View Full Version : eVC++ vs VB .NET

Amelia
01-26-2004, 12:13 AM
I would like to develope a LAN messenger on Pocket PC 2003 (thourgh Wi-Fi)

1. I've read the documentation in MSDN. However, I still cannot differentciate between managed code and native code. That's why I can't decide whether my application should be condidered as which one...
2. I should use eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 or Visual Basic .NET (or perhaps VC .NET/C# .NET)?
3. If u suggest me to use VB .NET / VC / C#, it allows me to use PPC 2003 Emulator?

Thanks!! :D

dangerwit
01-26-2004, 08:33 AM
1. It depends on what you want to do. In VB.NET, there are more helpful libraries for networking than in eVC++. And you still have access to the API through PInvoke. Think of it this way: API stuff is native, .NET calls, code, and framework in general are managed.

2. If you're developing on 2003, .NET is the way to go. C# is also an option... in .NET, there isn't nearly the gap between VB and C# as in older versions. VB is no longer a "businessman's development language" in .NET, but a legitimately decent tool.

3. If VC = eVC++ 4.0, then all three of those environments you listed can run an emulator.

I develop in managed code whenever I can. eVC++ 4.0 is good, but I'm betting it will eventually go away much sooner than the .NET stuff. VB.NET is leaps-and-bounds a better language than eVB ever was, and much easier to use than eVC++ 3.0.

Good luck,
*Phil

Kowalski
01-27-2004, 04:02 PM
i hate the idea of managed code! and microsoft is forcing us to use it.
what is the idea behind C ? building efficient and optimized code!
for years they sold VB to children and C++ to professionals. but now they dont pay enough attention to C++ and developing a stupid language called c#. i hate this