View Full Version : Before you super size that, read this.

JackTheTripper
01-28-2004, 12:18 AM
The McDonalds Diet (http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/16393.htm)

8O I'm stickin' with Taco Smell from now on. ;) (j/k)

PetiteFlower
01-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Lesson learned: Don't eat nothing but McDonald's.

Eating junk food occasionally, in an otherwise healthy diet, isn't going to hurt anyone.

People (Americans in particular) really need to learn the meaning of MODERATION.

Jason Dunn
01-28-2004, 02:27 AM
8O Whoa...crazy article. I can't wait to see the movie - I love those sorts of "corporate exposure" movies. :lol:

Dave Potter
01-28-2004, 02:40 AM
To some, this isn't a documentary - it's reality TV.
:jawdrop:

Tom W.M.
01-28-2004, 02:42 AM
Yikes! Scary stuff...but I can't wait to see the film. I won't feel too bad about my diet, after all, the only thing I ever get at McDonalds is a vanilla ice cream.

Tom W.M.
01-28-2004, 02:43 AM
To some, this isn't a documentary - it's reality TV.
If this can be called reality TV, I may just have to reconsider my position on the genre. :D

Kevin Remhof
01-28-2004, 03:37 AM
If you want to read a good book about the fast food industry, check out Fast Food Nation (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060938455/qid=1075257260//ref=pd_ka_1/104-5146585-1756746?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). It's part pop culture, part tell-all and is a great read. If you want to know what you're getting into at your favorite fast food joints, this is a good place to start.

I still eat fast food after reading this but I haven't had a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder with Cheese in over a year. (I do have a weakness for Wendy's burgers though... must resist... South Beach Diet is our friend...)

Jason Dunn
01-28-2004, 07:56 PM
If you want to read a good book about the fast food industry, check out Fast Food Nation (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060938455/qid=1075257260//ref=pd_ka_1/104-5146585-1756746?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). It's part pop culture, part tell-all and is a great read. If you want to know what you're getting into at your favorite fast food joints, this is a good place to start.

Yeah, I read that book - VERY scary. I think what offended me the most was the way the workers who treated by the big companies...

David Prahl
01-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Like a modern-day "Jungle". 8O

I would be very interested in seeing that movie - partially because it sounds interesting and partially because I hate McDonalds.

Frankie
01-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Im glad they finally came out with All White Meat McNuggets...

geez....makes you wonder what you were eating before this "new introduction"....

ntractv
01-28-2004, 09:02 PM
I can happily say that I have not stepped into a McDonalds for more than 4 years. Just didn't sit well with my digestive system.

Jason Dunn
01-28-2004, 09:47 PM
geez....makes you wonder what you were eating before this "new introduction"....

Assorted chicken parts and dark mean, mulched together and bleached white. I kid you not. 8O

dean_shan
01-28-2004, 10:18 PM

Assorted chicken parts and dark mean, mulched together and bleached white. I kid you not. 8O

Yeah I never been a fan of their nugets before. I tried on as a kid and hated it. They didn't even taste like chicken.

David Prahl
01-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Im glad they finally came out with All White Meat McNuggets...

We've all heard stories... 8O

pacemkr
01-29-2004, 06:18 AM
By no means is fast food healthy, but this experiment looks too biased against McDonalds. I dont know which meal sizes he ordered (although the picture gives you an idea :lol:), but 3 McDonalds meals a day looks a little too much. I dont think there is something specifically in mcdonalds food that makes you fat. Obviously its the fat itself and considering that it is fast food its not meant to replace your everyday meals.
Although you have the choice of several salads, he chose to eat burgers and CHOCOLATE SHAKES (come on, this has to have even more sugar than coke). I bet if he replaced all his mcdonalds meals with home fried food he would get exactly the same results. I agree with PetiteFlower on the fact that its not about fast food its about moderation. You cant eat untill you puke outside your cars window and expect to be healthy. This "experiment" seems useless to me. He once again proved that fastfood is bad for you as is any exess of fatty foods. Healthy diets are balanced. If you only eat lets say tomatoes for 30 days, you cannot expect to keep your health. You need fat, sugar, vitamins, minerals etc in your diet and its no secret that fast food cant provide that for you. Its not its purpose.

JustinGTP
01-29-2004, 07:29 AM
I went in McDonalds today because my friends wanted too, and because of this article I only had hot chocolate.

Hot chocolate if fine from McD's isn't it? Or is it? 8O

Thanks to you Jack..

-Justin.

David Prahl
01-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Hot chocolate if fine from McD's isn't it? Or is it?
-Justin.

Try holding a match up to it - if it's true McDonald's fare it'll burst into flames. :lol:

Kevin Remhof
01-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Time for the obligatory Simspons reference:

Dr. Nick: Hi everybody!
Homer+Bart: Hi Doctor Nick!
Dr. Nick: [to Homer] Now there are many options available for dangerously underweighted individuals like yourself. I recomment a slow, steady gorging process combined with assal horizontology.
Homer: [pensive] Of course.
Dr. Nick: [points to a chart] You'll want to focus on the neglected food groups such as the whipped group, the congealed group, and the chocotastic!
Homer: What can I do to speed the whole thing up, Doctor?
Dr. Nick: Well, be creative. Instead of making sandwiches with bread, use Pop-Tarts. Instead of chewing gum, chew bacon!
Bart: You could brush your teeth with milkshakes!
Dr. Nick: Hey, did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too? And remember, if you're not sure about something, rub it against a piece of paper. If the paper turns clear, it's your window to weight gain. Bye bye, everybody!

David Prahl
01-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Love that episode! :lol:

Jeff Rutledge
01-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Love that episode! :lol:

Ditto. I'd say it's "one of the best", but as my wife points out several time a week, I say that for most episodes. ;)

Kati Compton
01-29-2004, 05:23 PM
The gaining 25 lbs in 30 days is pretty scary. 8O

I can't remember the last time I had non-breakfast at McDonalds... And the last time I had breakfast there was 5+ years ago IIRC.