View Full Version : PHP Error - Help!

JustinGTP
01-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Hello PPCC members!

I am making a website on a free server on lycos.co.uk and I am getting this error on the main page because Im trying to take the first category of my PHPBB forum and make it show up on the main page as news (View Here (http://members.lycos.co.uk/pocketpcconnection/))

Here is the error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /data/members/free/tripod/uk/p/o/c/pocketpcconnection/htdocs/index.php:8) in /data/members/free/tripod/uk/p/o/c/pocketpcconnection/htdocs/forum/includes/sessions.php on line 293

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /data/members/free/tripod/uk/p/o/c/pocketpcconnection/htdocs/index.php:8) in /data/members/free/tripod/uk/p/o/c/pocketpcconnection/htdocs/forum/includes/sessions.php on line 294

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

-Justin.

Dave Beauvais
01-25-2004, 04:11 AM
This can often be solved by enabling PHP output buffering, but I kinda doubt you'll be able to do it on a free, essentially public server since the providers rarely give users that level of access to the system.

Since that Lycos server runs Apache, if you have the ability to edit the .htaccess file, add the line PHP_FLAG output_buffering on to it. You can also enable output buffering in the php.ini file, but again, I doubt Lycos gives users the ability to do that. (Besides, changing the ini file would require some services on the server to be restarted.)

If you can edit the .htaccess file, give that line a try; otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. I had to enable this setting for my site due to the same error and haven't seen it since. Somewhat annoyingly, some pages of my site showed up in Google with that error as the page description since that's what the GoogleBots saw when crawling the site. :)

This page (http://www.zend.com/zend/art/buffering.php) gives some info about output buffering if you're interested.

dmacburry2003
01-25-2004, 05:14 AM
Don't have any help, but I was curious, Justin:

Are you paying anything to keep that site up? (besides your isp conn.)

I also noticed you have a hotmail address...

JustinGTP
01-25-2004, 06:20 AM
... a free, essentially public server...

Well - there is the answer to your first question. Yes, it is free! I am looking into a paid one though...

And you think I would give out an email address that I have paid for? I use hotmail on all my sites because I dont really care if I get spam. We have paid internet and paid email accounts, don't know what you are really looking for here lol :D

-Justin.

And thank you SO MUCH Dave! Im going to try that and see. I knew that when you answered this topic that I was actually going to get some real good help :way to go:

dmacburry2003
01-25-2004, 06:27 AM
I have both paid and unpaid e-mail accounts.

I have about.... seven e-mail addresses (hotmail, rcn, yahoo, etc.)

One of which is paid for :wink:

I asked because I wanted to know if it was possible to create a very up-to-date and interactive site with customer service for a little less than a penny.

JustinGTP
01-25-2004, 06:35 AM
You can do a lot with Lycos because they support MYSQL and PHP, but only 1 database and bandwidth is limited.

-Justin.

JustinGTP
01-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Dave,

It turns out they will not let you edit the HTACCESS file. They have one, but it is invisible. I made my own, it comes up as Server Error. Oh well...

-Justin.

Dave Beauvais
01-27-2004, 02:49 AM
That's too bad, but really not all that surprising. With the number of things you can do with .htaccess files, it makes sense to prohibit their use on free, public servers with many of hosted sites. You might try asking if they can enable output buffering in the server's php.ini file, but I'd be shocked if you even got a human response, let alone have them make the change.