View Full Version : Snow Day, and I'm not completely estatic - Am I Growing up?

Jon Westfall
01-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Ok, this is troubling:

Snow has us packed in here (wonderful Cleveland) and my wonderful college (The University of Akron) has closed today (yesterday afternoon they closed, but I have no monday classes). Now, at this time, I'm only taking classes (My courses i teach don't start for another 2 weeks), but I find myself not overly estatic about a day off. Sure, I'll get some more sleep and probably just relax the day away wishing for warmer weather, but this also throws a big monkey wrench into my week, as I had things I wanted to get done today at UA, including visiting my office and checking in on enrollment, etc...

So does this mean I'm... <sign> growing up???

Post Yes or No in poll!

Kevin Remhof
01-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah, been there, done that. The last snow day I enjoyed was my Sophomore year at college. There was a big snowstorm across the midwest on a 3-day weekend. It became a 4-day weekend. But, the best part was that we came back a day early and it felt like 2 snow days.

Nowadays though, I get antsy at home. I had about 2 weeks off at Christmas and kept checking my work e-mail to see what was going on.

David Prahl
01-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Well, I haven't grown up yet - give me a snow day! :lol:

It was -40 F (with wind chill) last week and we still had school. It has snowed about 8 inches in a past 24 hours - school today.

Share the wealth! Send some of that snow-day goodness up here!

sebringal
01-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Snow days are one of the few things I miss about teaching full time----the others being Christmas vacation and summer vacation! I'd love to have a snow day again! Guess that means I've never really grown up!

Actually, that's partly why I changed careers---when I realized that those were the main things I enjoyed about teaching, I realized that must not be what I should be doing!

Enjoy your day off!

Kati Compton
01-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Well, I haven't grown up yet - give me a snow day! :lol:

It was -40 F (with wind chill) last week and we still had school. It has snowed about 8 inches in a past 24 hours - school today.

Share the wealth! Send some of that snow-day goodness up here!
Shhhh! I'd hate to see what counts as a snow day in Wisconsin... ;)

famousdavis
01-27-2004, 05:37 PM

This weekend, I went to the beach -- twice -- and worked on my tan in mid-to-upper 70 degree weather. The ocean surf was decidedly chilly, though, at about 72 degrees, so I only stayed in the water about 20 minutes.

So, I think I know what you mean about all the cold weather. :mrgreen:

Iznot Gold
01-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Here in the UK they've been predicting severe weather warnings and so I've been keeping my fingers crossed for 'Snow Days'. so far its just been cold and no snow...doh!
Mind you, it only requires an inch or so of snow to bring the country to a grinding halt so here's hoping :)
Reggards
David

buckyg
01-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Snow days make me *feel* old. Kids around here now get out just about any time there's even the slightest snow, ice or cold. Why, when I was a kid, it had to be blowing, drifting snow of 8 or more inches before they'd even think of closing school and even then they'd think long & hard about it. (I sure sound old now)

Every job I've had it's "Make it in late as you need to, as long as you make it in. If you don't, it's a day of your vacation time" There have been several times that I realized it was dangerous and stupid to even try going to work, so there went a day of vacation. And I still worked from home...

Mark Kenepp
01-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Snow has us packed in here (wonderful Cleveland) and my wonderful college (The University of Akron) has closed today...

When you are in a school system that is mandatory, i.e. high school and elementary school, snow days are great. :clap:

When you are paying to go to school, i.e. college, snow days are a couple hundred bucks (or more) that you will never get back. :really mad:

David Prahl
01-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Here in "the frozen tundra" (which is redundant), it's the school bus company that calls the snow days. If those big diesel buses can't start or the roads are icy, it is.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/misc/visit/minnesota_snowdrift.jpeg
Figure 1: The Common Lowland Minnesota Snowdrift (similar to a Wisconsin Drift).

Aerestis
01-27-2004, 07:31 PM
My home in 100 Mile House British Columbia can get the odd bit of snow, with tempuratues around 40 degrees celcius below. It's not too cold feeling though, because the air is so dry and the wind isn't always around. I almost prefer that weather to mid summer, hehe.

