow one of the auto update programs, maybe Notron AV, maybe Vindago, who knows, installed a corrupted or new DLL that was not compatible with XP.

After some extenstive searching I found that the DLL in question was mapi32.dll (find it in the System32 folder). I deleted that file (MADE A BACK UP) and the found a earlier version of the same DLL on another system here at the office. Copied and pasted that into the System32 folder (you have to have admin permissions to do this). Rebooted and it seams to have corrected the error.

Whew. What a pain.