View Full Version : Getting my Active Sync to recognize my computer wirelessly

bilbo1969
01-25-2004, 07:18 PM
I've been searching these threads for my situation, but haven't seen anything quite similar...

I have an Ipaq 3650 connecting via Ambicon wireless CF card to my Linksys router. I can surf the net/web just fine, but my ActiveSync attempts end in tears. I think it has to do with the fact that my PPC settings for ActiveSync says to connect remotely to a computer name that doesn't exist on my network, but I can't seem to change it.

Keeping in mind that I am relatively new to the PPC could someone walk me step by step through the process without a lot of the tech-talk?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, great forum!

bilbo1969
01-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Boy, lots of looks but no replies.

If it helps any my coniguration is as follows:
Desktop is running Window XP home - connected directly to the Linksys Broadband wireless router which is connected to my DSL modem.

Ipaq 3650 was upgraded to Pocket Pc 2002 and has the Ambicon 802.11b wireless card installed.

My Desktop has "Bils Sony" as it's regular name and VALUED-XXXXXXXX (privacy, you know) as it's host name.

When I try to change my activesync settings on the iPaq, the "Include PC when... " box is checked but the only computer I can hook up with is "Bil" (and yes, I know I spell my name with only one 'l'... long story) :lol:

ctmagnus
01-25-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm not 100% sure this will work but if you're comfortable editing the registry, it's worth a try.

Get a good registry editor for the Pocket PC (I recommend this one (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/)) and navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners and find the key relating to your computer (probably P1). If the PName value isn't the name of the computer you want to synchronize with, change it to this. Shutdown the registry editor, soft-reset and try again. It should work this time. If not, I'm as stumped as you are. :)

bilbo1969
01-25-2004, 11:27 PM
So... are you saying to use the host name or the name that I gave the pc when I set it up?

ctmagnus
01-26-2004, 01:38 AM
You want the desktop name (right-click on my computer, click Properties then the Computer Name tab and you want the Full computer name, minus the dot at the end, iirc).

Sven Johannsen
01-26-2004, 03:51 AM
Not sure if this is a problem here, but I don't think the space in your PC name is valid. The underscore in the default PPC name, Pocket_PC has driven folks nuts when trying to get networking to work.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;101785

I'd try sticking a dash in there, and change it from Pocket_PC if that is still there.

bilbo1969
01-26-2004, 04:02 AM
Now, won't that change my status with my syncing? I changed the desktop name to drop the space, but if I change the pocket pc name the computer won't recognize it as the same one, right? Any way around this?