Oh, and you are growing up... which is terrible. You should eat backwards and only climb DOWN ladders, and don't forget to only drive in reverse. That might fix things.

edit: haha, I just had a look at the poll and when I saw that No had less votes I got all confused and suddenly thought, "But that's not right... If No had the same amount of votes, it would be even. It's only lower because it has less votes." Then I realized that that made perfect sense, and there was nothing wrong with the poll. Where does my brain go?

dean_shan
01-27-2004, 09:26 PM
It was -40 F (with wind chill) last week and we still had school.

Is that all?? :wink: It can get -60 F (without wind chill) and we'll still have school.

Steven Cedrone
01-27-2004, 09:28 PM
My class for tonight was just cancelled... And I couldn't be happier!!!

Steve

Dave Potter
01-27-2004, 10:11 PM
You American's are such wimps!

Try living in Canada. Now that's "the frozen tundra" - literally.

Oh Canada!

Steven Cedrone
01-27-2004, 10:15 PM
LOL, just the threat of snow closes the schools here... :wink:

Steve

Jeff Rutledge
01-27-2004, 10:17 PM

Steve

Parts of Canada are like that too. I lived in Vancouver for about a year. they got about an inch of snow and the City shut down. I think the entire city has like 2 snow plows.

I remember running a meeting with my staff when it started to fall. Everybody started freaking out telling me that they'd close the office if it continued. Coming from Calgary, I thought they were full of it (trying to pull one over on the new boss). Sure enough, everybody cleared out at about 3pm and hardly anybody made it in the next day.

Aerestis
01-27-2004, 10:22 PM

Oh Canada!

Here on Vancouver island, we don't get much snow. We actually have great weather usually aside from the rain. I remember a while back, our local rugby team had a few irish guys and then later some American guys come over for some games. They were all confused by there not being any snow and icicles and so on, they were really expecting it. They were complaining about the games before hand because they didn't understand why they were expected to play in snow :D Good old crooked ideas about Canadians living in igloos.

Aerestis
01-27-2004, 10:24 PM

Steve
I remember running a meeting with my staff when it started to fall. Everybody started freaking out telling me that they'd close the office if it continued. Coming from Calgary, I thought they were full of it (trying to pull one over on the new boss). Sure enough, everybody cleared out at about 3pm and hardly anybody made it in the next day.

haha, yeah, it is like that. It rains mostly in Vancouver though :cry:

dean_shan
01-27-2004, 10:24 PM

Hey not all of the US is wimpy. I live in the frozen tundra too.

Jeff Rutledge
01-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Good old crooked ideas about Canadians living in igloos.

To "borrow" from one of Jim Carrey's first stand-up routines:

We live in igloos, which protect us from wild animals and flying hockey pucks. :mrgreen:

famousdavis
01-27-2004, 10:40 PM

Hey, I don't like the implications here! :evil: :boohoo:

You're not implying that folks living in the tropics are wimpy, are you? 8O

As I said before in this thread, I was at the sunny beach this weekend -- for 2 hours! -- and thereby risked getting <u>skin cancer</u>! What's a little frostbite compared to THAT! You igloo-loving, pasty, ice-covered northerners have it easy by comparsion!

'Nuff said! :mrgreen:

David Prahl
01-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Forgot the borders - everyone south of 45 degrees north is a wimp! :mrgreen:

JonnoB
01-27-2004, 11:20 PM

Or the northerners are just silly for not flying south to a more moderate climate!

Dave Potter
01-28-2004, 12:15 AM

Oh - sorry. I always forget about Alaska. I think most Americans do too!

:mrgreen:

Dave Potter
01-28-2004, 12:20 AM

Or the northerners are just silly for not flying south to a more moderate climate!

Perhaps some of us prefer to live in Canada. Better schools. Better health care and most importantly, better looking women!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jon Westfall
01-28-2004, 12:25 AM

Hey, I don't like the implications here! :evil: :boohoo:

As I said before in this thread, I was at the sunny beach this weekend -- for 2 hours! -- and thereby risked getting <u>skin cancer</u>! What's a little frostbite compared to THAT! You igloo-loving, pasty, ice-covered northerners have it easy by comparsion!

'Nuff said! :mrgreen:

If there was ever a state in the US that shows the extreme spectrums of snow, its Ohio. northern ohio considers anything over 2.5 feet "a lot", Southern Ohio freaks out at 2 inches.

But seriously, I don't mind the amount of snow as much as I mind the wind. UA's campus is, seriously, a giant windtunnel. Some days, I think "This winter stuff might not be that bad if I wasn't getting blown around in it".

