View Full Version : Looking for WiFi tools for Socket CF WiFi card on PPC2003

Martin I Pettinger
01-26-2004, 10:45 AM
-
Hi

My new WiFi CF card arrived on Saturday - got it on eBay for $40 including international shipping and it arrived after 6 days and at the great exchange rate of $1.8 to the £1 - woo hoo.

Think it is a rebranded Socket card or has the same chip set as Socket due to the drivers it uses. The card itself is blue and called Wireless Worker.

Downloaded the driver for PPC2003 from Socket, installed, plugged the card in and it picked up my Wireless Router - so I popped in the WEP details and I was connected.

Absolutely brilliant - so different to my early bluetooth experiences. Only thing is there does not appear to be any WiFi tools on my ipAQ 2210 - I checked sockets site and they talk about zero configuration only.

I.e. if a WiFi network is detected a bubble pops up for you to connect. What I would like is a utility to check signal strength so I can do a walk round the house and outside to map signal.

Anyone know of any WiFi tools that I can install to get more info on what is happening. By the way also got WiFi activesync working - just had to select Sync on the iPAQ - Wow - WiFi is great!

Martin

FernandoD
01-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Hi,

So far, the only one that works for me with my socket CF wifi card and my 2215 is pocketWiNc.

Best regards / Fernando

Martin I Pettinger
01-28-2004, 12:12 PM
-
Hi

Thanks for the info. I am trialing the software at the moment. One thing that doesn't seem to work for me though is the signal strength which only ever seems to display 100% - or is that signal quality. I was hoping for a tool to map the drop off in signal from my house - i.e. see where my network is accessible. Anyone else know any other tools - I note there is a post today for a new Socket driver which I am going to try.

Martin
-