PetiteFlower
01-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Ok people let's not get in a US vs Canada battle, be nice.

If I hear one person say they had to walk barefoot to school in 2 feet of snow uphill BOTH WAYS, they're getting the geezer award. No exceptions!

Anyway wimpy is as wimpy does. Here's why:
People who live in areas that routinely have a very snowy winter are prepared for it. First, they tend to drive, or have access to, 4 wheel drive or otherwise snow-happy vehicles. Second, they also know how to drive in the snow better because there is more chance to practice. Therefore, they are less afraid to go out in the snow. In areas like where I live, we don't spend the entire winter under a white blanket but we usually get one or 2 big storms a year. People are less skillful at driving in it and there are more accidents. People also put "snow maneuverability" lower on the priority list when they buy a car. So there is a reason that people are more afraid to go out in it--not even for ourselves but for all the other idiots on the road who don't know what "too fast for conditions" is. I know how to drive in the snow ok but every time I do, I see at least one moron going way too fast weaving in and out of traffic, and accidents go WAY up.

It has nothing to do with wimpy, it's all in what you are accustomed to and what the population in your area is prepared for. I think I'd rather drive in a snowstorm in Vermont or Minnesota then in Philadelphia!

As for schools closing....think of a school bus. Not exactly the most easily maneuverable vehicle. And it has no seatbelts. And the potential costs, both emotional and monetary, of a school bus crash are monumental. Any wonder why a school district wouldn't want to risk it? Yes, I think that people today are more protective of their children then in times past....but is that really a bad thing? Any parents care to comment?

Oh and Famousdavis--you better watch it or someone's likely to put a hurtin' on you! There's no need to poke fun--unless of course you want us to laugh at you when your house is blowing away next hurricaine season!

Aerestis
01-28-2004, 12:50 AM

Perhaps some of us prefer to live in Canada. Better schools. Better health care and most importantly, better looking women!

He really does have a point though :wink: :)

famousdavis
01-28-2004, 02:06 AM

We homeschool. :mrgreen:

You need better healthcare. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You've obviously never been to our beaches. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

famousdavis
01-28-2004, 02:09 AM
Oh and Famousdavis--you better watch it or someone's likely to put a hurtin' on you! There's no need to poke fun--unless of course you want us to laugh at you when your house is blowing away next hurricaine season!

Agreed! Remind me to tell you sometime what it was like living through Hurricane Andrew back in '92. I live in Palm Beach county, 50 miles from where the hurricane actually landed on the ground, but it was bad enough for me to realize that hurricanes are devestating natural disasters.

But since the hurricane season doesn't commence until this coming June....

:mrgreen:

Dave Potter
01-28-2004, 02:22 AM

We homeschool. :mrgreen:

You need better healthcare. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You've obviously never been to our beaches. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let me get this straight... homeschooling is supposed to be better?
Bwaahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No - I meant that we have better health care - and it's FREE too!!! :D :D :D

And finally, you've obviously never been to Montreal, Vancouver or a Quebec strip club! 8O :drool: :werenotworthy:
(In case my wife reads this - neither have I :oops: - but I hear their pretty damn good !!!)

ombu
01-28-2004, 02:49 AM
I don't find what's so funny about strip clubs, as long as I know (never been there :lol: ) those are closed places where girls wear tinny clothes or none at all and you have to pay for the show and drinks, well, useless, you can have everything for free (except beer) at a daily frequency with the same view (well, almost or ... late at night :twisted: )just ... going down the street!!!

Yep, the only thing you need is a warm place to live in (CA, FLA, i.e.), WIMPY. :mrgreen:

Ed Hansberry
01-28-2004, 03:18 AM
No - I meant that we have better health care - and it's FREE too!!!
{chuckle} Free? haven't you noticed what you pay to the Gov't for that free service? :roll:

Kati Compton
01-28-2004, 03:20 AM
No - I meant that we have better health care - and it's FREE too!!!
{chuckle} Free? haven't you noticed what you pay to the Gov't for that free service? :roll:
I thought many people paid for supplemental insurance up there anyway... At least, that's what I was told when I was interviewing up there.

famousdavis
01-28-2004, 03:52 AM
Let me get this straight... homeschooling is supposed to be better?
Bwaahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess you missed this news story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040126/ap_on_re_us/colleges_home_schooling_1) in yesterday's AP headlines about homeschooling, huh?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Or perhaps you're disatisfied with homeschooled students because they:

-- score higher on SAT/ACT than public/private students?
-- are self-motivated for their own learning?
-- volunteer in their communities with greater frequency?
-- watch less TV?
-- resist peer pressure?

:mrgreen: :) :mrgreen: :) :mrgreen: :)

Maybe this article (http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/books/files/homeschool.pdf) would be a good read for you!

dean_shan
01-28-2004, 06:52 AM

It's OK, it happens more than you think. When I was working in a gift shop one summer, I accualy had people ask me if we took American money. Both Americans and non-Americans asked this.

dean_shan
01-28-2004, 06:56 AM

Nope. Just the ones that whine about it be 40F outside.

famousdavis
01-28-2004, 06:59 AM

Nope. Just the ones that whine about it be 40F outside.

I NEVER whine about it being 40F outside!

:D

PetiteFlower
01-28-2004, 08:55 AM
Free isn't always better--don't canadians have to come over here if they're looking for cutting edge treatments or rare and difficult surgeries? We don't need to get into the cost.....Canada doesn't have to spend what the US spends on the military, so that frees up a heck of a lot of money for other stuff. Considering dismantling the military here isn't really an option......well let's just say I don't think universal healthcare will happen here but I do hope that in the next 10 years we manage to come up with a system to cover the millions of working adults above the poverty line with no benefits.

Homeschool--can be good, can be bad. Some of the homeschooled kids I know are, shall we say, socially challenged. But that has as much to do with the parents as anything. If you homeschool you have to actually make an effort to see that your kids get to socialize in normal peer groups, it's not just book stuff we learn from school after all. I don't think though that anyone can generalize to say "homeschooling is better" or "canadian schools are better" or "american schools are better". Some schools in each group are excellent, some are ok, and some are the pitts. Just like everything else!

Oh and FD--just don't say I didn't warn you!

famousdavis
01-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Homeschool--can be good, can be bad. Some of the homeschooled kids I know are, shall we say, socially challenged...If you homeschool you have to actually make an effort to see that your kids get to socialize in normal peer groups, it's not just book stuff we learn from school after all.

That's too bad. Normally, homeschooled kids are very well-adjusted, having spent less time with their peer group and more time with a variety of non-peers. That's why most homeschooled kids interact very well with adults.

The trick, of course, is to make the effort to get the kids out of the house where they learn to socialize in different situations: Cub scouts, Boy scouts, Bible clubs, YMCA, science clubs, art classes, theater, band, sports, etc.

One major benefit of homeschooling is that interaction with their peer group is extremely well-managed -- I choose with whom my child socializes within his peer group, and how much contact and influence his peers have over him. That's an enormous benefit during the young, formative years.

But that has as much to do with the parents as anything.

Agreed!

I don't think though that anyone can generalize to say "homeschooling is better" or "canadian schools are better" or "american schools are better". Some schools in each group are excellent, some are ok, and some are the pitts. Just like everything else!.

Wellll...I will say that homeschooling is not an end-all, be-all solution. It fits some parents, it doesn't fit many other parents.

For those who choose to homeschool, I will say that it is almost always the best choice for that student. The family dynamics behind homeschooling become a tremendous asset to the child, and a public school environment can't compete with the unique, custom-made, tailor-fit education of a homeschool. That's why, in the end, homeschool students -- as a whole -- perform better in standardized tests than their public/private peers. One-on-one instruction is better than 30-to-1 instruction.

Oh and FD--just don't say I didn't warn you!

I look forward to the ribbing I'll surely get next wet season! :)

Jon Westfall
01-28-2004, 02:58 PM

It's OK, it happens more than you think. When I was working in a gift shop one summer, I accualy had people ask me if we took American money. Both Americans and non-Americans asked this.

That's the kind of thing that would make me flip out on someone... which is why I moved from retail to 2 fields that have absolutly nothing to do with caring about others feelings or putting up with incompetence: psychology and teaching.

Kati Compton
01-28-2004, 03:25 PM
You're SERIOUS? That's really REALLY bad.

You should have told them no, that you only accepted Euros. :twisted:

Janak Parekh
01-28-2004, 04:53 PM
You should have told them no, that you only accepted Euros. :twisted:
Yeah, right. They wouldn't know what Euros are either. :roll:

I'd say "We accept only Alaskans, and one Alaskan is 10 USD." Now that would be profitable. :grinning devil:

--janak